What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

22-23 Transfer Portal and General Recruiting Catch-All Thread

Totally understand, but that guy has one season left before he's eligible for the NFL and is presumably going to be a 3 year starter and compete for a Natty next year. Just seems like an odd move, even if you are fascinated with Prime.
For me, so much of the transfer portal is an expression of the lower-level details, interpersonal interactions, enjoyment of daily life (or lack of it), friends, family, maybe one or two people/coaches you just hate having to deal with every day. The portal has brought all of those issues into play, as it's possible to transfer and continue to play. Sure, a bunch of the decisions are about getting to the next level in football, getting onto the field, or finding an NIL deal, but I think there's a level of underdiscussed personal motivations. Each player is a unique individual that may or may not fit into the interpersonal dynamics where they are--beyond football. Or maybe they just aren't inspired by the people around them or don't like where they live, which in some of these University cities, I can completely understand. And we now have football AND flatirons. Just my two cents worth.

Last edited:
I do think Prime can make up for it a bit just by who he is and being able to offer something. Then again, he got Walmart and other companies to make big investments in Jackson State, so maybe CU truly will have big time NIL money at some point. You have to think there are some companies out there wanting to be associated with what's going on right now.
It's a different play with corporate sponsorship. Involvement with HBCUs is a corporate brand investment that has value regardless of wins, losses or media exposure. Investment in a P5 only has value if there's enough juice from the school's brand to give more advertising exposure than other places that marketing budget can be spent. The money's there and it's a lot more money than a JSU could attract, but it's money that is looking for ROI so it's a different animal.

Awkward Bye Bye GIF

He's going to be really good with a chance to win the Heisman. I compare him to Bailey Zappe with a worse deep ball and better legs with a pre snap read as good as Jake Fromm out of Georgia. He's a very accurate and smart QB. He's constantly getting better. Pocket QB. Reader of the game.

He can play but he isn't quite a NFL prospect yet. He's close. That deep ball has to improve and obviously you want to see his style of QB against better competition. If he was a freak athletic with great size, I wouldn't care but he's a cerebral QB who's precision based. I definitely think he could be a 1st round pick in time. I would like to see him behind a much better OL. JSU OL is not good at all. It's bad. Decent in the SWAC and good in some games but overall, most of these kids aren't talented on the OL.

If I had to compare him to Cam Ward. I would say when Cam left UIW, he was more talented, a lot less polished. Even Lindsey Scott Jr who replaced Ward put up superior numbers with far less natural talent than Ward. Sanders is talented but not overly talented. He's overly smart and extremely accurate. Does not miss many throws and you don't see as many spectacular catches because his balls are on target. You do see him some WR drops though. Shedeur is always improving. I'll say that as well. His mobility is miles better this year, than last year.

I'll say he's better than Ward when Ward came out but he's not as talented as Ward. I saw a lot of Ward at UIW. I also saw a number of Scott Jr games at UIW. Who you have around Sanders will matter even more than Ward because Sanders is not as talented.
Damn. The above bolded/underlined is very disappointing for me. I was looking forward to more dirt balls on RB release safety outlets and WR screens.

Fair. You do have to wonder just how much NIL $$ there is at CU. I mean, this is amazing and I'm sure there is a lot of money, but if all these blue chip players and established high end players playing the Free Agency game are looking for big NIL deals, I can't imagine Prime can afford more than few big fish.

Then again, his sales pitch of, "I don't want them focused on NIL, I want them focused on NFL" is pretty great and maybe he's able to pull it off
That's where Prime's friends (Hi, Dave Portnoy) come in handy.

Is it too much work to merge all the Transfer Portal threads? I think there are at least 3 of them at this point.
Which three are you talking about? There's 2023, 2022, and the Barzil one. Can't merge Barzil with the others. You saying to merge 2022 and 2023? I think those make sense to be separate.

The toughest part about relying is on the portal is I think in general there are a lot fewer quality OL and DL that can play that hit the portal, and those guys are coveted by everybody. I think we'll be able to bring in a lot of upgrades for offensive skill players and the secondary, but I think USC's performance this year showed its a lot tougher to bring in enough quality numbers on the lines, that was their weakest areas this year. Even if you pull highly rated high school guys, most need at least a couple off years to learn technique and build college bodies.

Fair. You do have to wonder just how much NIL $$ there is at CU. I mean, this is amazing and I'm sure there is a lot of money, but if all these blue chip players and established high end players playing the Free Agency game are looking for big NIL deals, I can't imagine Prime can afford more than few big fish.

Then again, his sales pitch of, "I don't want them focused on NIL, I want them focused on NFL" is pretty great and maybe he's able to pull it off

What if it isn't the NIL money *at CU* that matters but the NIL money, period, and those companies have no real preference where a guy plays as they don't see themselves as boosters where, but rather just a sponsorship in the traditional sense? You say he got Walmart involved in JSU, do Walmart care about JSU and get involved because it's JSU or because they feel like it's a wortwhile cause for their sponsorship funds to be spent on something with high visibility? So what if we can get guys who get their money no matter what as they're national companies and all they have to do is be in the spotlight?

Which three are you talking about? There's 2023, 2022, and the Barzil one. Can't merge Barzil with the others. You saying to merge 2022 and 2023? I think those make sense to be separate.

I would agree that it makes sense to move most portal stuff to the main football board ... and possibly even have one thread for general CU recruiting there as I figure that might take off.

Have been for like a year lol. See my edited pos abovet, I'm not sure which threads you were talking about.
Just not a member of the Junta, huh? No cocaine and strippers for you!

There's the 2022 Transfer Portal thread, the 2023 transfer portal thead, and the Transfer Portal news thread I believe. I don't see the purpose of having three of them that are discussing the same things.

What if it isn't the NIL money *at CU* that matters but the NIL money, period, and those companies have no real preference where a guy plays as they don't see themselves as boosters where, but rather just a sponsorship in the traditional sense? You say he got Walmart involved in JSU, do Walmart care about JSU and get involved because it's JSU or because they feel like it's a wortwhile cause for their sponsorship funds to be spent on something with high visibility? So what if we can get guys who get their money no matter what as they're national companies and all they have to do is be in the spotlight?
Well, I think that was the initial intent of NIL; for players to seek out sponsorships like that, independent of the schools themselves. Once the big programs started creating collectives so their boosters could drive NIL, rather than rely on companies who could sponsor the recruits anywhere, it changed things a bit.

If Prime is the draw for kids and he or CU can assist with getting corporate sponsors for various players and it doesn't come from the CU collective, that works too

The toughest part about relying is on the portal is I think in general there are a lot fewer quality OL and DL that can play that hit the portal, and those guys are coveted by everybody. I think we'll be able to bring in a lot of upgrades for offensive skill players and the secondary, but I think USC's performance this year showed its a lot tougher to bring in enough quality numbers on the lines, that was their weakest areas this year. Even if you pull highly rated high school guys, most need at least a couple off years to learn technique and build college bodies.
This gives me a sad. It makes sense, but I've had 24 hours of the rush of Prime adrenaline that anything is possible. I need to step back from the furnace for a few.

Just not a member of the Junta, huh? No cocaine and strippers for you!

There's the 2022 Transfer Portal thread, the 2023 transfer portal thead, and the Transfer Portal news thread I believe. I don't see the purpose of having three of them that are discussing the same things.

Done, mostly. Can't really merge them. Jens locked the recruiting forum one too.

Back