What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2023-24 Coaching Carousel (Fitzgerald out, DC Braun interim at Northwestern)

I'm interested to see how Jonathan Smith does at MSU. I've thought he was a nice HC for his alma mater, he fit their ethos. I've also thought he would struggle outside of Corvallis. Taking the MSU seemed like a bit of a desperation move as OSU is now a G5 program and he had to jump this hiring cycle.
Also, he got a $52M contract with 85% guaranteed ($44M). Even though you are only pocketing half that after everyone gets paid, that's generational wealth secured for your family.

Married At First Sight Love GIF by Lifetime

It probably is going forward for PSU. Even under Paterno going back to the late 90's, PSU was mostly good, with only a couple years of great sprinkled in. I mean, Paterno only won 3 conference championships in 19 years once joining the Big 10, had four losing seasons, and averaged 8.5 wins/year during that stretch.
That includes a dip during a period when he had failed to adapt to modern era and pretty much still refused to play freshmen. Recruiting had tanked so he adapted and they quickly elevated again.

Here's a basic contrast to PSU & MSU:

1. PSU owns PA while MSU plays 2nd fiddle in MI. PA is also a bigger state.

2. PA has much better recruiting talent than MI and borders much better recruiting grounds with NJ, MD, NY & WV (both have OH) compared to WI, IN & Canada.

3. PSU has a much larger stadium which generates twice the gameday revenue than MSU while also having an alumni base for donations and other support which dwarfs MSU's. Unlike what we're familiar with at CU, all PSU campuses throughout PA are part of the main campus and they're all Nittany Lions donating to the same place.

4. PSU is a top mover of the ratings needle in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast. So they're a broadcast partner darling for being one of the few properties that can deliver a good number to an area that has relatively low interest in college football but represents about 1/4 of the U.S. population - regardless of their record or who they're playing. Conversely, MSU is more in the category of being a media asset which can move the needle when ranked and playing a compelling opponent (nothing special since every P4 and some G5s can do that).

I could go on, but those are some high notes on why the program resources at PSU are drastically better than at MSU. Much bigger than the expectations gap, which makes PSU a much better job.

I'm happy for Coach Lew. His honor's intact and he'll upgrade his staff.
Not that I can provide any data to back this up, and what we saw this year was plain baffling, but O'Boyle has some cred as an OL coach and it would not surprise me to see Lewis' SDSU offense be very good in a couple years and O'Boyle to prosper as well.

They should probably just give it to Grubb, but given how Jimmy Lake worked out, I bet they go the more experienced route

Whelp this list is a clear indication of the new P2 CFB pecking order. Over half that list is basically the top half of the B12 coaching talent.
Was just coming to say that. P2 coaching jobs are obviously showing being valued higher than the low life conferences.
The sport is eating itself alive

Why? Washington is a better job than all the ones that are occupied by the HCs on that list regardless of their move to the B1G.
We are on the same team here, B1G and SEC jobs are the tops and the rest are not and that is totally cool if people/coaches are seeing the writing on the wall

We are on the same team here, B1G and SEC jobs are the tops and the rest are not and that is totally cool if people/coaches are seeing the writing on the wall
Once Purdue and Indiana and Vanderbilt are poaching HCs from Utah, Arizona, ASU, BYU, Iowa State, etc I will agree. Until then, good jobs are good jobs and bad ones are bad ones

Unless you are a Deion Sanders and can bring self-driven media hype a job outside the SEC or B1G is a definitive step down. Bad teams are needed in professional sports and that is what lower-tier programs in the Power 2 will be.

Back