What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2023-24 Coaching Carousel (Fitzgerald out, DC Braun interim at Northwestern)

Season 3 Ugh GIF by Parks and Recreation

Ferentz feels like the next Saban that will just announce he is retiring, and I think that will happen within the next 2 years.

Reactions: GRM
I disagree. What fans they do have seem to hold ridiculously elevated expectations. Most notably the expectation to beat USC regularly. That’s going to be harder and harder to do from now on.
This is how I see it, specifically first hand from my family alumni.

No doubt in my mind that Coach Prime let Charles Kelly walk without trying to retain him. Letting both coordinators walk saved CU paying any contracural severance.

First story: Charles Kelly has no buyout to Auburn if he leaves to take an HC job, an NFL job or a DC job where he has play calling duties.

Second story: Auburn is hiring DJ Durkin as their new playcalling DC.

No doubt in my mind that Coach Prime let Charles Kelly walk without trying to retain him. Letting both coordinators walk saved CU paying any contracural severance.

First story: Charles Kelly has no buyout to Auburn if he leaves to take an HC job, an NFL job or a DC job where he has play calling duties.

Second story: Auburn is hiring DJ Durkin as their new playcalling DC.

At first glance, I did not think this, but I agree now even without a named DC yet. Durkin seems to be the Auburn's true DC to me, Kelly was maybe a recruiting patch.

As I look at Lewis and Kelly both leaving, it is not ideal for any team to replace their OC and DC in the same year; but I think Prime got an indication of who played well in the sandbox, and who did not; and also what he wanted. With these winter workouts in swing, I'm impressed with the overall intensity, and it seems like Prime is pretty hands-on, still recruiting but not a much as last year.

Dan Lanning can eat a bag of dicks but he said that "nobody is going to hire a young coach because of what he knows". He said that player acquisition is the reason.

This year could be a real make or break for Lanning. No doubt, ORE is loading via recruiting/transfer portal and looks great on paper, but he seems to be getting out there for a young coach. If they are in CFP and toward top of B1G then it is obviously a Make. If they step back and have growing pains (8-4, 7-5, even 9-3--beaten soundly by Ohio St. & MI with a bad loss), it could be a BREAK whereby there is a mutual parting of the ways (ie. the school let's him out, Phil Knight pays whatever). I can see it. They play two cream-puffs early, then Boise St., Ore State and UCLA. They drop one of those games, it may be tough for them to gain momentum unless they beat Ohio State at home.

Also, I periodically check the CoachesHotSeat Ranking site for 2024. I normally thought it was a decent guide--not now. The top-10 make sense. It looks dated back to mid-December, but they put Jay Norvell and Prime at #'s 41 and 42--"Edge of Hot Seat." I had to laugh. Norvell probably should have gone 6-6 last year, which is great for CSU but they won 5 games playing CU tough, beating Boise St and finishing where they were projected preseason. CSU has not had a 5 win season since 2017.

Prime at #42 . . . ticket sales, school interest, local revenue, roster flip, energy/buzz, 1 win to 4, etc....?? It would take an army to move him or total implosion to warm his seat. Like Norvell, with our hot start we should have gone 6-6 (beat Stanford, then we probably win one more) last season. We have only won 6 games or more in 2016 dating way back to 2007, Year 2 of the Danny Huckster experiment!

Last edited:
At first glance, I did not think this, but I agree now even without a named DC yet. Durkin seems to be the Auburn's true DC to me, Kelly was maybe a recruiting patch.

As I look at Lewis and Kelly both leaving, it is not ideal for any team to replace their OC and DC in the same year; but I think Prime got an indication of who played well in the sandbox, and who did not; and also what he wanted. With these winter workouts in swing, I'm impressed with the overall intensity, and it seems like Prime is pretty hands-on, still recruiting but not a much as last year.

This year could be a real make or break for Lanning. No doubt, ORE is loading via recruiting/transfer portal and looks great on paper, but he seems to be getting out there for a young coach. If they are in CFP and toward top of B1G then it is obviously a Make. If they step back and have growing pains (8-4, 7-5, even 9-3--beaten soundly by Ohio St. & MI with a bad loss), it could be a BREAK whereby there is a mutual parting of the ways (ie. the school let's him out, Phil Knight pays whatever). I can see it. They play two cream-puffs early, then Boise St., Ore State and UCLA. They drop one of those games, it may be tough for them to gain momentum unless they beat Ohio State at home.

Also, I periodically check the CoachesHotSeat Ranking site for 2024. I normally thought it was a decent guide--not now. The top-10 make sense. It looks dated back to mid-December, but they put Jay Norvell and Prime at #'s 41 and 42--"Edge of Hot Seat." I had to laugh. Norvell probably should have gone 6-6 last year, which is great for CSU but they won 5 games playing CU tough, beating Boise St and finishing where they were projected preseason. CSU has not had a 5 win season since 2017.

Prime at #42 . . . ticket sales, school interest, local revenue, roster flip, energy/buzz, 1 win to 4, etc....?? It would take an army to move him or total implosion to warm his seat. Like Norvell, with our hot start we should have gone 6-6 (beat Stanford, then we probably win one more) last season. We have only won 6 games or more in 2016 dating way back to 2007, Year 2 of the Hawklove experiment!
I was with you, until you used the term "Hawklove".

Prime at #42 . . . ticket sales, school interest, local revenue, roster flip, energy/buzz, 1 win to 4, etc....?? It would take an army to move him or total implosion to warm his seat. Like Norvell, with our hot start we should have gone 6-6 (beat Stanford, then we probably win one more) last season. We have only won 6 games or more in 2016 dating way back to 2007, Year 2 of the Hawklove experiment!

I don't think it is a make or break year for Lanning because I think UO will beat UW this year. That make or break year is most likely for Ohio State's Ryan Day. He already lost to Michigan's new coach on the field and if he loses to Michigan again, he's probably done in Columbus. USC's Lincoln Riely is facing a similar make or break year.

Back to Lanning, the Ducks have a favorable B1G schedule and they will have an extra game thanks to their zero week game at Hawaii. Their OOC schedule isn't too daunting when you consider their talent level. Boise State can't hold a candle to that program and UW crushed them bad in Seattle last season.

As for the Hot Seat Rankings site, it's only good thing is simply numbering every coach from the hottest to the coolest seat. I think Coach Prime is ranked too high too based on what he has brought to CU. Coach Prime said that he is not interested in inheriting assets and is more of a program builder. As long as he can acquire the players he needs to win (as with Lanning's comments), he'll stay at CU as long as he feels that there are changes that can be made.

Back