What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2024 Transfer Portal News - Please Respect My Decision

Nelson going from 5* #1 recruit in USC history to the MTN West shocks me, not that I hate the conference or BSU. How did the recruiting services across the board blow it with him so bad, given that they have all the QB camps etc...?? His HS bio was can't miss: 6'3" 283 "most natural thrower in excellent 2023 group," now they list him at 190. That weight (now listed 190 ) is tough to reconcile with the picture of in the article below. Based on the picture, he would have to have monstrous trunk to get anywhere near 180, looks more like 170. I put the Frosh 247 description below, if anyone wants to read it. This sort of reminds me of Josh Rosen going to the NFL as the best pure passer in the draft. I know highly ranked QB's have moved for playing time, but generally not down divisions as a Spoh--they lateral.

This is as a Frosh:

Tall, lean, and long-armed with slender natural build but frame to add some mass. Fluid mover in general, including arm motion and lower-body mechanics. Range of motion in movement patterns fosters excellent off-platform passing ability and general playmaking acumen. Alters arm angles and delivers with accuracy. Vertical arm strength, intermediate velocity, and touch to all fields speak to elite arm talent. Perhaps the most natural thrower in an excellent 2023 QB group. Flashes the functional athleticism to extend plays outside the pocket, where finding a receiver is almost always the priority over tucking and running. Still, athletic enough to hurt defenses with legs on occasion. Sees the field well and processes naturally. Production has risen each of first three years in high school. INT rate is on the higher end of the spectrum for Top247 quarterbacks -- one every 30.6 throws as a junior, one every 29.9 in freshman through junior seasons. Adding mass and strength will help withstand physical demands of high-major ball. Very likely one of the nation's top quarterbacks -- and overall prospects regardless of position -- in the 2023 class. Projects as an impact starter at the high-major level with long-term early-round NFL Draft potential.

Nelson going from 5* #1 recruit in USC history to the MTN West shocks me, not that I hate the conference or BSU. How did the recruiting services across the board blow it with him so bad, given that they have all the QB camps etc...?? His HS bio was can't miss: 6'3" 283 "most natural thrower in excellent 2023 group," now they list him at 190. That weight (now listed 190 ) is tough to reconcile with the picture of in the article below. Based on the picture, he would have to have monstrous trunk to get anywhere near 180, looks more like 170. I put the Frosh 247 description below, if anyone wants to read it. This sort of reminds me of Josh Rosen going to the NFL as the best pure passer in the draft. I know highly ranked QB's have moved for playing time, but generally not down divisions as a Spoh--they lateral.

This is as a Frosh:

Tall, lean, and long-armed with slender natural build but frame to add some mass. Fluid mover in general, including arm motion and lower-body mechanics. Range of motion in movement patterns fosters excellent off-platform passing ability and general playmaking acumen. Alters arm angles and delivers with accuracy. Vertical arm strength, intermediate velocity, and touch to all fields speak to elite arm talent. Perhaps the most natural thrower in an excellent 2023 QB group. Flashes the functional athleticism to extend plays outside the pocket, where finding a receiver is almost always the priority over tucking and running. Still, athletic enough to hurt defenses with legs on occasion. Sees the field well and processes naturally. Production has risen each of first three years in high school. INT rate is on the higher end of the spectrum for Top247 quarterbacks -- one every 30.6 throws as a junior, one every 29.9 in freshman through junior seasons. Adding mass and strength will help withstand physical demands of high-major ball. Very likely one of the nation's top quarterbacks -- and overall prospects regardless of position -- in the 2023 class. Projects as an impact starter at the high-major level with long-term early-round NFL Draft potential.

I actually have a lot of respect for what he did. I don't think Boise was his highest profile offer, but he knew what he was looking for and stuck with that over higher profile programs.

I actually have a lot of respect for what he did. I don't think Boise was his highest profile offer, but he knew what he was looking for and stuck with that over higher profile programs.
I think it’s possible, if not probable, that higher profile offers weren’t offering him anything other than a chance to compete for QB1. I imagine BSU is guaranteeing him QB1.

I think we’re going to see this more and more from top HS QB recruits who don’t see the field at big programs early on.

I think it’s possible, if not probable, that higher profile offers weren’t offering him anything other than a chance to compete for QB1. I imagine BSU is guaranteeing him QB1.

I think we’re going to see this more and more from top HS QB recruits who don’t see the field at big programs early on.
Possibly, but in any case, I think there was probably more money out there. I like that he prioritized opportunity/fit.

Possibly, but in any case, I think there was probably more money out there. I like that he prioritized opportunity/fit.
Starting for Boise State would definitely get you some exposure, a likelihood of winning a lot of games, and putting you in position to get an NFL shot.

I agree with signing and competing at an elite, but as we've seen you can be buried in a depth chart at QB at some places but then find a great situation.

Would make sense if he bet on himself by accepting several hundred grand less for 2024.

Reactions: GRM
Starting for Boise State would definitely get you some exposure, a likelihood of winning a lot of games, and putting you in position to get an NFL shot.

I agree with signing and competing at an elite, but as we've seen you can be buried in a depth chart at QB at some places but then find a great situation.

Would make sense if he bet on himself by accepting several hundred grand less for 2024.
I think if he has a great season in 2024, he transfers to Ohio State or something. This is the way of the future

I think if he has a great season in 2024, he transfers to Ohio State or something. This is the way of the future
Maybe so. No doubt that if he starts, plays well, and leads them to a 9+ win season that there will be about a dozen schools contacting him with a guaranteed starting job and 7 figures on a bigger stage.

That's the other smart consideration with betting on himself here. Great point.

Maybe so. No doubt that if he starts, plays well, and leads them to a 9+ win season that there will be about a dozen schools contacting him with a guaranteed starting job and 7 figures on a bigger stage.

That's the other smart consideration with betting on himself here. Great point.
LSU can recruit and bring in Underwood and Underwood is inclined to commit to a blue blood like that. Is anyone going to be surprised if/when LSU brings in an elite transfer to start in 2025?

Blue bloods will recruit the top HS QBs for pure speculation in the event they turn into a phenom as a freshman, but they’ll be more inclined to go with a proven commodity.

It’ll be interesting to look at the numbers in a few years of how many all conference/all American QBs became that with the program they signed with out of high school.

Daniels, Penix, Nix, Ewers, Shedeur, just to name a few from this year.

I was always one that believed that a paid for college education is a valuable reward for playing college athletics.

Statistically, a degree is worth anywhere from $1.3 to $1.6 million in a person’s lifetime. Of course that is all dependent on the degree and what the person does with it.

As has been mentioned, about 1.6% of college football players make it to the NFL.

So here’s my concern. With guys jumping from team to team, changing schools, are many of them sacrificing getting their degrees? Also, is the NCAA still enforcing its progress to graduate rules?

As time goes on, we will have data that tracks stuff this.

I was always one that believed that a paid for college education is a valuable reward for playing college athletics.

Statistically, a degree is worth anywhere from $1.3 to $1.6 million in a person’s lifetime. Of course that is all dependent on the degree and what the person does with it.

As has been mentioned, about 1.6% of college football players make it to the NFL.

So here’s my concern. With guys jumping from team to team, changing schools, are many of them sacrificing getting their degrees? Also, is the NCAA still enforcing its progress to graduate rules?

As time goes on, we will have data that tracks stuff this.
That is the feel good story I bought into for a long time too, but it is incomplete. How many others were making (lots of) money off of those athletes?

Back