What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'21 TNFR QB JT Shrout (SIGNED to COLORADO)

Noyer isn't moving on.

We don't know that-For all you and I know, Noyer could have his bachelors and a masters done at the end of this academic year. If he does, I'm not sure what the point of another year in school is. More tape for the NFL? I guess-but he'd have to think he's gonna put up Joe Burrow at LSU in 2019 type numbers for that. Do you see that? I don't.

BigBang and his love affair with redshirts for the most inappropriate players never ceases to amaze me.

The first option should be to redshirt all freshmen. Must have to be able to beat out upper classman by a mile on day one to avoid the red shirt tag.. New students need that year to get used to college life.

Noyer, Shout, Lewis, Carter, the walk on, competition breads success.
The walk on isn’t a walk on anymore so there’s some thinning of the scholarship QB room that seems necessary before the end of spring.

That’s a hell of a recruiting sales pitch!

Well got to be honest to recruits. Will give you every chance to beat out the upper classman. But if it is close, you will be redshirted. I don't get why people see redshirting as a bad thing. You get to develop your game, work on academics and preserve a year of eligibility.

Last edited:
The walk on isn’t a walk on anymore so there’s some thinning of the scholarship QB room that seems necessary before the end of spring.
I love what Sam did this year, and I hope he plays well tomorrow, and I really want to see Lewis get some series, but I would like Sam to move on and let Lewis and Shrout compete next year. Carter needs to likely go through that Freshman year growth period.

I love what Sam did this year, and I hope he plays well tomorrow, and I really want to see Lewis get some series, but I would like Sam to move on and let Lewis and Shrout compete next year. Carter needs to likely go through that Freshman year growth period.
I want Noyer to do what is best for Noyer. The staff needed to ensure they were not in a spot where they had Lewis, Chandler, and Carter in that room. Can't hand BL anything. If he's as good as we think he is, he'll win the job.

How can you be sure Carter isn't the best QB that CU has signed in decades? God, accuracy of these things is fairly low. Who's the QB for the Buffalo Bills?
He could be, but the fact is we are going into spring with 5 scholarship QBs, 3 of which are freshmen and 4 of which have never taken a snap in a Buff uniform. I don’t see them all sticking past spring.

And let’s be real, Josh Allen being an NFL QB doesn’t mean every QB on a college football team has an equal chance of being successful.

He shouldn't be. Any coach in America in KD's shoes would have found another option to at least credibly provide competition for Lewis regardless of whether or not Noyer leaves. If Lewis is what we think he is, he shouldn't have trouble beating Shrout out.
Could Lewis beat him out based on just dual threat legs and overall decision making? I hope so. Dual threat all the way is my preference.

The first option should be to redshirt all freshmen. Must have to be able to beat out upper classman by a mile on day one to avoid the red shirt tag.. New students need that year to get used to college life.
Literally the opposite of what you do. If a true freshman and an upper classman are equal or close to equal, the freshman starts.

If you're redshirting every one of your freshman, your recruiting is garbage. What year are you living in?

He could be, but the fact is we are going into spring with 5 scholarship QBs, 3 of which are freshmen and 4 of which have never taken a snap in a Buff uniform. I don’t see them all sticking past spring.

And let’s be real, Josh Allen being an NFL QB doesn’t mean every QB on a college football team has an equal chance of being successful.
Let’s be real, Josh Allen being an NFL QB isn't the first time the experts were fooled in a meaningful way in either direction. So hoping the guy quits football before we've seen him play is pretty silly. Their accuracy rate from age 17 to about 24 when we have a meaningful idea of true outcome is not close to a slam dunk. Pro scouts are blowing millions on this issue.

To your second point, 5 scholarship QBs in a year where there's extra players due to the pandemic is probably not bloated at all. 3 that are Freshmen? It's funny math. We have two from '20 and one from '21.

And what's been written about this Chandler dude? Has Adam stated that he's definitely awarded a scholarship going forward and as a QB? So assuming that is all factual, I don't see that we have a logjam of Freshmen QBs that won't easily resolve itself soon enough.

Edit: I just watched Chandler's high school tape and that is very entertaining. More than a little reminder of Kyler Murray there (not just height).

Last edited:
Literally the opposite of what you do. If a true freshman and an upper classman are equal or close to equal, the freshman starts.

If you're redshirting every one of your freshman, your recruiting is garbage. What year are you living in?

I disagree, but will give the Freshman a few games. Didn't they change the rule that you can still redshirt a player if they play a couple of games? There is value in saving that extra year of eligibility.

Yep. Play the more talented guy regardless of age -- otherwise you get 2017 when the bigbang approach had our upperclassman WRs causing Shenault to ride the pine.

Could Lewis beat him out based on just dual threat legs and overall decision making? I hope so. Dual threat all the way is my preference.

Sure. I do too-I just don't want to be handing a freshman the starting QB job. He needs to earn it.

If a true freshman is relatively equal to an upperclassman that means the upperclassman has been recruited over by a superior athlete.

I don't know if starting the freshman is automatic because having some experience and leadership has value but the freshman certainly doesn't spend the year on the bench. He plays enough to get some experience and it is understood that if his improvement warrants it he takes over as the starter.

Redshirting though has also changed because with a player being able to participate in up to four games without losing a year of eligibility you can get guys some real game experience without costing them a year. Again if they show on the field then you skip saving the year and play them.

Some of your freshmen are going to simply not be ready, either physically, mentally, or both. This is more frequently the case with your linemen who may be "big" enough but need to physically mature.

I agree completely with Duff though in that the QB position has been mismanaged for years. Regardless of who your starter is we need to get real time for our backup(s) and we should never be in the situation of having to go into a game or a season without a QB who has enough significant game action to be comfortable with the role. This means game time when we are still running the offense and have starters still in the game.

If your upperclassman starting QB can't handle his backup getting some playing time he probably shouldn't be your starter.

RIx5.gif

Let’s be real, Josh Allen being an NFL QB isn't the first time the experts were fooled in a meaningful way in either direction. So hoping the guy quits football before we've seen him play is pretty silly. Their accuracy rate from age 17 to about 24 when we have a meaningful idea of true outcome is not close to a slam dunk. Pro scouts are blowing millions on this issue.

To your second point, 5 scholarship QBs in a year where there's extra players due to the pandemic is probably not bloated at all. 3 that are Freshmen? It's funny math. We have two from '20 and one from '21.

And what's been written about this Chandler dude? Has Adam stated that he's definitely awarded a scholarship going forward and as a QB? So assuming that is all factual, I don't see that we have a logjam of Freshmen QBs that won't easily resolve itself soon enough.

Edit: I just watched Chandler's high school tape and that is very entertaining. More than a little reminder of Kyler Murray there (not just height).
Fooled? Allen literally spent the entire offseason changing the entirety of his throwing motion. The Bills also traded for Stefon Diggs, which has been fortuitous for the Bills’ offense. Allen has had exactly one season ever as an accurate passer. And BTW, how in god’s name are you comparing a lightly recruited QB with little physical makeup equivalent to Allen supposed to bolster your argument?

Did the NCAA increase the scholarship limit from 85? If so great, but if not then having “extra players due to the pandemic” does seem unsustainable.

I suspect it will sort itself out in spring because if it doesn’t, recruiting a ‘22 QB is going to be very difficult with 5 scholarship QBs and 3 freshmen on the roster heading into fall.

Back