What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

A Gator, an Auburn Tiger, and a first time in Boulder (Ariz @ CU)

thehakujin

Greetings, mountain folk!

My name is Mike and I'm a Florida Gator transplant living in Dallas, TX. A few years ago, the above-referenced Auburn fellow and I started talking about making an effort to visit a new college football stadium each season. Well, after scouring CFB schedules and flights and stadiums and a whole lot of word-of-mouth, we agreed that Boulder in October sounded terrific. Another Gator is joining us for this one, as well. As much as we love our home stadiums/atmospheres, we generally believe that one of the most exciting things about college football is visiting a place you've never been, and taking in all that is has to offer -- the stadium, the traditions, the campus, the people, the food, the drink, etc. And we also believe that the kinds of fans who visit the message boards are typically just like us -- here for the team, the experience, and a good time!

We'll be staying in Denver to visit some friends (and breweries... and restaurants... and breweries), but are getting up early on Saturday to head into Boulder. I looked through some previous posts in the "Fan Network" forum linked at the top of this page, so I have a decent idea of the layout of campus and where to park. Beyond that, though.... it's all air, opportunity, and a boatload of question marks.

I was hoping perhaps some of you may have some advice and/or recommendations on what we should be sure to see/do/eat/drink while in town. I know every college town usually has that one restaurant or bar that is a 'must' for all who have visited -- the kind of place that graduates young and old remember fondly as a staple of campus life. Most schools have fun one-off traditions all their own related to the game day experience. And every stadium has best, worst, and just plain fine seating sections. So on and so forth...

Though we'll be rooting for CU, we'll also be easy to spot in our opposing shades of orange and blue. In fact, as it happens, Auburn and Florida are meeting down in Gainesville that same day, so we'll of course be hoping for staggered kickoff times. Nonetheless, we hope to represent our schools well, and look forward to potentially meeting and imbibing with a few CU loyalists.

In the meantime, any direction y'all can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Hey, c'mon, the dude isn't going to get that joke. He will think we are assholes. We should at least have the common courtesy of letting him find that out in person.

In all seriousness, thehakujin, you will be welcomed. There is a link in another thread that gives a great primer to Boulder. I'll try to find it.

Meanwhile, **** you.

I want Ralphie to run over albert and alberta then plow over aubie.

GO BUFFS !!

That's a cool thing to be doing. I'll give you a few suggestions:

1) Buy Avery Stampede the night before.

2) Crack that first beer at 5:30 am. After about half a can, it'll go down easy.

3) Get your picture with Ralphie ~ an hour before the game on the south side of the stadium.

4) Move out of Texas.

Our blood is still simmering from the red horde’s visit. You may have to endure some residual hostility.

Boulder, especially game day, is awesome. Enjoy!

Which is kind of the point of the unaffiliated road trip... all of the CFB, none of the piss and vinegar. Besides, UF doesn’t come to Boulder for another decade, I think. Gotta get in to visit before then, just in case some drunk youngster(s) from Gainesville ruin it for the rest of us.

That's a cool thing to be doing. I'll give you a few suggestions:

1) Buy Avery Stampede the night before.

2) Crack that first beer at 5:30 am. After about half a can, it'll go down easy.

3) Get your picture with Ralphie ~ an hour before the game on the south side of the stadium.

4) Move out of Texas.

Right on. Stampede and Ralphie. Good heads up, appreciate it.

Hey, c'mon, the dude isn't going to get that joke. He will think we are assholes. We should at least have the common courtesy of letting him find that out in person.

In all seriousness, thehakujin, you will be welcomed. There is a link in another thread that gives a great primer to Boulder. I'll try to find it.

Meanwhile, **** you.

Oops, I clearly overlooked it... will try to look a little more closely

Here's a tip ... bring enough layers of clothes for all kinds of weather. Depending on kickoff time, the temperature here drops about 10-15 degrees almost instantaneously once the sun dips behind those magnificent rock formations known as the Flatirons. But the view from the east side stands is outstanding!

Here's a tip ... bring enough layers of clothes for all kinds of weather. Depending on kickoff time, the temperature here drops about 10-15 degrees almost instantaneously once the sun dips behind those magnificent rock formations known as the Flatirons. But the view from the east side stands is outstanding!
This is very good advice.

Good thinking. It stays hot here in Dallas even most nights, and sometimes even into that time of year. Likely wouldn’t have thought of it. Thanks.

We’re currently eyeballing tickets on the eastern side of the stadium, so that the mountains will play a role in the view (again, juxtaposed with Dallas...). I haven’t seen a time announced for that game yet, I’m assuming that’s still up in the air?

Just FYI, there really are no "terrible" seats in Folsom. Obviously the closer to the 50, the better. The largest scoreboard is in the north endzone, so if you want to have a real good view of replays, keep that in mind. It is huge though, so shouldn't be a problem.

The worst seats in the stadium are the northern most sections on the west sideline. If you sit there you will basically be staring at the side of a building unless you turn 45 degrees to your right.

Good thinking. It stays hot here in Dallas even most nights, and sometimes even into that time of year. Likely wouldn’t have thought of it. Thanks.

We’re currently eyeballing tickets on the eastern side of the stadium, so that the mountains will play a role in the view (again, juxtaposed with Dallas...). I haven’t seen a time announced for that game yet, I’m assuming that’s still up in the air?
Kick won't be announced until 2 weeks prior in all likelihood. I suppose if CU stomps AFA and UofA show out in Lubbock it could be picked up early by one of the big networks, but that is unlikely.

Given the headline of this thread ... I was waiting for the joke. So what's the punchline? :giggle:

Check out a map of the campus. Arrive at least a couple hours early and head for Farrand field. In the middle of the north side of the field is a band shell, to the east of that band shell are some steps heading out onto Baker street.

Find a tailgate there with an albuffs flag flying and come by. The guy who runs it will probably be glad to give you all the IPAs you can drink and you can meet a bunch of degenerates waiting for the game.

It is actually a great location to get a feel for the campus tailgating scene and get into the game mood. The band marches by and from there it is a short walk to the stadium.

A group of Tennessee fans did a similar exploratory visit to Folsom last year.

The guy asked for face value on extra tickets and was refused for insisting on wearing his Vol orange colored team gear. This was after drinking free beer and tucking in to the food at our tail gate.

Then after the game his write-up was meh.

Based on the Vol, IMO if you insist on sporting anything other than Black and Gold, I honestly don’t want you in my section.

But you are still welcome to a beer.

Hope you enjoy the trip.

My pro tip on a Boulder visit ... book a fly fishing trip to pair with the game. Nothing says you are not in Texas anymore better than standing in a clear fast moving mountain stream in a battle of wits with rainbow trout.

Last edited by a moderator:
There’s a good Denver restaurants thread somewhere on here, I recommend perusing that, as it depends on what kinda “scene” you’re looking for. In Denver Larimer Square is a hot pedestrian area lotta good haunts, obviously Pearl Street mall and “The Hill” (collegetown area with sandwich places/bars/coffee shop just off campus) is a must-do in Boulder. Dude do me a favor and get a hot pastrami sandwich at Salvaggio’s on the hill if it’s still there - I still fantasize about that ****.

CU Environmental Center Director Dave Newport is also a Gator. Shoot him an email and tell him that you're coming and that you're keen to try the stadium's new aluminum cups (and maybe that since you're a slow learner you may need to try them 4 or 5 times).

If you are not staying in Boulder, time is crucial. First thing just before you get into town in the morning, go to Chautauqua Park off of Baseline, park, and just admire the view of the Flatirons. It only takes 10 minutes and is really what makes Boulder quite unique. If you want to invest 15 more minutes, keep driving up Baseline into the mountains for like 3 miles and pull off the road at a well-marked observation area for a panoramic view of the campus, town, and entire region, where the Rockies meet the Great Plains. Worth your time. Then make the short drive into town for whatever else everyone suggests. You will not regret this short, easy, and spectacular detour.

Last edited:
If you are not staying in Boulder, time is crucial. First thing when you get into town in the morning, go to Chautauqua Park off of Baseline, park, and just admire the view of the Flatirons. It only takes 10 minutes and is really what makes Boulder quite unique. If you want to invest 15 more minutes, keep driving up Baseline into the mountains for like 3 miles and pull off the road at a well-marked observation area for a panoramic view of the the campus, town, and entire region, where the Rockies meet the Great Plains. Worth your time. Then make the short drive into town for whatever else everyone suggests. You will not regret this short, easy, and spectacular detour.

FWIW, it's called "Panorama Point", and, if you drive a little further, the Lost Gulch Overlook will give you a peak toward the rockies. Rocky Mountain National Park is a relatively easily trip from Boulder.

If you are not staying in Boulder, time is crucial. First thing just before you get into town in the morning, go to Chautauqua Park off of Baseline, park, and just admire the view of the Flatirons. It only takes 10 minutes and is really what makes Boulder quite unique. If you want to invest 15 more minutes, keep driving up Baseline into the mountains for like 3 miles and pull off the road at a well-marked observation area for a panoramic view of the campus, town, and entire region, where the Rockies meet the Great Plains. Worth your time. Then make the short drive into town for whatever else everyone suggests. You will not regret this short, easy, and spectacular detour.

Right on, man. We hope to be up and at 'em early enough on Saturday to make every moment of the Boulder visit count. Have heard tremendous things about the town and campus, so we're pretty excited to be heading that way. Thanks for this recommendation!

CU Environmental Center Director Dave Newport is also a Gator. Shoot him an email and tell him that you're coming and that you're keen to try the stadium's new aluminum cups (and maybe that since you're a slow learner you may need to try them 4 or 5 times).

No kidding? I'll have to look into that, thank you

Check out a map of the campus. Arrive at least a couple hours early and head for Farrand field. In the middle of the north side of the field is a band shell, to the east of that band shell are some steps heading out onto Baker street.

Find a tailgate there with an albuffs flag flying and come by. The guy who runs it will probably be glad to give you all the IPAs you can drink and you can meet a bunch of degenerates waiting for the game.

It is actually a great location to get a feel for the campus tailgating scene and get into the game mood. The band marches by and from there it is a short walk to the stadium.

Ha, thanks, we will mostly do just that. We're not the clownish Vol characters referenced in a previous post (though forsaking our team colors on game day strikes me as odd) so we'll certainly be bringing our own tickets and beer, and are happy to contribute financially (or otherwise) to tailgates if such a thing is an option (which we've seen/done before). As much as we look forward to the stadium, the town, the atmosphere, all of that, we look forward to meeting some CU fans and shooting the breeze. Thanks for the info/rec/invite, looking forward to Boulder/Folsom.

Last edited:
A big part of coming here is getting outside of town and exploring a bit. Take a hike up the flatirons in the am to work up a hunger. Better yet split a sandwich baggie of mushrooms between 3, certainly not more than 4 of you and take a walk into the foothills above the end of pearl st Friday night. The lights will be amazing

Back