What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

22-23 Transfer Portal and General Recruiting Catch-All Thread

It's just kind of funny to hear him say - "no hats, no hoodies, no earrings..." I like it. But how would that have gone over on college Deion Sanders?
I was a coach and one of the best players I coached was complete F*** up.

He later became a coach and from the reporting I get, is an absolute tyrant. Everything is “yes sir no sir.” Etc.

it is an interesting phenomenon.

If you have the time, I HIGHLY recommend going on 24/7, MaxPreps, Hudl, etc and doing some "comparison shopping" between the vids of players we had committed and players who are now interested in us. Even to an unsophisticated football fan the differences are glaring.

This. It doesn't count. Neither do the "they essentially got cut from the team, but the school is keeping them on a scholarship" scholarships.
Honestly, I don't really have an issue with cutting players from scholarship. Academic scholarships get taken if you don't maintain grades, so why should athletic scholarships be guaranteed for 4 years? If a player doesn't live up to HS production or talent level and isn't even a ST contributor, then take your credits earned over 2-3 years (let's be honest, most of the kids we're talking about wouldn't be cut until after their 2nd or 3rd season) and either become a normal, tuition paying student at the university, or find another university/program to give you a scholarship to finish out your degree. I really don't have a problem with that.

Reality check time. Prime is Prime, but the almighty dollar is going to be a problem for us, because it's a problem for everyone:

Yeah, the blue bloods are still going to get and keep their dudes that get offered that kind of money, no doubt. I have a feeling there are many other blue chip prospects who aren't getting that kind of offer, though, and will receive Prime's "NFL not NIL" pitch and take it to heart.

From what I've gathered, and what is listed at 24/7, this is where we stand with 2023.

View attachment 56575

Most of these have been mentioned here, I just wanted to get a list up. If I've missed any, or any have been posted on Twitter, I can quickly update.
Zilinskas needs to be told to move on. If he gets to stay it's likely so that Prime keeps good relations with Logan/CC and nothing more.

Honestly, I don't really have an issue with cutting players from scholarship. Academic scholarships get taken if you don't maintain grades, so why should athletic scholarships be guaranteed for 4 years? If a player doesn't live up to HS production or talent level and isn't even a ST contributor, then take your credits earned over 2-3 years (let's be honest, most of the kids we're talking about wouldn't be cut until after their 2nd or 3rd season) and either become a normal, tuition paying student at the university, or find another university/program to give you a scholarship to finish out your degree. I really don't have a problem with that.
Academics feels like it is more within the students power rather than how ****ty the football program is...

Yeah, the blue bloods are still going to get and keep their dudes that get offered that kind of money, no doubt. I have a feeling there are many other blue chip prospects who aren't getting that kind of offer, though, and will receive Prime's "NFL not NIL" pitch and take it to heart.
Yup. Don't need to land um all. Just like coaching salaries, we won't be able to match, but if we can be competitive enough, other factors (Boulder, Prime, NFL, Village Coffee Shop, etc.) might be enough to land serious talent.

Where this probably falls apart is for the real premier guys at QB if the money really is better than NFL money. I don't see how we ever pay a player as much as we are paying our HC.

I think the difference is that academic scholarships aren't lost if a freshman comes in with better test scores and then gets better grades than you or if your academic advisor recruits a transfer student from Cal that is smarter than you.

I'm fine the 4 year guarantee for athletes (esp in re: medical retirements - side eye look at Okie Lite) given that the coaches are always trying to bring someone in who is better than they are.

Why should they be guaranteed for four years? Because that was the deal that the school made when the player committed. If an academic scholarship was guaranteed with no performance strings, you'd have to honor that too.

Academics feels like it is more within the students power rather than how ****ty the football program is...
There should probably be a review board or performance evaluation process, but how is it any different from a real life job where not hitting metrics as a sales person gets you canned, or going to work for Google and not being able to keep up with other minds around you gets you let go?

There should probably be a review board or performance evaluation process, but how is it any different from a real life job where not hitting metrics as a sales person gets you canned, or going to work for Google and not being able to keep up with other minds around you gets you let go?
Because there are alot more variables. However, if a player had measurable criteria to evaluate their performance that wouldn't be a terrible idea

this thread is way off track…you are throwing out some comical non sequiturs, but not like any of us here are the ones making these decisions, so agree to disagree

Recruiting for most schools is identifying lots of talent and selling them only the best case scenario. Player NIL deals aren’t getting paid. Promises from coaches go unfulfilled.

When the player feels duped and that there are other opportunities available, the portal provides a lifeline.

One thing I love about Prime is his brutal honesty. When he was at JSU and asked if he’d consider and/or leave a P5 opportunity, he stated unequivocally that he would both consider and leave for the right opportunity. He tells the players the unvarnished truth. Expectations are crystal clear.
I think you know that I have been preaching this about him since he was on our radar. This is a FAR too overlooked quality about him. He is a real one (as the kids will say). Don't get lost in the flash that is Prime Time. Deion Sanders is a LEGIT business man, mentor, football coach....HOF'er...all wrapped in the one of the greatest sports personas of our life time. How so many people across this country didn't see this, or are shocked by what he is doing, still blows my mind.

Hear me out. A full recruiting class of 5* players.

just let that one simmer.

this thread is way off track…you are throwing out some comical non sequiturs, but not like any of us here are the ones making these decisions, so agree to disagree
Eh, CFB is big business for the schools and a job for the players now. I get athletic scholarship standards aren't in the hands of the player as much as academic scholarships are for a student, but comparing it to business is relevant, IMO. If a program isn't up to snuff, the players can bail for greener pastures and leave the program in the lurch ala Rice, Blackmon, Gonzo, Perry, Broussard, Stanley, etc last year. If a player isn't up to snuff, it's time for that player to move on.

Why should they be guaranteed for four years? Because that was the deal that the school made when the player committed. If an academic scholarship was guaranteed with no performance strings, you'd have to honor that too.
So should the players also be bound to a University for 4 years because that's the deal they signed? It's a circular argument that is trying to blend the feelings of protecting the players from the amateur days of the sport with rules of the professional days of the sport now.

I'm just curious how they are sifting through everyone....do we offer this guy or wait for this guy to decide and risk getting neither , etc..... It has gotta be harrowing on the fly. For all teams but more so us this year...also, coaches unless they hate e/o like a Weis/Pete thing, they help each other out and what not...but would it be considered ok to call a coach about a player transferring from his program for an honest assessment or does that not happen I wonder?

Back