What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2022 Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well one less

End Of The World Mind Blown GIF by Daybreak

I have a similar opinion and I’m not mad. It’s like a free agent in the NFL who left the team who drafted him for a bigger contract with a division rival. I get it, but I will never root for that player to succeed again as a football player in college.
Why blame the player when the inept staff and admin at this school can do nothing right to keep players here? Misplaced anger and disappointment.

Well one less

This is a problem inherent in the new, ad hoc system. Once a team starts to lose players, it’s going to become a cascade problem. How do you get players to come to (or stay at) a sinking ship. It may become a reality that a number of teams are incapable of fielding real teams…. We seem to be at the front of that line….

I knew this was going to continue to cascade like this when I saw RG’s press conference, without even knowing what he was going to say specifically. You don’t have a press conference like that if you haven’t been hearing ominous warnings from players, both in the program and out. I lay bets they’ve had players tell them—outright—that they have been promised NIL money elsewhere and don’t see CU as being competitive in that (and even on multiple levels).

This really isn’t even about football right now. it’s about perception and money. This is an unprecedented moment in sports, as far as I can tell.

The lack of transfer portal signings is the big red flag (we have one QB with a really odd tape, right?). I think it’s highly likely this may not end until it truly raises issues with fielding a team. Does this become a player safety issue at some point, having to play guys who really shouldn’t be out there? I suppose we can take a bunch of former walk-ons. Not sure what that looks like.

Last edited:
Hate to even feel this way in January, but 0-12 seems like a real possibility next year. My only hope is that the team (what’s left of it) gels and plays well above expectation. HCKD clearly isn’t painting a vision that inspires guys to be a part of the program.

Here we go again. Reacting to every transfer like it is the end of the world. There is going to be more transfrs even after spring ball. CU is going to add guys even during summer. Lers calm down and wait for the final roster. At the end of the day, CU will need to play better on the OL and DL to be a better football team. There are good prospects in the secondary that we can still add from the portal. CU will probably add one Corner and one safety. The young guys like Dixson, Xavier, Oake, Mills, Harris and Wiggins will play early. Hopefully Woods, N Reed, Taylor and Moore can take the next step in their development. We are going to be a young team not by choice. But no point sulking. The coaches got to coach them up, starting with spring football. The goods news is Wiggins, Oake, X Smith I think are early enrolees. M Blackmon didn't really play down the stretch last season. It was the young guys like Moore and Reed that played alongside C Gonzeles.

Last edited:
The trajectory of teams is getting accelerated exponentially. I fully expected a few abysmal years but didn’t think it would happen so quick. Fortunately positive momentum can potentially work the same way. Get a fired up, charismatic guy with a vision and a program could probably turn around a lot quicker than 5-10 years ago

Here we go again. Reacting to every transfer like it is the end of the world. There is going to be more transfrs even after spring ball. CU is going to add guys even during summer. Lers calm down and wait for the final roster. At the end of the day, CU will need to play better on the OL and DL to be a better football team. There are good prospects in the secondary that we can still add from the portal. CU will probably add one Corner and one safety. The young guys like Dixson, Xavier, Oake, Mills, Harris and Wiggins will play early. Hopefully Woods, N Reed, Taylor and Moore can take the next step in their development. We are going to be a young team not by choice. But no point sulking. The coaches got to coach them up, starting with spring football. The goods news is Wiggins, Oake, X Smith I think are early enrolees. M Blackmon didn't really play down the stretch last season. It was the young guys like Moore and Reed that played alongside C Gonzeles.
I felt this way, essentially, prior to losing 3/4ths of the entire starting defensive backfield without taking on ANY replacements through a historic period with the most jam-packed portal that will likely ever exist. We are bare bones at depth… having lost real, young talent and starters… we needed to up-grade not lose our best talent with no replacements.

And, as I understand it, we start classes Monday (?), and CU is not like A&M (for instance) in allowing mid-year transfers academically. (Maybe I’m wrong on this, but I see CU admin as being a stumbling block in the midst of the team already falling over.)

It’s getting close to the point where any one we “pick up” can only join in the summer… which does not help build any momentum toward/during spring ball, or even being able to field two teams for a “game” like good teams do (even just for presentation purposes).

Most critically, we seem to have NO NIL strategy or money to compete for players with. This is a year when teams are-quite literally-buying players through the portal. Yet, we appear to be coupon clipping like an episode of Extreme Couponing, looking to get to the register without having to pay any money…. as a plan.

RG, at the very least, knew this was coming from two years!!! And we have NO NIL plan or money from donors to offer as enticement, even to our own players. This is why RG held his press conference. It was a prayer in the wind, as if anything could or would change.

As I see it, we have pretty much one “name” player left who I have been worried would leave all along. He plays a critical position. If his name hits the portal, it’s a free-for-all (even more than it’s been).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back