What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Alfred Williams...

I don't blame Cody 1 bit for his comments. If the amount of local over reaction to this game resembles what has been thrown around on the board the last few days, then I would have to agree.

Of all the cities I ever lived in Denver was by far the worse for finding a percentage of the fan base that had no real concept of sports in general.

Hawkins took over a program that was at rock bottom. ROCK FING BOTTOM! people. He is clearly struggling with is on field performance right now and he has to get it corrected.

But do NOT DISCREDIT what he has done for CU football the last 3 years. The class of players he has brought into this program is a huge step in the right direction. He has run a clean program, which is something we have NOT had around here in a very very very long time. He has improved our depth and talent on this team this team has taken strides every year.

The game on Sunday was a huge disappointment. I get it. I am as unhappy about is as anyone. But lets just see what happens over the next few weeks before start telling players they should transfer and calling people a-holes of a father (I know another thread). Hawkins is a class act and he deserves a chance to continue on what he has started here.

The reaction I am reading about fire him, he can't coach, blah, blah, blah, is all rather disgusting. We are all fans of this team and we all want to see this team succeed. We all feel like crap when we lose to a team we feel like we should beat. It haunts all of us for days after the game. But step back for a minute people and quite focusing on the negative. Hawk has done some very good things for our program, now lets give him time to make the next step. He deserves more than 1 game into a season.

I'm curious... what, in the last 4 years makes you think that hawkins continues to deserve the benefit of the doubt? You can't objectively look at the job he's been doing and think a light bulb is going to go off tomorrow and things are going to change.

Is it his 13-25 record?
-This alone can be explained away by injuries, or Barnett leaving the cupboard bare.

His two road wins (one of which came against Baylor)?
-There is no good reason for this one.

Is it his ability to out scheme opponents?
-This hasn't happened.

Is it his ability to really get the team prepared to play?
-Aside from the game against OU, Hawkins teams consistently play down to the level of their opponent.

Is it the fact that he plays the most talented players?
-Nope, not this again. Honestly, if DS and RS aren't able to passblock after a full year in the system, the coaches aren't doing their job. No excuse for giving DS only one carry. No excuse for playing Espinoza over Simmons. Even Simmons, with no knowledge of the playbook offers a better option than Espy, and I'm sure Espy is a great kid, but he's small and slow.

Is it because the coaching staff is on the same page?
-Nope, Hagan is already publickly contradicting Hawkins's statements?
-3 full years of mediocre teams and he hasn't fired one assistant coach. At a minimum Bandison needed to be replaced this year after last years D-Line woefully underperformed.

Does Hawkins put his players in a position to win?
-No, Hawkins runs his offense and expects his players to conform. When it's 4th and 1 and your tackles have been getting blown up the whole game, you don't run wide with a slower back!

The fact is, week in and week out, for 38 games now, his teams are unprepared, and poorly lead. The coaching staff fails to adjust to anything.

It's not one game, it's a body of work... Hawkins fails across the board.

I'd really like to know what you see that makes you think this 38 game track record is an aberration and that a light bulb is going to turn on and the team is going to 'get it'. I really would, I'm not saying it to be an ass. When I look at things I see a failure across the board by this staff to coach these players and put them in positions to succeed. I just don't see it.

When a team doesn't play up to it's talent level it's the coaches. I'm not saying this is a great team, but they're more talented than CSU, arguably, on paper. In the same vein, if the kids aren't panning out talent wise, it's also on the coaches. The coaching staff is out of excuses.

Last edited:
At what point does the powers in the current program, and those who support its current direction, begin to take responsibility for what's happening on the field now?

I understand Hawkins inherited a troubled program. But at what point is that era over and at what point is Hawkins responsible for losing to CSU -- the WAY in which CU lost -- in 2009?

Surely you don't really believe the reason Colorado get slapped in their own house by an undermatched CSU team is Barnett's fault, do you?

I'm curious... what, in the last 4 years makes you think that hawkins continues to deserve the benefit of the doubt? You can't objectively look at the job he's been doing and think a light bulb is going to go off tomorrow and things are going to change.

Is it his 13-25 record?
-This alone can be explained away by injuries, or Barnett leaving the cupboard bare.

-This hasn't happened.

-Aside from the game against OU, Hawkins teams consistently play down to the level of their opponent.

-Nope, not this again. Honestly, if DS and RS aren't able to passblock after a full year in the system, the coaches aren't doing their job. No excuse for giving DS only one carry. No excuse for playing Espinoza over Simmons. Even Simmons, with no knowledge of the playbook offers a better option than Espy, and I'm sure Espy is a great kid, but he's small and slow.

-3 full years of mediocre teams and he hasn't fired one assistant coach. At a minimum Bandison needed to be replaced this year after last years D-Line woefully underperformed.

-No, Hawkins runs his offense and expects his players to conform. When it's 4th and 1 and your tackles have been getting blown up the whole game, you don't run wide with a slower back!

The fact is, week in and week out, for 38 games now, his teams are unprepared, and poorly lead. The coaching staff fails to adjust to anything.

I'd really like to know what you see that makes you think this 38 game track record is an aberration and that a light bulb is going to turn on and the team is going to 'get it'. I really would, I'm not saying it to be an ass. When I look at things I see a failure across the board by this staff to coach these players and put them in positions to succeed. I just don't see it.

When a team doesn't play up to it's talent level it's the coaches. I'm not saying this is a great team, but they're more talented than CSU, arguably, on paper. In the same vein, if the kids aren't panning out talent wise, it's also on the coaches. The coaching staff is out of excuses.

:yeahthat:

Honestly and objectively, there are reasons for him to be losing. But there sure as hell aren't reasons for him to be losing to the likes of CSU.

And there you have it. And like has been pointed out, our players weren't fired up for this and some players have even admitted that they underestimated csewe, and how you underestimate an in-state rival that you know comes into this game with a chip on their shoulder is beyond me.

And I don't think Alfred was out of line with those comments. Tell us why the top RB recruit from 2 years only got 1 carry. If he was banged up then why was he returning kicks all night long? Is he not ready? Has he had off-field problems and is being punished? Was he just not that good? What???

Couldn't disagree more. You are projecting a vocal minority on all the fans, and this outrage happens with every team. Look at Michigan or FSU right now, or go back and look at the articles in Nebraska or Notre Dame in recent years. Our average fan lives life not Obsessed with CU football, they enjoy their team and prefer a winning program. They do not live and die on the teams wins and losses. If your judgment is based solely on fanaticism, then you are right, we are not the children of the Corn.

If you want to call Denver’s media and coverage the worst in the nation, I can’t argue there.

Not trying to project on all the fans. that was my intent behind saying percentage. But during my two stints in Denver it always seemed to be feast or famine with larger portion of the fans, that in other places I have lived. Losses were never handled well. It seemed as if people never expected a team to have a bad game. The expectation at the beginning of the years was to go undefeated and the first loss would send people over the edge.

My intent is not to project. Just my experience.

I don't blame Cody 1 bit for his comments. If the amount of local over reaction to this game resembles what has been thrown around on the board the last few days, then I would have to agree.

Of all the cities I ever lived in Denver was by far the worse for finding a percentage of the fan base that had no real concept of sports in general.

Hawkins took over a program that was at rock bottom. ROCK FING BOTTOM! people. He is clearly struggling with is on field performance right now and he has to get it corrected.

But do NOT DISCREDIT what he has done for CU football the last 3 years. The class of players he has brought into this program is a huge step in the right direction. He has run a clean program, which is something we have NOT had around here in a very very very long time. He has improved our depth and talent on this team this team has taken strides every year.

The game on Sunday was a huge disappointment. I get it. I am as unhappy about is as anyone. But lets just see what happens over the next few weeks before start telling players they should transfer and calling people a-holes of a father (I know another thread). Hawkins is a class act and he deserves a chance to continue on what he has started here.

The reaction I am reading about fire him, he can't coach, blah, blah, blah, is all rather disgusting. We are all fans of this team and we all want to see this team succeed. We all feel like crap when we lose to a team we feel like we should beat. It haunts all of us for days after the game. But step back for a minute people and quite focusing on the negative. Hawk has done some very good things for our program, now lets give him time to make the next step. He deserves more than 1 game into a season.

I agree he has brought in good kids, cleaned up the image, etc.

But the product on the field is still not good, and I'm sorry, but after 3 seasons of watching the game plans this staff put together, I simply can't make myself believe that they are somehow going to start putting a team on the field that's in a position to win week in week out. I don't know if he can't or if he won't, but he's had long enough to show that he at least knows how to manage a game and design an offense that has some hope of working.

Come on now, how much longer do we have to hear about building the program. It's been FOUR YEARS. What is there like a select few that aren't "hawks" players? These are all his players and his coaches and his schemes.

I demand to see domination of Toledo and then continued domination of Wyoming followed by a solid effort against West Virginia.

Is it his 13-25 record?

-This hasn't happened.

Is it his 13-25 record?
I look at the record a little differently. the first season is a throw away, I think we all agree on that. And there were some bright spots, like the Georgia game going to the wire.

If you look at the last 2 seasons he is a .500 coach with 2 very inexperience teams that are being rebuilt from scratch. Yes there have been some real crappy loses in that time frame. But there has also been some very good games and wins. OU is only a small part of that. There is a win over NU in his second year, and last year we played very well against them at home. Lincoln is never an easy place to win, and this team had a chance in the end. So for every bad move there has been a good move the last 2 years.

His two road wins
- This was 1 of the things I wanted to see improvement on this season, but of course I have to wait for the season to end before I can comment.

I disagree. I look no further than his win against TTU 2007. He had a great game plan in place. His game day coaching is more suspect to me than this game planning.

At times yes, But how about WVU, NU, TTU, CSU last year? Shut out against Miami-Ohio? These are great example of games we came to play and played well.

I don't make player evaluations. I don't see them every day in practice and I am not about to pretend that I think I know more about who is ready for what role. I agree I am concerned the DS is not seeing more playing time. But if his blitz pick-ups are anything like they were last year, I can see why he might have been on the sideline when we are passing the ball 40 times. Don't take this as a knock on the kid. I am just saying I don't see what happens in practice so why pretend like I do.

Agreed I see room for improvement. But in today's world people seem to pick up on every little tidbit and turn it into a mountain. I don't see the Hagan comment as being that big a deal.

This offense has changed considerable since his first year. Heck last year he even brought in Hansen in an attempt to shake things up. Saying he forces a system is not accurate in my book. He has been very good and trying to fit a system to his players talent, where he can. But heck you have to some sense of an offensive philosophy. I would say his biggest issue again has been making on the fly adjustments during the game.

The fact is, week in and week out, for 38 games now, his teams are unprepared, and poorly lead.

It's not week in and week out. The problem is for every bright spot we have just as many dark spots.

I'm not saying this is a great team, but they're more talented than CSU, arguably, on paper.
Talent doesn't always overcome experience, and CSU had a a clear edge in experience at almost every position. Still you are correct. CU should have won this game, and the poor performance in the first half is on Hawkins. But I also saw us make adjustments at half time in this game, that were successful on both D and O. This is not something I saw from this staff in the past.

You asked. I answered.

Hawkins took over a program that was at rock bottom. ROCK FING BOTTOM! people.

I agree with this comment 110%. Unfortunately for Hawkins, he took over that program FOUR YEARS AGO.

He is clearly struggling with is on field performance right now and he has to get it corrected.

The question is -- how long does he have to get it corrected? Four years? Five years? Six years? Ten years? At some point in time, especially if this turns in ANOTHER losing season, you have to stop and say -- is this team really moving where we want it to go?

No one is disputing this. Hawkins has certainly improved many things about the football team. Now the question is -- can he take the next step??

Bagging on Hawkins' parenting skills is way out of line.

I think most people I have seen are saying -- IF Darrell Scott continues to be used in the manner he has been used so far in his career - then he should transfer. Absolutely. If he thinks he is a starting RB for a big time program and going to carry the ball 25+ times a game - he definitely needs to transfer if things continue the way they did against CSU.

I would really just like to SEE what could happen if Scott got 25 carries in a game. If he gains 25 yards, we know he probably doesn't have it. Overhyped, etc. But the kid never so much as gets a chance. Hell no CU running back gets a chance.

If the 2009 season continues as the CSU game did -- then yes, he needs to be fired.

IF (and I do not agree with this statement) CSU truly has more talent than CU, then whose fault is that?

Hawkins has 4 recruited classes in here. If there are shortcomings at any position they are his fault.

So the talent excuse is simply a bunch of garbage. There are two possibilities here with respect to that:

1) Hawkins had a significantly more talented team than CSU but managed to lose to them. This is a problem.

2) Hawkins has not recruited well and CSU is actually more talented than CU. This is an even bigger problem.

Take your pick. It doesn't really matter. Neither are acceptable. In fact, option 1 is pathetic and option 2 would be deplorably pathetic. Personally, I think it is primarily because he doesn't know what he is doing as a coach, and partially because he has not bothered to recruit certain positions (hello, QB, DL, WR). If after 4 years of being the HC here and you are still running out guys who don't belong at those important positions, you are doing it wrong.

We say the DL and WRs are young. Why? What the hell was he doing with his first 3 recruiting classes if he didn't bother to pick up any players that can contribute here?

If we have youth issues at so many positions across the field that is the coaches fault.

This is year 4. Excuse time is over.

Hawkins is never going to have a higher rated recruiting class than he did with the 2008 class. If that isn't enough talent to see some improvement on the field then we aren't going to see improvement on the field.

This guy is overrated as a recruiter and he sure as hell has no idea what the **** he is doing on game day or in the drawing room.

I am willing to bet that I have listened to Scott and Al's show more than anyone on here. Over the past few years I have not heard him ever say a bad thing about Hawkins. The guy loves CU about as much as he loves his kids. In fact, if it werent for his kids, he would probably be up there in some capacity.

I don't always like what he says, but he is usually spot on with his views even if he thinks the real name of "The Hey Song" is called "Jock Jams".

I am glad he is helping raise the temp of Hawks seat!

Denver is a sports city. All major sports cities have high expectations for their teams and the sky is always falling when they lose. Listen to sports radio in Chicago or Philadelphia after one of their teams loses.

Cody's comments are garbage. Fans heard a bunch of crap about 10 wins, no excuses in the offseason and then the team came out and flat and got whipped. Even worse, team leaders admitted that they overlooked CSU. That is unforgivable since, you know, CU is not a returning national champion they were 5-7 and should have been chomping at the bit to start the new season on a better note. Yet, they overlooked CSU?

The fact of the matter is that Hawkins brought the antipathy directed toward him on himself. And you can harp about the quality of players brought in all you like but it's not showing up on the field. The QB position is obviously garbage there isn't much at WR, the O-line gets whipped by the Mountain West, the D-Line can't get pressure, and the secondary gets torched. Where was the treasure trove of talent Hawkins has supposedly brought in?

And the most highly rated player that the Hawkins era has brought in rides the pine for the majority of the game. If you were a highly rated recruit why would you come to CU under Hawkins? So you can watch people less talented then you play? Then Hawkins has the temerity to say Scott wasn't getting carries because he was knicked (but apparently healthy enough to return kicks) after his RB coach said that it was the game plan that kept Scott out.

Hawkins cluelessness could drive his best recruit right out of the program.

"I was warm. I was hyped. I was ready," Scott said. Apparently, Scott and running backs coach Darian Hagan talked over things the next day. "After meetings (Monday) it was like, ‘We’re going to try to work you in,’’’ Scott said. "That kind of reassured me on everything. We’ll see on Friday. "(Getting carries) is what I was recruited for. We’ll see."

The Kid doesn't seem too thrilled with his treatment by the Hawkins regime.

The problem is that Hawkins and no his son are all talk and no delivery. I, and I think a lot of other people are tired of hearing about how great practices are, or how gifted guys are looking, Hawkins is paid to win football games and it is about time he starts doing it. If he can't win football games in the Big 12 then CU needs to get rid of him and find someone who can. Because ultimately, wins are the bottom line.

In my humble opinion, the Hawkins family needs to stop talking and start winning.

How long will this folly continue? Lord, we need some good news. We need a new savior to come to CU and lead to the promised land. Bohn needs to fess up that he hitched his trailer to the wrong wagon.

That was very well laid out and I respect you for that but I have to disagree to some extent. Part of the reason Hawk is in the position he is in right now is that he has recruited players who have not been able to hack it academically and/or have not been able to keep themselves out of trouble.

Hawk has made his own bed by setting high expectations. I believe that is the right thing to do. 10 wins? It's D1 football! At some point, however, he has to live up to the expectations that he has set for himself.

It is a young team. Who's fault is that? Fourth year. Shouldn't there be a core of Jr's or RS So if not a Sr or two ready to lead this team? I get that the program was at rock bottom. I'm not asking them to walk out and beat up on Texas or OU. I am expecting them to come out and be competitive from the first moment against CSU.

I am not saying fire Hawk but I also do not accept you or Woelk telling me that it is "only one game". This is the same one game I've seen the last three years. It is the rule and not the exception. The outstanding performances against OU two years ago and Nebraska last year are the exception not the rule. It is not one game.

My prediction for the rest of the year is that the team will struggle offensively and have an anemic running game. The defense will not be able to get pressure on the opposing QB and will be prone to getting burned for big plays. This is my prediction until the coaching staff and players prove me wrong.

Is it his 13-25 record?
I look at the record a little differently. the first season is a throw away, I think we all agree on that. And there were some bright spots, like the Georgia game going to the wire.

I disagree. I look no further than his win against TTU 2007. He had a great game plan in place. His game day coaching is more suspect to me than this game planning.

These particular comments stood out to me.

1. I think the constant clamoring that we played Georgia tough a couple of years ago gives us insight into the mentality that has been fostered recently. Instead of being happy that we lost a close game we should be peeved that we lost a close game. By the way that was Stafford's first game as a college player and he struggled which made the game close. Losing is losing - don't sugar coat it.

2. The TT victory was a good victory but I never thought it was because of a great game plan. Two seniors stepped up and made some great plays - Dizon and Wheatley...those guys literally put the team on their back to get a win. CU needs that type of senior leadership now.

These particular comments stood out to me.

1. I think the constant clamoring that we played Georgia tough a couple of years ago gives us insight into the mentality that has been fostered recently. Instead of being happy that we lost a close game we should be peeved that we lost a close game. .

Bingo... The way everyone acted after the Nebraska loss last year "oh we played hard" was complete :bs:
I don't care how far the FG was that the NEB made, it never should have gotten to that point.

Our offense basically ran up the center's butt the whole 4th quarter but hey we played hard.. :rolleyes:

Games like that when you got a damn bowl game on the line are the ones that hurt..

F Hellaf$$k.

Back