What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2024 NCAA tournament general games thread

Jay Wright is so good (of course he is). I thought he made some really insightful comments about how the days of winning with freshmen are over. With NIL, you have teams reloading with 22/23 year olds. That the freshmen on Kentucky will go on to have better NBA careers than anyone in that game, maybe anyone in the tournament. But right now at 18/19 years old, they're not as good at college basketball as 22/23 year olds.

Jay Wright is so good (of course he is). I thought he made some really insightful comments about how the days of winning with freshmen are over. With NIL, you have teams reloading with 22/23 year olds. That the freshmen on Kentucky will go on to have better NBA careers than anyone in that game, maybe anyone in the tournament. But right now at 18/19 years old, they're not as good at college basketball as 22/23 year olds.
It's what we are seeing with CU too. Right now Luke O'Brien is a better college basketball player (and a better fit for the starting 5) then Cody. I still expect Cody to be a good NBA player and I love that a Buff might get drafted in the NBA Lottery, it's great for future recruiting.

Here's a really spicy take, Nique Clifford was a better college player this year than Cody. Hindsight is 20/20, but what if we had Clifford right now instead of Cody? Probably a better, more consistent team.

Edit: While I am playing the hypothetical game, if Cody doesn't have injury problems slowing his development this year he could be the third best player on the team right now.

It's what we are seeing with CU too. Right now Luke O'Brien is a better college basketball player (and a better fit for the starting 5) then Cody. I still expect Cody to be a good NBA player and I love that a Buff might get drafted in the NBA Lottery, it's great for future recruiting.

Here's a really spicy take, Nique Clifford was a better college player this year than Cody. Hindsight is 20/20, but what if we had Clifford right now instead of Cody? Probably a better, more consistent team.
That's what made the MWC so good this year. CSU has a senior pg they've developed for 5 years, and then senior transfers for the rest of their starters - some of whom were stars at the D2 & D3 levels. Boise State was similar last night. You can build a damn good college team this way.

Kentucky boosters laugh at that.
I know some Kentucky boosters and they were salty before this season. Underperformance and, despite the Taj Mahal arena they play in and nicer facilities than NBA teams, also pissed about only having the 3rd nicest practice facility in the SEC (LSU & Arkansas upgraded). Significant donors. Big Blue nation is not gonna screw around.

I had CU beating Kentucky to face Houston in the Elite 8. That path is easier today. I won't mention I actually picked the Buffs to beat Arizona in the National Championship 🏆
You've got me beat!

I had a Tennessee-Iowa State final. Betting on the vols using the game they're in the middle of as kind of a get right game after that Mississippi State L.

You've got me beat!

I had a Tennessee-Iowa State final. Betting on the vols using the game they're in the middle of as kind of a get right game after that Mississippi State L.
I have ISU in the Final Four. Tennessee looks strong tonight!

Back