What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2024 Transfer Portal News - Please Respect My Decision

I was always one that believed that a paid for college education is a valuable reward for playing college athletics.

Statistically, a degree is worth anywhere from $1.3 to $1.6 million in a person’s lifetime. Of course that is all dependent on the degree and what the person does with it.

As has been mentioned, about 1.6% of college football players make it to the NFL.

So here’s my concern. With guys jumping from team to team, changing schools, are many of them sacrificing getting their degrees? Also, is the NCAA still enforcing its progress to graduate rules?

As time goes on, we will have data that tracks stuff this.
It will definitely be interesting to look at graduation rates of CFB players in a few years and compare with the past.

Who knows? Maybe we won't see a decrease but actually see more graduate degrees earned via CFB scholarships. It could go either way.

When the ADs of these universities are making between $30m-$80m/year just on TV rights, + another $20-$30m/year net revenue from tickets, merch, F&B, etc. a feel good college degree (a monetary value over 4 years of maybe $300k) is simply not enough for the people who produce the product that brings in that money.

It’s actually insane that players aren’t employees at this point, getting paid salaries directly from their university.

When the ADs of these universities are making between $30m-$80m/year just on TV rights, + another $20-$30m/year net revenue from tickets, merch, F&B, etc. a feel good college degree (a monetary value over 4 years of maybe $300k) is simply not enough for the people who produce the product that brings in that money.

It’s actually insane that players aren’t employees at this point, getting paid salaries directly from their university.
Hmm. The last time I saw a CU budget, revenue was approximately equal to expenses. Many schools are at negative revenue. But they’re probably lying.

If that happens, kill the sport with fire. I will never be on board with that.

Hmm. The last time I saw a CU budget, revenue was approximately equal to expenses. Many schools are at negative revenue. But they’re probably lying.
Fair. I was talking about football only.

FY 2022, Football had Revenues at almost $50m with expenses around $25.5m so a net revenue of around $23m. MBB had $1.5m in net revenues. Everything else was at a loss.

I can’t even imagine what footballs net revenue is going to be for FY 2023.

That is the feel good story I bought into for a long time too, but it is incomplete. How many others were making (lots of) money off of those athletes?
Well, which non revenue sports shall we axe? How do you divvy up all the revenue to all the universities and all of their players. Or do only the revenue sports athletes get paid?

Last edited:
Fair. I was talking about football only.

FY 2022, Football had Revenues at almost $50m with expenses around $25.5m so a net revenue of around $23m. MBB had $1.5m in net revenues. Everything else was at a loss.

I can’t even imagine what footballs net revenue is going to be for FY 2023.

Oh and this was the old Pac 12 media deal, before the $30m/year tv revenue that CU will start receiving next year.

Well, which non revenue sports shall we axe? How do you divvy up all the revenue to all the universities and all of their players. Or do only the revenue sports athletes get paid?
I wasn't really talking about the Universities.

On board with players being paid commensurate with the revenue they generate for their universities? Why?
This isn't pro sports. Nearly everything that made college football great and different from the NFL has largely already been ruined.

Making the players paid employees will just kill off anything remaining that made the sport great and unique.

I don't watch college ball for the quality of the play on the field. I watch for the pageantry, passion, genuine vitriol for your rivals, developing a rooting interest in YOUR players for 3-5 years.

What's the point of college ball when all that stuff s gone and the players are barely even students with a loose affiliation to the university?

Just start a dedicated minor league system at that point.

Hell...let's just have NFL teams have a special draft for high school players then call the colleges their minor league affiliates or say, so and so, the QB for Alabama has his draft rights owned by the Atlanta Falcons?

This isn't pro sports. Nearly everything that made college football great and different from the NFL has largely already been ruined.

Making the players paid employees will just kill off anything remaining that made the sport great and unique.

I don't watch college ball for the quality of the play on the field. I watch for the pageantry, passion, genuine vitriol for your rivals, developing a rooting interest in YOUR players for 3-5 years.

What's the point of college ball when all that stuff s gone and the players are barely even students with a loose affiliation to the university?

I mean, if you’re still paying attention to CFB today, I’m not sure what the difference is. Everything you named is essentially gone. College football as you know it is and has been gone for a couple years now.

I mean, if you’re still paying attention to CFB today, I’m not sure what the difference is. Everything you named is essentially gone. College football as you know it is and has been gone for a couple years now.
Paying attention and caring are different things. I used to watch 12 hours of football every Saturday during the fall...

Now, I watch Colorado games and snippets of other highlights.

Aside from the Bana-Michigan game, I haven't watched any post season football this year.

Paying attention and caring are different things. I used to watch 12 hours of football every Saturday during the fall...

Now, I watch Colorado games and snippets of other highlights.

Aside from the Bana-Michigan game, I haven't watched any post season football this year.
Ok, so if players start getting paid commensurate with the value they bring the networks and ADs, you’ll just pay attention less?

A couple? LMAO
I kind of put the line of demarcation on this subject at the start of NIL and Transfer Portal. So maybe more than two, but less than five. Before then, at least you still had a semblance of connection to players on the roster and a bit more tradition and pageantry.

Perhaps the formation of the 4 team playoff was really the beginning of the end

I kind of put the line of demarcation on this subject at the start of NIL and Transfer Portal. So maybe more than two, but less than five. Before then, at least you still had a semblance of connection to players on the roster and a bit more tradition and pageantry.

Perhaps the formation of the 4 team playoff was really the beginning of the end

Major conference realignment kicked off well before the four team playoff.

I don’t disagree, at all. One of the lesser mentioned flaws in the transfer portal is the “free agency”/mercenary feel of bringing in players for a year (sometimes less) or so.

They’ll always be a connection to a team in “your team’s” uniform, but that old-school connection to players that have grown up in those uniforms is pretty much gone.

That had been a bigger part of my enjoyment of CF than I had realized until recently, and one of the things I enjoyed about CF over the NFL. I also liked all the different schemes and odd offensives, as NFL teams are such carbon copies of each other schematically: one team comes up with something, the next year everyone is using it. I think even the scheme thing will change, as you have to be able to plug and play players quickly. No building a line that understands option concepts, anymore.

I do. A lot of what he talks about is from the days of college football being regional (in the best ways).
Eh, I think there was some loss of some rivalries (CU/NU, NU/OU, UT, aTm), but bowls still mattered. Most traditions and rivalries were in tact. You felt connection with players at your school and you knew most of the roster every year.

I think transfer portal and NIL is what mostly killed the sport *as we knew it*, IMO, but your point is taken.

Eh, I think there was some loss of some rivalries (CU/NU, NU/OU, UT, aTm), but bowls still mattered. Most traditions and rivalries were in tact. You felt connection with players at your school and you knew most of the roster every year.

I think transfer portal and NIL is what mostly killed the sport *as we knew it*, IMO, but your point is taken.
I can look past NIL. The transfer portal, for as much as CU has benefitted under Prime, killed college football as we knew it.

Back