What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2022 Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
The p;rogram was already in a bad shape before KD arrived. Even EB rejected the job. It will take time to rebuild the program. Can't be done overnight. Some folks think any one can come in and wave a magic wand "Abracadra" and magically the team will win games and there will a bunch of so called 5 star blue chip freshmen ready to come to CU. It took the Original Coach Mac a while to build the program. It will take any coach 2 or 3 years minimum with the restrictions facing CU.
2 or 3 years you say? Cool, this is year 3, so I can’t wait to see the fruits of the rebuild this season.

Year 2 and a half. But KD got to show progress. 6-6 would be a good season.
And given your own 2-3 year timeline for a rebuild, would you agree that missing a bowl this year (his 3rd season) would indicate the rebuild is not going well?

Yes, I would acknowlege that. And his job would be at risk.
Interesting, I hope you’re right. I’m afraid KD and RG actually see this as a 5-6 year rebuild and even a 2-3 win season won’t put his job at risk, but again I hope you’re right.

somewhere on the incarnate word board (if there is one) there is a thread bemoaning the transfer portal and how its ruining football for small schools who just cant compete with the big boys
If we’re taking kids from UIW, this dude is awesome.

The program wasn't in 'bad shape's when Tucker left. Nothing needed to be rebuilt.

Just continue with the same strategy that got you Tucker and build off his recruiting.

Instead it has been torched and we may be looking at the worst team in CU history.

I suppose I appreciate the underlying sentiment of your post, but the initial premise of what you're asserting is entirely disconnected from the conclusion you draw: people choosing not to go back to their old jobs during the pandemic does not relate to (or support) the idea that "people don't understand development, progress based on performance," etc.

You are placing your own singular interpretation of the varied reasons "millions of Americans...decided not to return to their old job" as being only "I want something better right now." I disagree with that premise on its face, to begin with, but it also wildly over-generalizes the choices made by "millions" in various circumstances and places in their lives. There can be no factual dispute that a significant part of his trend, at this time, is employees simply not feeling safe to return to work and choosing their health (and their family's health) over their job. Beyond that, this movement should rationally be seen as an expression of developing trends in employment which cannot be dispositively linked to the assertion "I want something better right now" and the implied "I don't want to work hard to get it at some point in the future." To be blunt, a lot of recent job growth has been jobs that just plain suck, offer low pay (relative to cost of living) with no real advancement (wage growth had completely stagnated until very recently), doing repetitive grunt work that grinds anyone down over time, while having no sense that your job is meaningful in any way (which studies have shown to be more important to workers even than relative salary). Over the past forty plus years, we have shipped manufacturing and better paying jobs overseas where companies can pay pennies on the dollar for labor, leaving essentially dead-end service jobs as the main replacement "industry." Most jobs do not offer pensions anymore, having been replaced with the moveable 401K system and its ilk, so that companies don't have to be on the hook to their employees long term. And yet your premise appears to complain that it's only the employees that have no loyalty, drive, patience, or commitment. Sure, that may be AN issue, but is not the only issue, or even the one ultimately driving any of these particular trends.

To assert that all these millions of people have chosen not to go back to work only because they are too impatient and demanding is a massive leap of speculative over-generalization.

Bringing this back to CU football, the reasons for workers choosing not to return to jobs that don't value them is only connected to the CU problem if you conclude that CU players do not feel there is a future at CU for them to flourish and benefit. Why else would a player go to (or stay) at a football program? All of this seems to have little to do with players not wanting to work hard and has everything to do with what reasonable expectations those players may have if they do work hard. Why would a player rationally wish to stay in a program that they see as a dead-end? Why would a player rationally choose to stay at a program that is on the bottom of the competitive heap, churning through day after day of hard work with little expectation of that status improving? Why would a running back choose to stay on a team where he will run into a wall of defensive linemen on every play, when he may be able to find a team capable of opening running lanes as a matter of course. Sure, some of this is players wanting to go someplace they don't have to ride the bench for years in hopes of getting on the field, and the transfer portal opened a door for that. But that's not really the problem we are facing. We are losing the guys already on the field.

That's before we even add in the NIL component, as the biggest concerns with this program relate to the loss of our best players who might actually have a path to NIL money. To wit, the present problem with CU football is not the players on the team--or getting the "right" players who don't care that we suck and are willing to work hard and commit to the program without question regardless of its floundering status.

CU Football is CU Football's problem--systemic and wide-ranging.

(Sorry it took so long to get to this conclusion. Clearly, this hit a broader nerve.)
I feel you're over thinking my comment. My point is, the pandemic brought home the fact life can be short, and end suddenly. One result is that many are no longer satisfied with a 'status quo' they didn't mind before. Youth suicide since the pandemic is at an all-time high. That's because kids are confused and often scared.

Did you even read my post, the one you spent a half-hour responding to? Not very closely, if at all. I never came close to asserting: "all these millions of people have chosen not to go back to work only because they are too impatient and demanding" That is YOU, putting words into my mouth, so you can refute them. That's one way to win an argument - present both sides.

Look, it's as simple as this. RG hired Mel Tucker and put a lot of money and support on the line.

Mel became Midnight Mel when he realized that CU didn't have the culture (fanbase, admin, town etc) to be massively supportive with the changes coming to the CFB landscape. Timing was bad, but the class had been signed.

Rick was shaken, unprepared for what had transpired. Lance Carl looked like a complete ass as he was still BFF'ing around with Mel as Mel negotiated.
Rick should have fired Lance Carl on the spot.

Rick then tries to make another superstar hire and is left at the alter by Sark. At this point, Rick had plenty of time and our reputation was still intact enough to go after reasonably sound plan B coaches. We could take a month (even though most of the board was in panic) - as the only thing in jeopardy was spring practice. So what? Make a good hire.

He completely lost his mind and went with KD, probably listening to Lance Carl. Somehow, the wake up the KD corpse, who's resume was hot garbage since UCLA. I could get past the UCLA experience given he was very young, it was his first job and he was going up against USC and Pete Carroll. But from there, he became a position coach with no real screaming success, he had a run as a college OC which was complete garbage, and he'd built his retirement home in Boulder, knowing that he would never get another chance as a coordinator, or head coach.

Then Rick compounds that mistake with giving him a full market-value contract (as if KD wouldn't have taken much, much less) with more favorable termination terms (especially). KD would have taken an OC job at below market price, never mind a HC job in Boulder where he had just built his forever home for he and his lovely wife.

Honestly, starting with Rick getting left at the alter by Mel/Sark in quick succession, everything from that point forward, spells panic and poor judgement. Crack whore level thought process.

Lastly, I own a business, and my 20+ years of season tickets are in my business' name. But more importantly, nobody from the AD has ever broached what role my business might play in the NIL era. Honestly, it would NOT have mattered as my business is a B2B business with all out-of-state clients, many not even US based. I can't even give away the tickets to clients most of the time and had already decided that 2021 was the last year. So I would not have put my business money on the line for this. But I imagine the AD does NOT know that. I buy season tickets and parking passes thru my business so you'd think they'd have a program to at least get me to say no. Pitch me the NIL era program Rick! Nope. Rick is pretending that this is bad for CFB (I agree) and therefore, CU won't put together a plan.

So with this email, I am swearing off the Buffs until Rick does something proactively. I'm done investing both financially and emotionally.

Look, it's as simple as this. RG hired Mel Tucker and put a lot of money and support on the line.

Mel became Midnight Mel when he realized that CU didn't have the culture (fanbase, admin, town etc) to be massively supportive with the changes coming to the CFB landscape. Timing was bad, but the class had been signed.

Rick was shaken, unprepared for what had transpired. Lance Carl looked like a complete ass as he was still BFF'ing around with Mel as Mel negotiated.
Rick should have fired Lance Carl on the spot.

Rick then tries to make another superstar hire and is left at the alter by Sark. At this point, Rick had plenty of time and our reputation was still intact enough to go after reasonably sound plan B coaches. We could take a month (even though most of the board was in panic) - as the only thing in jeopardy was spring practice. So what? Make a good hire.

He completely lost his mind and went with KD, probably listening to Lance Carl. Somehow, the wake up the KD corpse, who's resume was hot garbage since UCLA. I could get past the UCLA experience given he was very young, it was his first job and he was going up against USC and Pete Carroll. But from there, he became a position coach with no real screaming success, he had a run as a college OC which was complete garbage, and he'd built his retirement home in Boulder, knowing that he would never get another chance as a coordinator, or head coach.

Then Rick compounds that mistake with giving him a full market-value contract (as if KD wouldn't have taken much, much less) with more favorable termination terms (especially). KD would have taken an OC job at below market price, never mind a HC job in Boulder where he had just built his forever home for he and his lovely wife.

Honestly, starting with Rick getting left at the alter by Mel/Sark in quick succession, everything from that point forward, spells panic and poor judgement. Crack whore level thought process.

Lastly, I own a business, and my 20+ years of season tickets are in my business' name. But more importantly, nobody from the AD has ever broached what role my business might play in the NIL era. Honestly, it would NOT have mattered as my business is a B2B business with all out-of-state clients, many not even US based. I can't even give away the tickets to clients most of the time and had already decided that 2021 was the last year. So I would not have put my business money on the line for this. But I imagine the AD does NOT know that. I buy season tickets and parking passes thru my business so you'd think they'd have a program to at least get me to say no. Pitch me the NIL era program Rick! Nope. Rick is pretending that this is bad for CFB (I agree) and therefore, CU won't put together a plan.

So with this email, I am swearing off the Buffs until Rick does something proactively. I'm done investing both financially and emotionally.
Not to defend the AD or RG as most of what you say is valid, but I believe the state of CO has some limitations on what the universities can do to seek NIL deals. I can't find the details, but I think it came out of the RG press conference related to NIL.

Let’s see, the 2022 defensive front seven has some experience but most of that involves not getting to the QB and getting torched by underneath crossing routes. The 2022 defensive backfield is, uh, scary inexperienced and without QB pressure from the front seven they’re gonna get lit up. A lot. New schemes will be introduced so players will be out of position and confused for a while. Points allowed, yards allowed per game are gonna be epic.

Then there’s the 2022 offense. Questionable skill positions that are either mostly untested and/or awaiting giant leaps of improvement. Some true freshmen will have to play, if not start. Yikes. Add in new schemes and terminology. Gonna be lots of mistakes, penalties for a while. The OL? Uhmm, yeah. We’re gonna kinda hafta get used to that being the worst we’ve ever seen. So, maybe we won’t actually see much of the offense in 2022 cuz every play is likely to involve some kind of jail-break from the opposing defense, blowing up any sort of “play” CU was attempting.

Punting and place kicking should be good. The punter will get a lot of work. The place kicker, not so much.
It may be a good thing that we have a tough schedule this season.

After going winless at least we won't have to explain one of the losses coming to a mediocre FCS team like Northern Colorado.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back