What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2023/24 MEN'S GOLF pre-season and season news, results and discussion (Team in Carefree, AZ for Pac 12 Championships 4/26-28)

More info and an article on Mr. Paul's win.

Article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2024/1/17/...ims-first-professional-win-on-korn-ferry-tour

"

Paul Claims First Professional Win On Korn Ferry Tour​

Class of '17 graduate shoots 17-under to win by a stroke

By: David Plati, SID-Emeritus/Athletic Historian

SANDALS EMERALD BAY, Bahamas — University of Colorado golf alumnus Jeremy Paul broke through here Wednesday for his first career win on the Korn Ferry Tour, winning the Bahamas Great Exuma Classic by one stroke.

Paul, 29, graduated from CU in 2017 and turned professional in the spring of that year. After an opening round 70, he carded three straight 67s on the 7,027-yard, par-72 Sandals Emerald Bay Golf Club course to finish at 17-under 271. It was the 64th event he entered, the 35th time he made the cut and his fifth top 10 finish on the Korn Ferry Tour. His previous best finish was third in The Ascendant presented by Blue at TPC Colorado in July 2022.

Paul earned $180,000 for his first professional win. He entered the final round tied with Kevin Roy at 12-under after he caught him by shooting the only bogey-free round in the field. Paul matched that again Wednesday and played the last 43 holes here bogey-free and with 13 birdies. Over the 72 holes, he had 22 birdies and only five bogeys.

"So happy to have gotten my first win on a tour," Paul said. "I played some really good golf the last 36 holes, especially today down the stretch on a very difficult golf course. And it sets me up great for the rest of the season in the hopes to get a PGA Tour card at the end of the year."

"I'm super happy I was able to pull it off. It's never easy playing with a lead," he said. "Kevin (Roy) was making a lot of birdies down the stretch, so he made me work for it. I'm just super thrilled right now with all the work I've put in for so many years, and all the people who believe in me along the way that I can give back a little bit with this win."

"I didn't sleep too well, honestly," Paul said. "When you're alone in your room and with your thoughts, that's always the worst place. Once I got on the golf course, I honestly felt pretty comfortable. I knew I was hitting the ball really well, and it was all about not getting ahead. I think that was actually a benefit this course is very challenging (because) I was able to stay in the moment."

That he did. He opened the final round with three straight birdies, with Roy only closing the gap with three in a row to finish his round. Both held off Ross Steelman, who shot the day's low round, a 9-under 63, to finish two back.

After this third round, he was asked about his mental approach to the game.

"I started working with a mental coach about a year ago," he said. "I feel like that's the difference-maker if you're playing on Tour because everybody out here can play. I think that's what I've been working on a lot recently in the last year, and so far, so good. It's a long progress, a long work and just trying to work on myself, and get in a good mindset. Especially in conditions like this, it helps because you're not thinking ahead, you know you have to hit good shots. It's a lot of golf still left, so I'm not really thinking about anything right now. I just want to hit good golf shots and see where it ends up at the end."

Paul led the Buffaloes in scoring average all four of his college seasons (2013-14 through 2016-17), winning three tournaments and recording 21 top 10 finishes. His twin brother Yannik has had professional success as well playing on the DP Tour.
"
_________________________________________________________________________________

Preview in front of the spring season opening tourney, with tomorrow an official practice round day and Monday - Wednesday when the 3 official rounds are competed - https://cubuffs.com/news/2024/1/26/mens-golf-golfers-ready-to-open-spring-season

"
One of 13 teams competing in the Southwestern Intercollegiate

WESTLAKE VILLAGE, Calif. — The University of Colorado men's golf team will open the spring portion of its schedule later this coming Monday here in the Pepperdine's Southwestern Intercollegiate.

The three-day, 54-hole tournament will be staged on the Lakes & Oaks courses at North Ranch Country Club, which boast a 6,800-yard, par-71 configuration. The official practice round is Sunday, but the Buffaloes arrived here late Tuesday to get a few extra rounds of practice in ahead of their first competition since the last week of October.

"Everyone's really excited to get the season started, especially against a top field like what we are going to see at Pepperdine," Colorado head coach Roy Edwards said. The guys worked extremely hard since the end of the fall and through the winter. We are expecting a great spring as we have wonderful group of guys and players."

The initial line-up for the Buffaloes to open the spring will be juniors Justin Biwer, Dylan McDermott and Tucker Clark; sophomore Hunter Swanson and freshman Brandon Knight. The quintet was all among the top five in stroke average for the fall season: Biwer (70.47), Swanson (71.07), McDermott (71.27), Knight (73.60) and Clark (73.92); all but Clark played in all five fall events, while Clark participated in four.

Three Buffaloes enter the spring ranked among the top amateurs in the world, McDermott heading the list at No. 105 (the 57th American). Biwer is ranked No. 220 (114th from the U.S.) and Swanson No. 411 (176th).

The 13-team field includes five from the Pac-12 Conference: CU, California, Southern California, UCLA and Washington (schools that will be competing in three different leagues next year due to realignment; Colorado will return to the Big 12). The remainder of the field includes host Pepperdine, Houston, Ohio State, Nevada-Las Vegas, San Diego State, San Jose State, Texas Tech and Wake Forest.

The Buffaloes will ease into the spring season, not competing again for three weeks until the Wyoming Match Play in Palm Desert (Feb. 19-21), and then in the Lamkin San Diego Classic (March 3-4). After another three weeks pass, CU will play in three tournaments ahead of the final Pac-12 Championships in Carefree, Ariz. (April 26-28).
"

Leaderboard - https://smartgolf.online/current_tournament

Some of the team was participating at a tourney as individuals over the last few days -

Last edited:
Nice day for the team, as they win both their match play competitions, over Utah St. in the 1st round and Sacramento State in the semis. Now it's on to tomorrow morning's final against #1 seed Cal State - Fullerton. (The later had a tougher time advancing, with both their victories today being by 3-2-1 scores.)

VERY nice match play tourney for the Buffs, as they end up the champions after defeating the tourney's #1 seed, Cal State - Fullerton.

Way to go Buffs!

Article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2024/2/20/mens-golfers-win-wyoming-desert-match-play-title

"

Men's Golfers Win Wyoming Desert Match Play Title​

Colorado defeats CSU-Fullerton to claim crown

INDIAN WELLS, Calif. — The third time was the charm for the University of Colorado men's golf team in the Wyoming Desert Match Play, as the Buffaloes emerged victorious here Tuesday in the third annual event.

Colorado, the No. 2 seed, defeated top-seed Cal State Fullerton in a very competitive match, 4½-1½, on the 7,376-yard, par-72 Players Course at the Indian Wells Golf Resort. It was a bit closer than the final score indicated, as the Titans, who trailed most of the front nine and into the back, briefly held a 3-2-1 lead for a time before the Buffaloes closed strong.

The Buffaloes finished fifth in 2022 and then second last year, taking the event in their third try. CU has now won seven of nine matches in the unique event, as most college tournaments are stroke play.

"An awesome job by the guys," CU head coach Roy Edwards said. "We jumped out front early and then got behind after a mid-round run from Fullerton. The guys quickly rebounded with a bunch of won holes to close it out. It was really impressive by all six guys. Fullerton is a really good team and had been undefeated this spring, not having lost to anyone since October, so we knew we would have to play well.

"Tournament wins are special and this one is extra special being a match play, team-only win," Edwards added. "Everyone had a hand in the victory, and all should be excited and proud. We have a motivated and determined group and it certainly showed this week."

Freshman Brandon Knight was one of three Buffaloes to win all three matches, but turned in the most dominant performance of the trio. He defeated Matthew Schafer, 4 & 2, to give the Buffs a 1-0 lead Tuesday, winning six holes, dropping just two and tying eight. After both opened with pars on No. 1, Knight won the second hole with a par when Schafer bogeyed and never trailed from then on. Knight birdied the par-5 7th and parred No. 8 when Schafer again bogeyed to put some distance between them. Up three holes with three to play, he birded the par-4 16th to seal the victory.

For the three matches overall, Knight won 17 holes and tied 24 while losing only five. That worked to a most impressive win-tie percentage of 89 percent. And of the five holes he lost, only two were due to bogeys, the only two he made all week.

Junior Tucker Clark defeated Trevor McNary, 2 & 1; after falling behind early and trailing most of the front nine, he pulled even when he parred the par-5 9th and McNary bogeyed. Clark took his first lead with a birdie on No. 10, but McNary rallied to go up by one through 14. Clark then went birdie-birdie-par to win the next three holes and clinch the match. He won six holes and tied seven, dropping four, and for the three matches, he won 20, tied 18 and lost 12 as he wrapped a 3-0 record over the two days.

Junior Dylan McDermott defeated Russel Howlett, also 2 & 1, to secure CU's third win on the day. He spotted the Titan a one-hold edge when Howlett birdied No. 1, but tied the match immediately and went up by two after winning holes 2 through 4 by going par-birdie-birdie. McDermott built a three-hole advantage through six, but Howlett fought back to even things up through 13. Birdies on the par-5 14th and on the par-4 16th thrust McDermott back ahead by two, and when both parred the par-3 17th, McDermott won for the third time in two days. Just like Clark, on Tuesday he won six holes and tied seven, dropping four; overall, he won 19 holes, tied 17 and ost just nine times.

Junior Justin Biwer won his match over Tegan Andrews, as he was 2 up with two to play, enabling the overall match to be called in CU's favor, as it guaranteed the Buffs a half-point when leading, 3-0. He got off to a hot start, going birdie-par-birdie to win the first three holes. Andrews twice pulled back to within one, but each time Biwer came back to win the next hole to keep the match firmly in his control. He won five holes, tied eight and lost three Tuesday, wrapping with 14 holes won and 23 tied, losing just 8.

Sophomore Hunter Swanson lost his match against Garret Boe, who was 1-up through 16 holes when the match was called in favor of CU. He opened with a birdie to take an immediate lead, but Boe tied him on the next hole; Swanson then won the third before they both tied the next three. Boe caught him on No. 7 with a birdie, his first of four holes he won in a row. Swanson battled back, winning three of the next four holes and stood tied through 14. Boe reclaimed the lead with a birdie on No. 15; the two parred No. 16 before the match was called. Overall, Swanson won 19 holes, tied 19 and lost just eight here this week (five, five and six, respectively, Tuesday).

Junior Freddy Eisenbeis tied a second time here, this time against CSU-F's Howard Yoon. He trailed most of the match from the start when Yoon birdied No. 1, but was never down by more than two holes. Tied through six, Yoon won the next two to go up by two for the first time, and still held a two-hole edge through 14. Eisenbeis parred No. 15 when Yoon bogeyed, and finally caught him after the same scenario on No. 17. Both made par to close the round and thus halved the match. Thus, Eisenbeis won four holes, lost four and tied 10; he won or tied 39 of the 53 he played over the two says (13 won, 26 tied, 14 lost).

The Buffaloes return to action in two weeks (March 4-5) in the Lamkin San Diego Classic at San Diego Country Club.

NOTES: Fullerton only had one occasion Tuesday with as much as a three-hole lead; it led by two just 10 times and by one 21 times; the teams were tied 16 times, otherwise CU led after 52 of the 100 holes played (and by multiple holes 30 times) … Overall, the Buffs were 13-3-2 in matches over the three days; the sextet won 102 holes, tied 127 and lost only 56, which worked to a win-tie percentage of 80.4 percent (in the finals against CSU Fullerton, CU won 32 holes and tied 45, while the Titans won 23, a 77 win-tie percent) … This was the 20th tournament won by the Buffaloes under Edwards during his CU career, adding to his school record … McDermott improved to 7-1-1 in career match play; Swanson is now 4-2, Biwer 3-2-4 and Cark 3-1-2 while Knight (3-0) and Eisenbeis (0-1-2) competed in match play in college for the first time … CU picked up three Division I wins in the process and moved closer to .500 on the season (45-48-1), the first requirement to qualify for the NCAA postseason.

Finals
No. 2 Colorado
def. No. 1 Cal State Fullerton, 4½-1½

Third Place
No. 6 Sacramento State def. No. 5 UC Irvine, 3-3 (won on tiebreakers)

Fifth Place
No. 4 Wyoming def. No. 3 Pacific, 3-3 (won on tiebreakers)

Seventh Place
No. 8 UC Santa Barbara def. No. 7 Utah State, 4-2

Colorado def. CSU-Fullerton, 4½-1½
#1—*Justin Biwer (CU) def. Tegan Andrews, 2 up (16)
#2—*Garrett Boe (CSF) def. Hunter Swanson, 1 up (16)
#3—Dylan McDermott (CU) def. Russel Howlett, 2 & 1
#4—Freddy Eisenbeis (CU) tied Howard Yoon, AS
#5—Tucker Clark (CU) def. Trevor McNary, 2 & 1
#6—Brandon Knight (CU) def. Matthew Schafer, 4 & 2

*—matches called once CU was determined the winner.
"

Article after this week's tourney's completion - https://cubuffs.com/news/2024/3/5/mens-golf-buffs-tie-for-second-in-san-diego-ke-lamkin-invitational

"

Men's Golf: Buffs Tie For Second in San Diego KE Lamkin Invitational​

Buffaloes Defeat Three Top 20 Teams and Eight Top 50 In All

CHULA VISTA, Calif. — The University of Colorado men's golf team fought the good fight but came up just short of victory here Tuesday, finishing in a tie for second as the San Diego KE Lamkin Invitational came to a close.

An all-day dogfight as expected materialized, with three teams alternating in the lead throughout – CU, co-host San Diego and Fresno State. In the end, the hometown Toreros pulled away late for the win, denying the Buffaloes and Fresno State, the co-leaders after two rounds over USD by one stroke, their own claim to a "Super Tuesday."

San Diego, the co-host and ranked 99th coming in, finished with a 22-under par team score of 842, while the Buffaloes and the 48th-ranked Bulldogs finished four back at 18-under 846; the three were essentially tied with three-to-five holes to play, but USD's scorers closed with six birdies and four bogeys, while CU had four birdies and three bogeys and Fresno's four of each. The 18-under par was CU's best effort this season in relation to par and the runner-up effort was CU's third top two finish this season.

No. 13 Georgia Tech shot the days' best round to finish fourth with an 848 score, while No. 19 New Mexico and No. 41 Loyola-Marymount tied for fifth with 849 totals.

A silver lining for Colorado, which came in ranked 70th in the new college rankings format, should move up considerably in the next computation. The Buffaloes defeated nine teams ranked ahead of them, including eight in the top 50 including the tournament's top seed, No. 4 Washington. The CU quintet had 13 rounds of par or better out of 15 over the two days of competition.

"We really battled all day today," CU head coach Roy Edwards said. "I'm very proud of the fight. Overall, the team hit the ball great but the difference was putting and some in the short game. Incredibly encouraged with what we see every day from this squad and this was the same again today.

"Finishing second in this field is a really good result," he continued. "We beat a bunch of really good teams including the fourth-ranked team in the country who is also one of the best in the Pac-12 in Washington, and also topped last year's NCAA runner-up in Georgia Tech. Looking forward, we just have to keep working and believing in ourselves as well as continue to work hard on our short game and short irons."

"Hunter and Tucker had really nice efforts here," Edwards noted. "Justin and Dylan had good tournaments overall as well, but just had some tough finishes. Those guys are on the cusp of some great golf. Brandon was solid and contributed as well."
San Diego's Craig Ronne held on to his second round lead to earn medalist honors, as he closed with a 3-under 69 for an overall scorecard of 12-under 204. That bested Loyola-Marymount's Mason Snyder by two strokes and two others by four shots.

The Buffaloes will return to action in three weeks, hitting the west coast for two events during CU's spring break, the Oregon Duck Invitational in Eugene (March 25-26) and Stanford's The Goodwin in San Francisco (March 28-30).

BUFFALO INDIVIDUALS
T9. Hunter Swanson 71-67-72—210
T12. Tucker Clark 71-68-72—211
T23. Justin Biwer 68-71-75—214
T23. Dylan McDermott 72-70-72—214
T52. Brandon Knight 72-75-72—219
"

Congrats to the Buffs for the 1-2 finish in what I assume was a nice friendly competition in-between the big "real" team tourneys!

Article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2024/3/20/mens-golf-holland-grabs-medalist-honors-in-battle-at-the-dance

"

Holland Grabs Medalist Honors In Battle at the Dance​

WINDSOR — University of Colorado junior Jack Holland gradually pulled away from the rest of the field and finished nine strokes ahead of the field in claiming medalist honors in the inaugural "Battle at the Dance" here Wednesday.

Albeit not a major tournament, it marks the 14th straight year at least one Buffalo has been a tournament medalist, dating back to the 2010-11 season. His --- victory eclipsed the previous largest margin of victory by a CU player, seven strokes by John Lindberg in the 1989 BYU Cougar Classic.

Holland followed up a 67 on Tuesday with a 7-under 65, on the 7,135-yard, par-72 RainDance National Resort & Golf club course. His 12-under par 132 was his career best for 36 holes, and a strong start Wednesday expanded a two-stroke lead he took into the final round. Starting on No. 10, he birdied six of his first 14 holes before recording his only bogey, which he followed up with two birdies. Over the two days, he had 14 birdies, the most in the field, 20 pars and just two bogeys in winning his first collegiate event. He played the par-5 holes the best at 8-under, and was also 2-under on all the par-3s and par-4s.

"From the get-go, Jack was cool, comfortable and confident in what he was doing," said associate head coach Derek Tolan, who coached the team in the event. "You could tell by his body language that he was in full control of everything he was doing. What impressed me the most was how relaxed he was. He was always looking forward and didn't let any perturb him."

"I was locked in," Holland said. "My short game and iron play were really solid, and in the last round, I was hitting my drives more consistently into better spots, which really aided my shots into the greens. And I hit a few more putts. It feels good to get a win – I was using this tournament as a building block toward the rest of the season. It was good to see some progression from all the work I've been putting in while the other guys were away in tournaments. I think things are heading in the right direction, so we'll see where everything goes from here on out."

Sophomore Robby Keilch grabbed runner-up honors with a 71-70—141 scorecard (3-under par). He put up his collegiate best numbers and recorded 10 birdies over the two rounds (five each day), with 19 pars and seven bogeys. Had it not been for some struggles on holes 3 through 6, where he scored six of his bogeys, he was 9-under on the other 14 holes, including playing the par-5s at 6-under.

It was the sixth time in a multiple round tournament that CU had the top two finishers, the first time since 2019. Tolan himself was in one of those occasions, when he finished second when Patrick Grady was medalist in the 2008 Ron Moore Invitational in Denver.

Junior Freddy Eisenbeis and freshman Ty Holbrook tied for fifth with 1-under 143 totals; Holbrook closed with a 1-under 71 while Eisenbeis shot par Wednesday. Holbrook's round was highlighted by his first collegiate eagle, with three birdies and 12 pars (seven and a team-high 21 respectively). Eisenbeis had 10 birdies and 18 pars, five and nine of each both rounds.

"As a whole, the other three also played really, really well," Tolan continued. "They were just overshadowed by how well Jack played. This was not an easy course by any means, there's trouble on almost every shot and the greens were hard. In the end, it was just some serious, serious golf by Jack. Robby did play really well. Other than those same stretch of holes each day, he played better than what he posted. A lot of really good signs for him, he kept things simple. Freddy and Ty finishing under par and in the top five also showed they had plenty of good moments as well."

The Buffaloes as a full team return to action Monday, hitting the west coast for two events during CU's spring break, the Oregon Duck Invitational in Eugene (March 25-26) and Stanford's The Goodwin in San Francisco (March 28-30).

NOTES: Holland's win was the 75th time a CU golfer earned medalist honors in the school's 104-year history … CU, Colorado State and Northern Colorado, all NCAA Division I schools, had individuals entered in the event, hosted by NAIA-member Hastings (Neb.); they had eight players participating, seven of whom finished atop the leaderboard … Eastern Wyoming won the men's team title, and there was also a women's tournament, won by Bellevue … RainDance National opened in mid-summer 2022 and is billed as the "Longest course in North America." The back tees play at 8,463 yards … The 18-hole round featured five par-3s and par-5s and eight par-4s; the five par-5 holes alone added to 2,811 yards in the event.
"

Article after the team completed its latest tournament in Eugene a couple days ago - https://cubuffs.com/news/2024/3/26/mens-golf-golfers-tie-for-10th-in-oregon-duck-invitational

"

Golfers Tie For 10th In Oregon Duck Invitational​

Buffaloes Never Got Much Going But Have Quick Turnaround

EUGENE, Ore. — The University of Colorado men's golf team never got much momentum over the two days here in the rainy Pacific Northwest and in the end, finished in a tie for 10th here Tuesday at the 34th annual Oregon Duck Invitational came to a close.

No. 21 Illinois had been tied with No. 24 Oregon entering the final round but pulled away for a seven-stroke win, as the Fighting Illini turned in Wednesday's only subpar round (a 6-under 278) and won with a 2-under 850 total; in the process, Illinois became only the third school that wasn't from the Pacific Time Zone in the 34 years of the event to win it, joining Oklahoma State (2011) and Liberty (2018 co-champs).

The top seven had been separated by just four strokes as well after two rounds, but they did separate in the final standings. No. 41 Northwestern finished third (861), Utah fourth (863), Colorado State fifth (866) and No. 30 Oklahoma State sixth (867).

The No. 58 Buffaloes had a decent start to the day, and about a third of the way through had the third-best round of the day going but eventually finished up with a 13-over 297 score for the round, the high score for the day, and in the end, CU slipped from a tie for eighth into a tie for 10th with No. 54 Oregon State with a 29-over 881.

"Tough round, tough two days," CU head coach Roy Edwards said. "We got away from what makes us great, which is our competitiveness and focusing on what is ahead of us and not behind us. But we have a really good opportunity to come right back out at the Goodwin and compete right away."

The Buffaloes will now head about 430 miles south to San Francisco where they will compete in Stanford's "The Goodwin," which runs Thursday through Saturday. The event will take place at TPC at Harding Park; CU has a practice round scheduled Wednesday afternoon at 2 p.m. MDT.

BUFFALO INDIVIDUALS
T38. Tucker Clark 73-75-72—220
T38. Dylan McDermott 73-73-74—220
T43. Justin Biwer 75-70-76—221
T66. Hunter Swanson 73-79-75—227
T66. *Jack Holland 77-78-72—227
T73. Brandon Knight 75-72-82—229
*--played as an individual.
INDIVIDUAL LEADERS
1. Jackson Buchanan, Illinois 73-67-67—207
2. Javier Barcos, Utah 69-72-69—210
T3. Matt Manganello, Fresno State 68-69-74—211
T3. Mason Snyder, LMU 74-66-71—211
T3. Daniel Svard, Northwestern 72-72-67—211
TEAM STANDINGS
1. Illinois 294-278-278—850
2. Oregon 283-289-285—857
3. Northwestern 289-287-285—861
4. Utah 285-288-290—863
5. Colorado State 293-281-292—866
6. Oklahoma State 283-292-292—867
7. San Jose State 288-287-294—869
8. Loyola-Marymount 293-293-286—872
9. Fresno State 285-299-292—876
10. COLORADO 294-290-297—881
10. Oregon State 296-298-287—881
12. Texas-El Paso 298-298-290—886
13. Grand Canyon 296-303-289—888
14. Boise State 293-301-295—889
15. Cal Poly 295-302-296—893

"
_________________________________________________________________________________

As noted in the article quoted above, the team has now moved down the coast for another (3 day this time) tourney hosted by Stanford which begins today in San Francisco. Live leaderboard for that tourney looks to be available at https://results.golfstat.com/public/leaderboards/gsnav.cfm?pg=team&tid=28835 .
(The Buffs look to be teeing off in the afternoon wave the 1st day.)

The team has been in Phoenix, and starting yesterday began competing at the Thunderbird Collegiate. As I type this, they are in 12th (out of 17) early in the 3rd of 3 rounds in this very Pac 12 - heavy tourney, with 9 or so competing at the Papago Golf Course.

Live leaderboard - https://results.golfstat.com/public/leaderboards/gsnav.cfm?pg=team&tid=28933

(Per the article after yesterday's action (at https://cubuffs.com/news/2024/4/12/mens-golf-golfers-tied-for-13th-in-arizona-when-play-suspended), this is based on opponent ratings the toughest tournament the Buffs will have played this regular season. Also, it says none of the team's quite finished their 2nd rounds before darkness yesterday, so had EARLY wake-up calls this morning to finish the round off.)

4 Buffs are competing individually down in Pueblo at a tourney which looks to be mainly being used by CU to determine the last 1 or 2 who will be included in the 6 that will be representing the Buffs at next week's (begins 4/26) Pac 12 Championships. After 2 rounds yesterday, freshman Ty Holbrook has the overall lead with today's final round scheduled to start around 9:00 AM today.

Leaderboard - https://results.golfstat.com/public/leaderboards/gsnav.cfm?pg=player&tid=28930

The Pac 12 Championships have begun, with CU tied for 8th just beyond the halfway point of their 1st of 2 rounds today.

Go Buffs!

Live Leaderboard - https://results.golfstat.com/public/leaderboards/gsnav.cfm?pg=team&tid=28759

________________________________________________________________________________

Preview article (from yesterday) - https://cubuffs.com/news/2024/4/24/mens-golf-golfers-ready-for-final-pac-12-championship

"

Golfers Ready For Final Pac-12 Championship​

Tournament play begins Friday in the Arizona Desert

CAREFREE, Ariz. — The 64th and final Pac-12 Conference men's golf championships, the 12th version with 12 schools, begins here Friday, with the Colorado Buffaloes needing at least a third place finish to qualify for next month's NCAA regionals.

The Buffaloes have traveled six players here to compete, one of the more experienced teams in a few years, with three juniors, one sophomore and two freshmen representing the school which is in the back end of the 100th season in the program's history.

CU is 79-86-4 against Division I competition; with the first criteria for selection into the NCAA Regionals for a team to own at least a .500 record against Division I opponents, for CU to meet that criteria it must finish third or higher in the Pac-12 tourney, needing to go 9-2 to get back to .500. The Buffaloes tied for third a year ago and also have finished second in the meet, which annually features five or six – if not more – schools ranked in the top 30; seven are this year including three in the top 10.

"I'm not looking at it as really pressure, we just know what we have to do," said head coach Roy Edwards, who is in his 18th season at the reins of the program. "It was a goal after the fall because we knew we were going to probably be in this position. The guys know we are a team that is capable of playing really, really well, and I'm confident we can do that. Four of them experienced being in the hunt for all four rounds last year, so they are fully aware of what this team can accomplish."

"I do like how we set up our schedule," he added. "We played two really hard golf courses at the end of March. We didn't play that well (last time out) at Arizona State but still beat some good teams. So, I am encouraged that we're ready for a really good run here."

Colorado is rarely in this position, but it's mainly due to a poor start in the fall and plying one of the tougher schedules in recent memory. CU has faced 41 of the top 60 teams (as of the Wednesday's Scoreboard rankings) in the nation at some point this season, with a 21-63-3 record (thus are 58-23-1 against others). A year ago at this time, CU was 17-34-2 against the top 60, thus CU has competed against 34 more top 60 teams than at the same juncture in '23. But there have been several good wins in the 21: two against No. 10 Washington, one over last year's NCAA runner-up, No. 16 Georgia Tech, and wins over No. 19 New Mexico, No. 21 California, No. 27 Wake Forest, No. 32 San Diego State, No. 35 LSU and No. 40 BYU.

"This has been a little different season than in the past in that we got off to a poor start and just struggled," Edwards said. "But the off-season and the spring have been really good. The guys have played pretty well for the most part. We've had several quality moments and have defeated many highly ranked teams. If we play well, we'll be in the hunt to win the golf tournament. While we know we have to finish third or better to make the NCAA regionals, but we'll just be focused on playing our best and not worrying about qualifying. And the way we can play well is simply by focusing on our own games."

Edwards and associate head coach Derek Tolan are going with juniors Justin Biwer (71.07 stroke average), Dylan McDermott (71.60), and Tucker Clark (72.48); sophomore Hunter Swanson (72.30), and true freshmen Ty Holbrook (73.35) and Brandon Knight (73.63). It's the first time all six players have sub-74.0 averages going into the Pac-12 tourney.

"It's good mix of guys who have played in the conference championships – and the NCAA's – before and they know things are ratcheted up a notch," Edwards said. "They'll do a good job with the two younger guys for the first time competing in this environment."

To open play Friday, Colorado is paired with defending champion Stanford and Arizona State (purely by chance in a random draw of the actual top three a year ago) and will tee off on No. 1 from 7:30-8:25 a.m. MDT (Round 1) and from 1:00-1:55 p.m. (Round 2). At present, the weather forecast calls for three days of sunny skies, temperatures ranging from the mid-70s into the low-80s, with no precipitation expected.
"

Back