What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

a little blasphemy, probably...

I didn't see the game, and from all accounts, it's prolly good I didn't. A couple of points to consider:

First, the offensive scheme is new (this year). It takes some time to get everything down. Anyone remember a couple of years ago when the Buffs shut out Okie lite in Stillwater? They were in their first year of the spread-O, and after the game, Gundy was asked if he was planning on scrapping the scheme. He said that even tho the temptation was huge that they would stick with it. Look at 'em now - putting up lot's of points. But it took a while.

That leads to the second point - the qb must be a threat to run. He doesn't have to be VY or PWhite, he just has to be able gain some positive yardage. Even a 4 or 5 yard gain by the qb will make the back side DE or LB stay at home. Since it seems like the Buffs will stay with this scheme then Cody needs to run the fake dive and keep it a few times a game - they must make the defense account for that play.

And finally - no matter how ya look at it, we have 3 new starters on the OL (4 yesterday since Head was suspended). I figured they would have some growing pains, and maybe everybody was lulled to sleep since they did okay against the lammies.

All told, this is gonna be an up and down year, but 7 wins is still very doable.

And I'll be cheering every step of the way.......

i think the primary reason that this offense isn't working as drawn up is qb.

i would prefer a different offensive philosophy that actually emphasizes the run game, but let's look at what they are doing as opposed to what i wish they woud do.

the staff is basically attempting to run an urban meyer style spread offense. that is the fad of the day right now in college fb. i am not talking about the texas tech version, because it is seriously flawed.

i am talking about the florida, utah, michigan with rodriguez version.

the key to this version of the spread is you need a qb who can run. period, end of story. if you don't have a qb who can beat you with his feet, then you can't freeze the defense and all those backs and wideouts running horizontally in the backfield won't scare anyone. you can't create a mismatch if the defense doesn't have to spy the qb.

cody has heart and guts and brains. what he lacks, still, is the athleticism to run this offense at its highest level. he's gotten bigger and all that, but he just doesn't have the feet to cause the defense to worry about him taking off.

i will also note here for the historically-minded Buffs that one of the primary reasons that the one back offense worked for CU in 94 so well was that kordell was a great runner.

if they are going to insist on this offense, then they better go get a guy who can run it the way urban meyer designed it.

just a thought, no offense intended.

just thought i would bump this, since i was told how screwed i was when i first posted it.

you may post your abject apologies now. :smile2:

just thought i would bump this, since i was told how screwed i was when i first posted it.

you may post your abject apologies now. :smile2:

Attention whore.

Hansen has wheels. His initial scoring drive was memorable. But how much of the true freshman's success was the fact K-State didn't see this change coming?

Even with the change, the question remains as to whether CU's offense can consistently score more than 14 points per game.

The most satisfying aspect of seeing Hansen is that Coach Hawkins is not subborn, and found a way to win with the hand he is dealt.

What happened to last years offense? Setting up, shifting tight ends, end arounds (which we brought back a couple times today). I know the spread is the new thing in football, but just because everyone else does it?

Attention whore.

Hansen has wheels. His initial scoring drive was memorable. But how much of the true freshman's success was the fact K-State didn't see this change coming?

Even with the change, the question remains as to whether CU's offense can consistently score more than 14 points per game.

The most satisfying aspect of seeing Hansen is that Coach Hawkins is not subborn, and found a way to win with the hand he is dealt.

1. yes, Liver is an attention whore. thanks for stating the obvious.

2. He was the scout team QB until this week, so he was getting more reps playing the oppositions offense than his own, and will grow quickly with regards to our playbook and meshing with the first string players as he pracices with them more. And KSU had a shock, but regardless, that is the QB this system needs to run it properly. As soon as Cody came in, they stacked the box again.

3. O will score more as Hansen gets more reps IMO. he just opens up the offense, and the OL is getting more reps with each other, which will make the QB position stronger.

4. yes yes yes. I didn't think Hawk would do it, but he did. I am very pleased that he burned the redshirt, even if he continues to play both QBs. I feel bad for Matt, as this can't be good for him. I am happy that Wynn and Clark now have a two year gap between them and Hansen. Plus this shows recruits that the best player will play that helps the team win. Even if it is the coaches son. that HAS to say alot to the recruits.

Attention whore.

:lol: me? attention ho? naaaaaaaaaaaaw. :smile2:

yeah, we will have to see how quickly they can open up the playbook for hansen. cody did a good job in relief in the 4th to preserve the win, too.

Back