What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

4 Reasons To Like the Denver Johnson Hire

As evidenced by the converted DLinemen we had playing on the OLine last year, we had NO depth at all. This 'talent and depth' hasn't shown up because it hasn't yet been on the field at the same time.

Fixed.

I also like this hire because I have a soft spot for ISU (Illinois, not Iowa). My mom grew up in Normal and most of her family still live there. In fact, I think both of my mom's parents went to ISU and they met on the marching band bus on the way to or from a football game. I suppose I sort of owe my existence to ISU. I never really thought of that before but there it is I guess. Hooray for rambling posts!

As evidenced by the converted DLinemen we had playing on the OLine last year, we had NO depth at all. This 'talent and depth' hasn't shown up yet because it hasn't existed.

Evidence that we now have depth at O-Line, for me, is the very high liklihood that Jack Harris will redshirt next year. If we didn't have depth, the kid plays.

Matt Bahr played 7 games last year and will probably not see the field in 2009. Shawn Daniels hasn't even played a down yet to my knowledge. We won't be seeing converted DT's playing the OL anytime again soon. We have 13 O-Linemen, plus another 4 in the incoming class. Depth is there - now.

You will know when we are getting closer to sustainability when the majority of the starters do not start until they are RS Sophmores or Juniors. That will mean that the pipeline is going. O-lineman, expect in rare instances, need the time to mature physically before being able to compete at high levels. It is definitely a man's game, literally, in the trenches.

Evidence that we now have depth at O-Line, for me, is the very high liklihood that Jack Harris will redshirt next year. If we didn't have depth, the kid plays.

Matt Bahr played 7 games last year and will probably not see the field in 2009. Shawn Daniels hasn't even played a down yet to my knowledge. We won't be seeing converted DT's playing the OL anytime again soon. We have 13 O-Linemen, plus another 4 in the incoming class. Depth is there - now.

What an incredible difference from a few years ago. It has such a positive effect - you gotta believe that they're all pushing each other. Projected (or expected) starters are looking over their shoulder and the 2nd and 3rd string guys are doing extra things, everything, to get noticed and to get time to show what they can do. This bodes well for next year, and the years to come.

Depth at tackle is strong. However, I'm not too confident with our interior lineman. Guard and Center are two very big question marks. I think moving Givens to guard kind of solidifies that imo.

Depth at tackle is strong. However, I'm not too confident with our interior lineman. Guard and Center are two very big question marks. I think moving Givens to guard kind of solidifies that imo.
hmmmm assuming the tackles don't change...

Solder MTM Iltis Givens Miller.

The question is more about who are the backups and where? Are there any wildcards (like that C who transferred to us last year?).

Where does Sione go? Does he push Solder?

hmmmm assuming the tackles don't change...

Solder MTM Iltis Givens Miller.

The question is more about who are the backups and where? Are there any wildcards (like that C who transferred to us last year?).

Where does Sione go? Does he push Solder?

Sione is looking like a backup at the moment. He's only a RS Sophomore though. I think he'll be more of a factor in '10 and '11.

I haven't heard nothing about Evan Eastburn. His bcs only offer out of HS was Maryland(I think). But that's about all I know with him.

I would like to see Behrens get a shot at center. I don't think we should be counting him out.

You have tuioti, behrens(sp?), head who all got time at guard last year. If tuioti can stay healthy your set at one spot and you could have givens or head at the other and behrens at center.

the best reason is that we wont run to many bull**** spread formations, which in turn should net us more victories on teams we should handily beat, thus making it easier for the sunshine pumpers to pry their collective twats off the coaching staff's nuts.

You have tuioti, behrens(sp?), head who all got time at guard last year. If tuioti can stay healthy your set at one spot and you could have givens or head at the other and behrens at center.

I have a bad feeling about those two sitting next to each other on the bench.

Mike Iltis could turn some heads in the spring. He was looking to compete at guard last season before his knee injury. I've heard they are looking to plug Iltis at center now.

Mike Iltis could turn some heads in the spring. He was looking to compete at guard last season before his knee injury. I've heard they are looking to plug Iltis at center now.

I'm for whichever Center can consisently get the shotgun snaps back to the QB. Sanders did a very good job with that last year, but we've seen before how a bad snap can kill a play and/or a drive. Kind of like catching in baseball, where skill #1 is defense (and if you can hit a little bit, all the better), I think skill #1 for Centers is getting the ball to the QB. If you are a great blocker too, all the better.

I'm for whichever Center can consisently get the shotgun snaps back to the QB. Sanders did a very good job with that last year, but we've seen before how a bad snap can kill a play and/or a drive. Kind of like catching in baseball, where skill #1 is defense (and if you can hit a little bit, all the better), I think skill #1 for Centers is getting the ball to the QB. If you are a great blocker too, all the better.
This is why I was bitching about Hawk not going after any natural centers for the last 3 years. I know they just brought Simon in, but I think we could've gotten more kids in here. It's very difficult to ask a OL to convert to a C in college. Especially in the middle of their CFB careers like Sanders. He switched his sophomore year right?

This is why I was bitching about Hawk not going after any natural centers for the last 3 years. I know they just brought Simon in, but I think we could've gotten more kids in here. It's very difficult to ask a OL to convert to a C in college. Especially in the middle of their CFB careers like Sanders. He switched his sophomore year right?

I forget when he switched. I thought maybe it was his Junior year. He struggled somewhat with them that year, but did much better last year. I just know how deflating it is to see a good drive developing and then have the center hit the QB in the foot with a snap and watch the drive stall.

Valdez - I can't agree with you on this point. Most kids playing center in HS are never going to play D1 football. The vast majority of guys who play center in college never delivered a snap in HS, at least that's what I've read several times.

On Iltis, I saw him in the Dal Ward center getting ice on his knee along with about 5-6 other non-football athletes a few weeks ago. He's a wide dude, not very tall. I am concerned that all these ACL-injured guys will lose out on significant weight training this year (lower body anyways) and not sure how ready they will be come August. Keeping fingers crossed.

Valdez - I can't agree with you on this point. Most kids playing center in HS are never going to play D1 football. The vast majority of guys who play center in college never delivered a snap in HS, at least that's what I've read several times.

On Iltis, I saw him in the Dal Ward center getting ice on his knee along with about 5-6 other non-football athletes a few weeks ago. He's a wide dude, not very tall. I am concerned that all these ACL-injured guys will lose out on significant weight training this year (lower body anyways) and not sure how ready they will be come August. Keeping fingers crossed.
If you place them in the program at C right away then I'm good with that. But I don't think too many kids switch their soph. and Jr years to C and not have any issues.

In the RMN today, Johnson said something to the effect that he prefers being an O line coach over being a head coach. For whatever that is worth. He also said, being a little older, he feels like he can bring some mentoring ability to the younger coaches.

If coach Kiseau is to be believed, we won't be running too much out of the shotgun next year anyway.

If coach Kiseau is to be believed, we won't be running too much out of the shotgun next year anyway.

Good point. Maybe another reason to like a move to the I-formation!:thumbsup:

That said, if Tyler Hanson wins the starting QB job, I think they will need to run some shotgun because I think you can run effectively from that formation IF, IF, you QB is a running threat, which he is.

In the RMN today, Johnson said something to the effect that he prefers being an O line coach over being a head coach. For whatever that is worth. He also said, being a little older, he feels like he can bring some mentoring ability to the younger coaches.

I like hearing this.

it basically supported my arguments for a simpler i formation offense last year.

thank you.

Our offense in 07 was decent. It showed a different O from week to week. I liked that. I also like the no huddle. I don't think our spread was 100% due to injuries. So scrapping it completely is a mistake imo.

My main point is I don't like seeing us change our offense from year to year. I think Hawkins has really dropped the ball in this aspect. We need some kind of continuity with our offensive approach.

Our offense in 07 was decent. It showed a different O from week to week. I liked that. I also like the no huddle. I don't think our spread was 100% due to injuries. So scrapping it completely is a mistake imo.

My main point is I don't like seeing us change our offense from year to year. I think Hawkins has really dropped the ball in this aspect. We need some kind of continuity with our offensive approach.

While I agree with you, I don't think the spread is the offense that best suits the talent on this team. We have a bunch of big, strong offensive linemen and two (maybe more) excellent tailbacks. You build your scheme around the talent you have, and the talent we have positively screams power football.

While I agree with you, I don't think the spread is the offense that best suits the talent on this team. We have a bunch of big, strong offensive linemen and two (maybe more) excellent tailbacks. You build your scheme around the talent you have, and the talent we have positively screams power football.
We have very big, mobile lineman. Going to a spread did make sense with our roster. Every team knew we were not going to be a passing threat, so if you put the QB in a shotgun and throw out another receiver, this made us a multidimensional offense. If we ran out of the I, everyone and their mother knew what we were going to do.

the best reason is that we wont run to many bull**** spread formations, which in turn should net us more victories on teams we should handily beat, thus making it easier for the sunshine pumpers to pry their collective twats off the coaching staff's nuts.

Wow! That's the rant of the year. :thumbsup: Rep for style, if not content.

Apparently he interviewed the weekend Grimes was announced to be leaving. Hawk must have known for a while that it was coming

Back