What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2024 Transfer Portal News - Please Respect My Decision

Obviously, as many have said, the regulation issue derives from the inherent tension between student and athlete. A new system has to figure that dynamic out, which certainly may require abandoning the old rules and traditions surrounding the “amateur” athlete.

We need a “ground up” revamp of CF to get this thing to work equitably and competitively. Of course, as with most societal economic issues, those who have been well paid in the old system will fight most substantive changes to a new design.

I absolutely do not see any of the present institutional forces (ever?) willing to rebuild a system that makes sense in the context of student/athletes getting “paid.” But then, the idea of unlimited transferring seemed unfathomable just a few years ago, and here we are.

Obviously, as many have said, the regulation issue derives from the inherent tension between student and athlete. A new system has to figure that dynamic out, which certainly may require abandoning the old rules and traditions surrounding the “amateur” athlete.

We need a “ground up” revamp of CF to get this thing to work equitably and competitively. Of course, as with most societal economic issues, those who have been well paid in the old system will fight most substantive changes to a new design.

I absolutely do not see any of the present institutional forces (ever?) willing to rebuild a system that makes sense in the context of student/athletes getting “paid.” But then, the idea of unlimited transferring seemed unfathomable just a few years ago, and here we are.

I will continue to tout the potential similarity between how the Bundesliga or La Liga or others in Europe are operated and how stupidly brilliantly dumb CFB is.

Europe does not have the same type of Collegiate Athletic Structure and thus the sports can be organized in a better way.

If the Colleges themselves do not quickly organize themselves, work together, and prevent the Networks, Conferences, CFP, or others to drive this ship, then this system will continue to suck balls. NIL is the worst possible result of the system. Networks make money, Coaches make money, Schools make some money, and the players are getting paid in a crooked way that does not take any money away from the main players.

The colleges need to engage their boosters to create a public-private sports super structure that can supercharge Football for all schools and levels and coordinate support and player beneficial organization.

The money that was awash at the CFP and the money that is being splashed around to players like Lundy is pathetic

Tear me apart, but doing the right thing will not happen as long as greedy bastards are already inside

Additionally, College would be Job/Career Training as an augment to Playing Sports
There is a solution and it will take compromise and creativity, but I feel that the ONLY party that can make this happen is all the Universities working TOGETHER.

I love College Football, but it is heading to its death

I will continue to tout the potential similarity between how the Bundesliga or La Liga or others in Europe are operated and how stupidly brilliantly dumb CFB is.

Europe does not have the same type of Collegiate Athletic Structure and thus the sports can be organized in a better way.

If the Colleges themselves do not quickly organize themselves, work together, and prevent the Networks, Conferences, CFP, or others to drive this ship, then this system will continue to suck balls. NIL is the worst possible result of the system. Networks make money, Coaches make money, Schools make some money, and the players are getting paid in a crooked way that does not take any money away from the main players.

The colleges need to engage their boosters to create a public-private sports super structure that can supercharge Football for all schools and levels and coordinate support and player beneficial organization.

The money that was awash at the CFP and the money that is being splashed around to players like Lundy is pathetic

Tear me apart, but doing the right thing will not happen as long as greedy bastards are already inside
NIL was morally & ethically right. Players should be able to earn money from sponsorships when entities want to use their name, image or likeness to market their product. The school shouldn't own or be able to block NIL opportunities.

The issue, as Coach Prime has stated, is with Collectives. Boosters creating an entity to pool their money to pay quasi salaries & signing bonuses for the team was not the intent of this and will almost certainly be addressed and regulated.

In terms of structure, we're going to need a way to decouple revenue sports from the non-profit AD & university, form a league, pay players, unionize players, have a CBA between the union & league, and do this without destroying the negative revenue college sports.

NIL was morally & ethically right. Players should be able to earn money from sponsorships when entities want to use their name, image or likeness to market their product. The school shouldn't own or be able to block NIL opportunities.

The issue, as Coach Prime has stated, is with Collectives. Boosters creating an entity to pool their money to pay quasi salaries & signing bonuses for the team was not the intent of this and will almost certainly be addressed and regulated.

In terms of structure, we're going to need a way to decouple revenue sports from the non-profit AD & university, form a league, pay players, unionize players, have a CBA between the union & league, and do this without destroying the negative revenue college sports.
The concept of all these "member" ADs working together to negotiate with a player's association made up of 18-23 year olds makes me chuckle. I get the idea as a desirable framework, but the interests are too distorted to imagine there's a realistic opportunity to make it happen.

That said, if the person exists that could successfully spearhead such an org as a commissioner; keep all these lunatics mildly content. What do we have to do to get them in the Oval?

Negative revenue sports will just become intramurals at most places. Women’s bball, vball, and gymnastics will likely make it because they have TV deals.

The solution to some of these issues will likely be worse than the issues themselves. Congress? What could possibly go wrong with getting Congress involved?

I’ve come to the conclusion that my personal passion for college football is gone. I didn’t watch a single Bowl game or NC playoff game. Not. One. If it wasn’t for Prime, I’d have zero interest in college football at all. He is the one thing that keeps me tuned in. Once he’s gone, something else might reel me in, but I doubt it. Am I alone? No, but based on the ratings, it’s pretty clear there are a lot of people interested in the CFP.

The solution to some of these issues will likely be worse than the issues themselves. Congress? What could possibly go wrong with getting Congress involved?

I’ve come to the conclusion that my personal passion for college football is gone. I didn’t watch a single Bowl game or NC playoff game. Not. One. If it wasn’t for Prime, I’d have zero interest in college football at all. He is the one thing that keeps me tuned in. Once he’s gone, something else might reel me in, but I doubt it. Am I alone? No, but based on the ratings, it’s pretty clear there are a lot of people interested in the CFP.
Good post. I used to watch most every bowl game. Only the very bottom (Beef O'Brady Bowl and the like) escaped me. This year, I casually watched maybe 3-4 because they happened to be on when I had time to sit and zone, and the CFP. Teams that have the holy grail of money, exposure and tradition, in that order, are going to dominate. Prime is an outlier, but even he needs to have a bag to offer.

Without Prime CU FB would already be a dried out husk floating next to Wazzu and Oregon St.. Maybe CU would have gotten into the B12, but we'd be there with the Bronco Mendenhall minivan leading the charge, and most every decent player portalled out to other schools. The best CU could have hoped for would be fighting to stay out of the Pac (or what remained of it) basement, or the B12 basement.

Prime was quite probably the ONLY HC that could keep CU from the abyss. When he goes, I suspect CU drops and my interest level drops too. So, viva Prime, I am enjoying it while it lasts. After that, CFB is probably dead to me.

College football has won over a lot of casual viewers who have no real connection to any schools anf just like watching football. More NFL fans are watching college football now than before too.

College football has lost a lot of die hard fans, but the casuals have more than replaced them.

Good post. I used to watch most every bowl game. Only the very bottom (Beef O'Brady Bowl and the like) escaped me. This year, I casually watched maybe 3-4 because they happened to be on when I had time to sit and zone, and the CFP. Teams that have the holy grail of money, exposure and tradition, in that order, are going to dominate. Prime is an outlier, but even he needs to have a bag to offer.

Without Prime CU FB would already be a dried out husk floating next to Wazzu and Oregon St.. Maybe CU would have gotten into the B12, but we'd be there with the Bronco Mendenhall minivan leading the charge, and most every decent player portalled out to other schools. The best CU could have hoped for would be fighting to stay out of the Pac (or what remained of it) basement, or the B12 basement.

Prime was quite probably the ONLY HC that could keep CU from the abyss. When he goes, I suspect CU drops and my interest level drops too. So, viva Prime, I am enjoying it while it lasts. After that, CFB is probably dead to me.
Pretty much sums up my sentiment too. When CU slips beneath the surface, it’ll likely spell the end of my interest in what was my favorite sport during my favorite time of year.

I don't watch nearly as much sports as I used to and funneled almost all my attention to CFB and CBB. But how much I'm watching there has also declined.

I'm not sure, though, how much of that is due to changes not being appealing. I'll bitch, but I'm very much an "embrace and adapt" type person when it comes to change. So I think my declining interest is mostly due to the normal life interest changes from getting older. Sports is fun. But it's much more about experiences with friends and family now.

For example, there's no way I'd try to avoid my wife suggesting that we go out on a Friday or Saturday because there's a game I wanted to watch. But if there aren't plans, I'm still more likely to park my ass on the couch from Gameday thru Pac-12 After Dark if nothing else gets suggested.

****in Great Post!!!

Negative revenue sports will just become intramurals at most places. Women’s bball, vball, and gymnastics will likely make it because they have TV deals.
I don't know that it will go that far. But I think partial scholarships and regional conferences for these sports which drastically cut travel expenses will be the result.

Frustrated Head GIF

Spin it off and make it a separate league and you can opt out of getting a degree and sign contracts like the NFL pay for play.

It seems degrees don't matter much here unfortunately it's all about the bag. I think it's a travesty but that's how it is. As it stands I'm going to opt out of watching. There needs to be some kind of regulation.
This is where I’m at. Minor league football and return college football to actual amateur status and get out if the big money.

I don't watch nearly as much sports as I used to and funneled almost all my attention to CFB and CBB. But how much I'm watching there has also declined.

I'm not sure, though, how much of that is due to changes not being appealing. I'll bitch, but I'm very much an "embrace and adapt" type person when it comes to change. So I think my declining interest is mostly due to the normal life interest changes from getting older. Sports is fun. But it's much more about experiences with friends and family now.

For example, there's no way I'd try to avoid my wife suggesting that we go out on a Friday or Saturday because there's a game I wanted to watch. But if there aren't plans, I'm still more likely to park my ass on the couch from Gameday thru Pac-12 After Dark if nothing else gets suggested.
This is me

I'll also state it as, I still really enjoy the live game experience, but the TV experience of sports is greatly diminished for me, as is the interest in following news about the sports.

This is me

I'll also state it as, I still really enjoy the live game experience, but the TV experience of sports is greatly diminished for me, as is the interest in following news about the sports.
I watch CU because its CU. I only watch other games now because of gambling. I have little to no interest in watching sports now, partly because I lived in Red Sox and Patriots nation for 15 years. Those people suck the life out of any sports fan.

I don't know that it will go that far. But I think partial scholarships and regional conferences for these sports which drastically cut travel expenses will be the result.
It may not, but it’ll require substantial support from student fees or alternate private funding. The neg-rev sports will have a tough hill to climb without the support of their more profitable mates.

Back