What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2022 Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
that's one literal definition, but others that fit DBT's statement even better include:
  • no longer possessed
  • ruined or destroyed physically or morally
  • taken away or beyond reach or attainment
  • lacking assurance or self-confidence
M-W link
Not to quibble, but those are all definitions of "lost" as an adjective. DBT clearly used it as a verb.

However, if there are twenty players gone into the portal, I think it is reasonable to make a statement like DBT did. The team will bear such a small resemblance to last year's squad, that it is apt to describe it as having literally been lost. (As in "to fail to keep, maintain, or sustain" - also Mirriam Webster)

In other words: DBT's post - accurate. Not Sure's post - overliteral. Hokie's post - inapposite.

🤓

that's one literal definition, but others that fit DBT's statement even better include:
  • no longer possessed
  • ruined or destroyed physically or morally
  • taken away or beyond reach or attainment
  • lacking assurance or self-confidence
M-W link
I’m thinking along the line of “lost to attrition” or “lost manpower.”

Not to quibble, but those are all definitions of "lost" as an adjective. DBT clearly used it as a verb.

However, if there are twenty players gone into the portal, I think it is reasonable to make a statement like DBT did. The team will bear such a small resemblance to last year's squad, that it is apt to describe it as having literally been lost. (As in "to fail to keep, maintain, or sustain" - also Mirriam Webster)

In other words: DBT's post - accurate. Not Sure's post - overliteral. Hokie's post - inapposite.

🤓
See #3 below.

lose verb
\ ˈlüz \
lost\ ˈlȯst \; losing\ ˈlü-ziŋ \
Essential Meaning of lose
1: to be unable to find (something or someone)
She's always losing her gloves.
Don't lose your keys.
2: to fail to win (a game, contest, etc.)
lose a battle/game
She lost her bid for reelection. [=she failed to win the election; she was not reelected]
3: to fail to keep or hold (something wanted or valued)
lose an advantage
The country lost its independence 50 years ago.

See #3 below.

lose verb
\ ˈlüz \
lost\ ˈlȯst \; losing\ ˈlü-ziŋ \
Essential Meaning of lose
1: to be unable to find (something or someone)
She's always losing her gloves.
Don't lose your keys.
2: to fail to win (a game, contest, etc.)
lose a battle/game
She lost her bid for reelection. [=she failed to win the election; she was not reelected]
3: to fail to keep or hold (something wanted or valued)
lose an advantage
The country lost its independence 50 years ago.
continued:

Full Definition of lose
transitive verb

1a: to bring to destruction —used chiefly in passive construction
the ship was lost on the reef
b: DAMN
if he shall gain the whole world and lose his own soul
— Matthew 16:26 (King James Version)
2: to miss from one's possession or from a customary or supposed place
lost his glove
3: to suffer deprivation of : part with especially in an unforeseen or accidental manner
lost his leg in an auto accident
4a: to suffer loss through the death or removal of or final separation from (a person)
lost a son in the war
b: to fail to keep control of or allegiance (see ALLEGIANCE sense 2) of
lose votes
lost his temper
5a: to fail to use : let slip by : WASTE
no time to lose
b(1): to fail to win, gain, or obtain
lose a prize
lose a contest
(2): to undergo defeat in
lost every battle
c: to fail to catch with the senses or the mind
lost what she said
6: to cause the loss of
7: to fail to keep, sustain, or maintain
lost my balance
8a: to cause to miss one's way or bearings
lost himself in the maze of streets
b: to make (oneself) withdrawn from immediate reality
lost herself in daydreaming
9a: to wander or go astray from
lost his way
b: to draw away from : OUTSTRIP
lost his pursuers
10: to fail to keep in sight or in mind
lost the thief in the crowded street
11: to free oneself from : get rid of
dieting to lose weight
12slang : REGURGITATE, VOMIT —often used in such phrases as lose one's lunch

Jim Carrey I Dont Care GIF

I like this, every time someone uses "literally" we should precisely define the word or action to which the "literally" was applied in order to determine if said usage was appropriate. Then create a poll to determine the fate of the poster if said usage was not in keeping with "literally".

I like this, every time someone uses "literally" we should precisely define the word or action to which the "literally" was applied in order to determine if said usage was appropriate. Then create a poll to determine the fate of the poster if said usage was not in keeping with "literally".
This is literally the best idea I've seen today.

Offer list is not the top priority. The coaches should sign the players that can help the program. Analytics has destroyed society. The future will be using data to rank who should have a child. Did you go to a FCS school or not? How many offers did you get?
Nope FBS about 40.
Do I get to have kids?

How far are we from The Junta closing the football forum to establish the new Allbuffs grammar forum? They could easily triple page views.
You need a solid topic sentence, proper development, support and a conclusion. Paragraph structure is important. I am afraid this post needs a lot of work to pass muster. If I grade it now, I will give it a D+, solely on the originality of the premise. If you want to resubmit, I will regrade and replace the D+ with your new grade.

Offer list is not the top priority. The coaches should sign the players that can help the program. Analytics has destroyed society. The future will be using data to rank who should have a child. Did you go to a FCS school or not? How many offers did you get?
I had 6 offers. Had 2 kids. One of those 2 kids had 10 offers. What's the analytics on those numbers, Mr. Hawking?

You need a solid topic sentence, proper development, support and a conclusion. Paragraph structure is important. I am afraid this post needs a lot of work to pass muster. If I grade it now, I will give it a D+, solely on the originality of the premise. If you want to resubmit, I will regrade and replace the D+ with your new grade.
I think this forum might do well to require the law school-based I.R.A.C. standard: State the ISSUE you have identified, followed by the RULE are you applying, then do the ANALYSIS, and (only then) proceed to the CONCLUSION which necessarily flows therefrom

I think this forum might do well to require the law school-based I.R.A.C. standard: State the ISSUE you have identified, followed by the RULE are you applying, then do the ANALYSIS, and (only then) proceed to the CONCLUSION.
I OBJECT!

When it comes to Iraq, I personally believe

She contemplated suicide after that. Yikes!

“One group of girls took me to this party at the University of South Carolina, and I walk in, and the entire USC baseball team surrounded me and bashed me with the harshest, meanest comments I had ever heard,” she said. “And somebody once put a letter in my parents’ mailbox about how my body was going to be eaten alive by ants and burned in a freak fire. And then it said, in all caps, GO DIE CAITE UPTON, GO DIE FOR YOUR STUPIDITY.”

Last edited:
Literally? Like he’s physically unable to find the team? I would tend to think they’d mostly be at the Champions Center. Really should be pretty easy to locate, though.
I was thinking. I wonder if he could find Brenden Rice right now? I wonder if he wants to! :LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back