What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

All-in-one assistant coach suggestions for CU

How many 2018 assistants will Mel Tucker retain?

• 9 or 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
Not a "wow" hire, but to put it in perspective, he's, by far, the most qualified, proven, and competent OC hire of this decade, and maybe since Barnett was running the program. This is a meat and potatoes hire.

I agree with this-not the flash that some of the other names we've discussed would have been, but very, very solid. Looking forward to seeing what he does with the offense. I don't love keeping Hagan on staff-but that might be as much about keeping Mangham (who from everything I've heard will definitely be in the rotation next year and may win the RB job outright) in the fold as much as anything.

I agree with this-not the flash that some of the other names we've discussed would have been, but very, very solid. Looking forward to seeing what he does with the offense. I don't love keeping Hagan on staff-but that might be as much about keeping Mangham (who from everything I've heard will definitely be in the rotation next year and may win the RB job outright) in the fold as much as anything.

I’m no expert. But I don’t think Tucker is evaluating his assistants based on the fact it might keep a recruit. Him and Hagan had a sit down and I’m sure they felt they were on the same page and decided to move forward. I don’t get the Hagan hate to be honest but to each their own. Lindsay and mcmillian both did well here and we’ve had a pretty bad OL for years.

I’m no expert. But I don’t think Tucker is evaluating his assistants based on the fact it might keep a recruit. Him and Hagan had a sit down and I’m sure they felt they were on the same page and decided to move forward. I don’t get the Hagan hate to be honest but to each their own. Lindsay and mcmillian both did well here and we’ve had a pretty bad OL for years.
Recruiting. Recruiting. Recruiting. Burying guys who can help the team with the ball in their hands but aren't good at blocking.

I'm not hating on Hagan-I'm fine with him still being here tbh. My list of assistants who HAD to stay consisted of pretty much Chev and that was it.

I like the hire because the most important thing we need in an offensive coordinator is someone with experience and someone that has success as an offensive coordinator. Recruiting is secondary because we need someone competent over a great recruiter, but that being said even though he is not top recruiter he has been part of the Kirby Smart recruiting machine. So he knows what goes into building that recruiting base and he has an idea of what Tucker wants to build.

That pretty much requires our TE coach and OLB coach to be Poly guys then. If they aren't we are going to run into the same issues we had under Mac.

On defense, those are the 2 coaches our young talent really responded to.

Els is a good recruiter (not great).

Drake is completely TBD on the recruiting trail but is young, passionate and energetic so I think he can be mentored. Also, has those ties to Louisiana that Tucker wants.

Honestly, neither one was a coach I was all that set on either way but I'd also say that they would not have been coaches I'd have been lobbying to replace if MacIntyre had been retained another year. Both did a good job with their units this season (ILB & DL).

Drake has the potential, but is definitely unproven.
Drake will be a good to great recruiter. He is from the south, has passion for the game, and now will have Tucker's contacts and ins to go after. Probably why he was kept on staff. Plus Tucker mentioned that he wanted to recruit Louisiana and Drake fits that spot. He will probably be given all of the SE plus parts of Texas (Houston).

That pretty much requires our TE coach and OLB coach to be Poly guys then. If they aren't we are going to run into the same issues we had under Mac.
Have the OL or DB coaches been named?
Chris Naoele could help with Poly guys.
Frank Maile at DC could help too.

Have the OL or DB coaches been named?
Chris Naoele could help with Poly guys.
Frank Maile at DC could help too.
I don't think there are too many Poly DB coaches so I would think OLB is the only option on defense now. We could get a o line coach but I just haven't seen anything mentioned yet.

Back