What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Adding to the discussion - 5 star recruits

You don't hear about too many linebackers going to the line. That would be what we would call "eating your way to a 3-point stance!" Generally, what you see is D-lineman going over to offense. When I was playing we pulled and trapped quite a bit from both guard and tackle. I lettered as a 5 technique tackle in a 3-4 as a redshirt freshman at CU and then made the transition to O-line where I started at LT one year and Left Guard the next. My first year on the O-line I backed up all of the positions except for Center. The spring during the transition was very very difficult from a pass blocking perspective but my athleticism allowed me to muddle through until the techniques became more instinctual. That said, I always felt that I would have been much much better overall if I had started out on O and kept with it all 4 years. No complaints here though. I think you take your best athletes and try to make sure they are on the field.

Husband was an all-state linebacker/fullback in HS and during his first year at Western Washington U. Broken foot after his walk-on year at CU allowed him to "eat his way into a 3-point stance" (love this quote, BTW--an explanation for why he can't seem to drop those pesky extra pounds now?) where he played for the rest of his years at CU and 11 in the NFL. Doesn't happen often, but I think being an athletic Linebacker actually really helps a guy that has the frame to add pounds. I feel like his footwork and speed played a huge part in the longevity of his football career. Agree that it always helps to stay at one position, but a truly athletic player can be used so many different ways by a coach, which only makes them more valuable to the team. Bottom line, stars really only matter before you get to the next level. After that, it's what you do with what the good lord gave you that means the most!

Husband was an all-state linebacker/fullback in HS and during his first year at Western Washington U. Broken foot after his walk-on year at CU allowed him to "eat his way into a 3-point stance" (love this quote, BTW--an explanation for why he can't seem to drop those pesky extra pounds now?) where he played for the rest of his years at CU and 11 in the NFL. Doesn't happen often, but I think being an athletic Linebacker actually really helps a guy that has the frame to add pounds. I feel like his footwork and speed played a huge part in the longevity of his football career. Agree that it always helps to stay at one position, but a truly athletic player can be used so many different ways by a coach, which only makes them more valuable to the team. Bottom line, stars really only matter before you get to the next level. After that, it's what you do with what the good lord gave you that means the most!

Well said! But you know you are wrong for the pesky pounds! :lol::lol::lol:

Back