What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

5 days until NSD...Breakdown of where we stand....

I appreciate that these things can happen. My point is that the school should bear the burden of that and not a kid who thought he had a schollie coming and did not agree otherwise at the time he committed. I like the Big-10 rule on oversigning. (To be clear to you and zbuff, none of my objections apply if the kid agrees to greyshirt his first year when committing to a school.)

This was published today and I like it:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...es/01/24/oversigning/index.html#ixzz1C6y4Shy0

I hope all of the light being shed on this issue will lead to NCAA regulation of this practice.

No one here is suggesting we sign 39 players like houston nutt did, just that if we go over by two or three players it wont be an issue. Your also getting too hung up on grayshirting. As mtnbuff wrote some players currently on the team wont be here in the fall for various reasons. It also typicall that one or two guys we sign dont end up qualifying academically.

My emphasis on greyshirting is because of a specific suggestion made earlier in this thread. And I really don't have any beef if every kid that was promised a scholarship gets it.

In the end, I don't think any kids will be left without a schollie where one was promised. For one thing, this isn't the SEC where the practice is widespread and accepted. For another, CU isn't 'Bama and JE isn't Saban. If a kid gets screwed here, IMO JE will have a much tougher road in Pac-12 recruiting ahead. Can't afford a bad rep from the start and JE seems way too smart to let that happen.

All will be well and I'm looking forward to seeing CU on the rise in CFB again.

GridironNut: First of all I agree with you on an NCAA rule in line with the Big Ten's, the practice is really unfair to recruits, and I am amazed they do not pay more attention to it. That said, Andy Staple's article you point to also shows a direct correlation to winning (more "SEC stuff"). Oversigning allows a team to horde talent and fix recruiting mistakes. I just want to win, and I don't think CU or the PAC-12 is too good for that. Until the NCAA fixes the rule, I have no problem with CU being a part of it.

Also: there really is not a danger of oversigning this year, so this argument is a bit pointless.

I say he SHOULD accept the scholarship offer he wants AND be able to rely on it. It's only fair if the offer comes with a warning that greyshirting might be part of it. Otherwise, this agreement process you describe is one-sided in favor of the over-offering school.

Actually, under your scenario, and to keep things equal on both sides, the kids should "over-commit". Just quietly commit to 3 or 4 schools and then screw 3 of them in the end just to cover his bases. Same thing, no? How would that work out? If every kid did that, it would be chaos.

:lol: ...and maybe they do over-commit. I'm sure there are some surprised coaches on signing day. :shakehands:

Edit: BTW, my understanding of greyshirting means the kid pays his way that year. So, he isn't really "getting a quality education for free." That cost can be quite a burden for some kids.

I don't think that's how a greyshirt works. My understanding is that the kid simply delays enrollment, staying at home and then usually enrolling, with a scholarship, in the Spring Semester, e.g., Alex Lewis this year. Does that change your opinion at all? It's not costing them any money. I'd guess they do it like they make redshirt decisions, talk to the players, tell them they think they'd benefit from an extra year of development, and then see if they'll do it. I'd guess there are plenty of players receptive to this. They then get the benefit of a spring semester in the football program and a semester of classes before they are thrown right into the football season.

http://www.allbuffs.com/showthread.php/48534-Stoudt-s-Recruitipedia

Grayshirt (GS): Refers to a recruited player who will either be unable or chooses not to enroll in time for the fall semester and will instead enroll in the following semester or year. If voluntary, the reason may be that the college has signed more players for that season than permissible under NCAA rules. The recruit can then count against the following year's allocation. It may also be that the player is young for his age or a bit of a late bloomer and needs the extra time to physically develop. If involuntary, the reason is usually that the player failed to achieve a qualifying test score on the ACT/SAT or qualifying core GPA prior to the fall semester and needed to re-take coursework or achieve a higher test score during the fall semester.

I wonder, say over the last 10 years, how many kids that signed a LOI ended up not qualifying and in some junior college? I'd bet we average 2 a year or so.

WE have 4 Scholarships left, maybe some atrition that we are not aware of .

Lucien, Willingham, Juda Parker, Kyle Washington, Dembot, Creer have offers. Parker, Washington, Creer are likely to commit. Willingham and Lucien will announce on signing day.

I don't think that's how a greyshirt works. My understanding is that the kid simply delays enrollment, staying at home and then usually enrolling, with a scholarship, in the Spring Semester, e.g., Alex Lewis this year. Does that change your opinion at all? It's not costing them any money. I'd guess they do it like they make redshirt decisions, talk to the players, tell them they think they'd benefit from an extra year of development, and then see if they'll do it. I'd guess there are plenty of players receptive to this. They then get the benefit of a spring semester in the football program and a semester of classes before they are thrown right into the football season.

Yeah, you and Buffnik have clarified it for me. Thanks. First, I have no problem with greyshirting--or any other agreement between recruiter and player--as long as the arrangement, risks and consequences are made perfectly clear to the player. I still have a problem greyshirting a kid involuntarily if he has passed up other opportunities. In any case, if a kid is greyshirted, I think the scholarship should be guaranteed for the next year if the kid qualifies academically. Without a guarantee, all the school is doing is taking an option on the kid while he sits a year out of football and passes up other schools. If the school doesn't honor the scholarship, the kid is probably out of football and college for good.

Time to bump this and get it back on track here.

Sitting at 13 commits.
4 past visitors still considered possibilities: Lucien, Parker, Creer, & Willingham. All but Parker have taken additional visits. Creer and Parker thought to be CU leans by some.

5 known visitors this weekend that are not Buff commits, mostly with offers

WR Gaines from Houston, Backup for Lucien or flat out after him? He's a Houston commit
DL Nembot from Cali, got to believe we want him, with or without Parker. He's a UofW commit
Washington and Andrews - two CB recruits, uncommitted, both from the Sonoran Desert. Figure we have one slot here.
Harlos - San Antonio kid, Safety, but admits will move forward with more bulk. Potential DE prospect/project?

As Boulder Buff has pointed out, having them in the last weekend is often not what it would seem. Depends on where the kids are at.

Would be happy to finish with Lucien, Parker, Creer, and Washington (and I think this is actually pretty likely). Willingham would be icing on the cake.

A little surprised we brought in Harlos on an official to be honest.

Harlos' visit is hard to figure. Offers from Arkansas and Wake Forest. Don't know the philosophy yet, but a lot of coaches don't think you can have too many 6'4" athletes who can run and hit.
But a safety, I'm pretty sure he will not be.

I see little chance Gaines becomes a Buff.

I like our odds with Nembot after this weekend. I think we turn him!

Alex is a great example, because he knew from the start he would gray shirt. This wasn't sprung upon him with no notice. Alex (from what I hear ... okay, I don't know him personally) spent a LOT of time in the gym waiting for January so when he arrived, he'd be able to impress. And he arrived in shape, bigger and stronger. I am betting he will be a great example of how gray-shirting CAN work. Because he didn't enroll at CU (right after HS), he still has a red-shirt year (if he needs it, and if we need him to wait), but he had a whole year after high school to bulk up and be prepared.

Harlos' visit is hard to figure. Offers from Arkansas and Wake Forest. Don't know the philosophy yet, but a lot of coaches don't think you can have too many 6'4" athletes who can run and hit.
But a safety, I'm pretty sure he will not be.

I see little chance Gaines becomes a Buff.

I like our odds with Nembot after this weekend. I think we turn him!

If we had gotten Gaines in here earlier, I think we might have been able to flip him, but I think you are right-we have little to no shot now.

I really have no good read on Nembot. I hope you are right.

Time to bump this and get it back on track here.

Sitting at 13 commits.

Woops. Sorry. Back on track. Remind me: who is the 13th?

1. Jermaine Clark ATH
2. Brady Daigh LB
3. Stevie Dorman QB
4. Woodson Greer LB
5. Rashad Hall RB
6. Sherrard Harrington DB
7. Gregory Henderson DB
8. Alex Kelley OL
9. Marc Mustoe OL
10. Will Oliver K
11. Nelson Spruce WR
12. K.T. Tuumalo LB

Because we are not at or near the 25/year limit, Burnette's class is irrelevant. Just pointing this out in case there are others trying to figure this out. CU's only limitation this year is that we are limited to having 85 players on scholarship when the new guys report in the fall. If we are over, we will have to grayshirt a few. A lot can happen between now and then as far as attrition and qualifying.

I believe Embree is putting Burnette and Lewis in the 2011 class.

Doesn't really matter for scholarship numbers. He probably just wants them counted among his guys when we look at things like APR and graduation rate over his tenure since both are solid students.

The only reason it would matter is if he wanted to oversign in 2012, he could put early enrollees into 2011 class to stay under the 25 in 2012. However, he has a lot of room to do that already so unless he saw a ton more attrition, he would have the difference between 25 and the final 2011 class available for early signings in 2012.

I'm calling it 16 right now, with the 14 commits (Welcome Mr. Washington) plus Parker and Creer who are in.

Others we can hope for include:

Willingham
Lucien
Nembot
Martin

Would appear Harlos has a commitable offer. Not sure about Andrews with the commit of Washington.

Back