What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2024 Transfer Portal News - Please Respect My Decision

Seem to be a lot of new portal entries today.

Whatever holes CU has after the early period can be addressed in the Jan/Feb period.

And I much prefer the portal to prep recruiting for most additions. Saw a stat today that for prep recruits, 40% of blue chips (4* & 5*) are not with the program they signed with after 2 years - a data point that didn't include last year so pre-portal explosion. That percentage is only going to grow, so I think it pays to be hyper selective when signing preps.

When CU cast it's lot with Coach Prime it agreed to do this the Coach Prime way. This is the Coach Prime way. Lot's of transfers, grad transfers, top shelf albeit a limited number of prep recruits and no pizza parties. It's hard for a lot of fans to go all-in on the Coach Prime way going into year 2 coming off of a four win season. It's not easy for a lot of people to have faith, to Believe, until after the fact. 2024 season should be a great indicator of how well the Coach Prime way works. I can't believe I'm saying this but...thank God CU is in the B12 and not the P12 in 2024 as it should be worth some wins.

Next year's team is going to be substantially deeper and bigger/stronger than this year's team. It will be a true test to see if CP is worth any Win's in the coaching department because this is a 6 or 7 win team on paper as of now if it fills out with similar recruiting. Will coaching and coordinating and in game managing take it to a 8 or 9 win team?

The OL is likely better, the WR is probably similar, the TE room appears similar, the DL looks better, the LB (not sure on this one), the DB room is still deep and probably better. Special Teams should be deeper/better. Positional Packages on Defense should be better / more dynamic. QB depth appears to be mor experienced. We just need that one Blue Chip OT and I'm convinced we will be able to run the ball in 2024 when we need to.

First Test: NDSU

Whatever holes CU has after the early period can be addressed in the Jan/Feb period.

And I much prefer the portal to prep recruiting for most additions. Saw a stat today that for prep recruits, 40% of blue chips (4* & 5*) are not with the program they signed with after 2 years - a data point that didn't include last year so pre-portal explosion. That percentage is only going to grow, so I think it pays to be hyper selective when signing preps.
The norm is going to move to many preps going to second level schools and then transferring after a year or two. Especially with the elimination of the requirement to sit for a year. Let the lower level school develop the players.

Could be a couple different scenarios (I know there are more than this but 2 quick options)

1. Kids go to the lower level schools and the. Play the market after a year or two

2. Going to be a farm system where power schools place preps at certain schools to build depth without scholly’s being used. May even find a way to help fund the schools that do not make the cut into one of the premier conferences.

Next year's team is going to be substantially deeper and bigger/stronger than this year's team. It will be a true test to see if CP is worth any Win's in the coaching department because this is a 6 or 7 win team on paper as of now if it fills out with similar recruiting. Will coaching and coordinating and in game managing take it to a 8 or 9 win team?

The OL is likely better, the WR is probably similar, the TE room appears similar, the DL looks better, the LB (not sure on this one), the DB room is still deep and probably better. Special Teams should be deeper/better. Positional Packages on Defense should be better / more dynamic. QB depth appears to be mor experienced. We just need that one Blue Chip OT and I'm convinced we will be able to run the ball in 2024 when we need to.

OL is clearly more talented and experienced. WR (i love Zay, but) is more talented and has more proven production. RB is same but hopefully healthier. TE is bigger and more talented but not necessarily proven. QB is the same but deeper. DL is more talented and more experienced and more productive. Edge is very similar but younger with a couple of high star sophomore recruits. LB is the same. CB is more experienced and added a slot cover who is a dog. Safety is the same but more experience in Jaden M-J and potentially Adam Hopkins. Special teams is the same.

No group has gone backwards. The WR room is nuts. The OL is better (LT pending). RB should grow on health and experience from Dylan. DL is improved. Edge is equal or better. LB is same talent but another year of learning. CB is a year of learning. Safety is a year of learning.

This team is better at every position. I am excited.

Would love a young safety. Worried about a LT. Would love a LB who scares other teams.

This team is wayyyy better
One more year together
One more year older and stronger
OL way better
WR are way better
RB should be better, but who knows
Yes, Prime needs to coach his ass off this year, but ironically Kelly and Shurmur are seasoned guys that also must elevate

I'm loving the portal stuff more than prep recruits because with the portal, you know you are getting players who already have gone through at least a season with a college team instead of unproven out of high school.

Prep recruiting is going to get so weird. CFB is going to become a pure meritocracy

One place that hasn't gotten better is special teams. It was a disaster last year.
Special teams get better as backup players get better. Usually, great defensive teams have great special teams because DBs and LBs are primarily what make up many ST units. Obviously TEs, RBs and WRs as well. Point being, we had pretty much zero depth anywhere so backups filling out STs just weren’t very good.

As said above, good special teams depend on depth. Also, 2 of the most useful position groups for special teams are your linebackers and tight ends. All areas that were absolute weaknesses in 2023.
4Bienemy said it above, the kickers must perform. All the depth in the world hasn't fixed that uncertainty of each kickoff, field goal attempt, and on a lesser scale, punting. That said, I do understand that the depth will help the overall performance. I just wonder about the key players in special teams, the coaching was questionable too.

Paramount Network Idk GIF by Yellowstone

Back