What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

All-in-one assistant coach suggestions for CU

How many 2018 assistants will Mel Tucker retain?

• 9 or 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
HOLD ON! This whole time we are thinking that position coaches will wait until after ESD to move and that's why we haven't filled our 4 positions... and now this??!! I don't get it, what's going on? This is going to screw with our ESD DL recruits! Ugh, so disappointed.

I’ve calmed down the last two days about our assistant coaches. I think a lot of movement is going to happen after ESD next week. I couldn’t find the article, but I remember reading something a year ago about how unfair it was to recruits that signed on ESD then all of a sudden there was a big movement of assistant coaches. Essentially they were finishing up the recruiting class and then moving on to other programs. I think we see some similar movement next week through the new year.
Welp. I guess this shoots down my dumbass theory.

I don't get the Drake love. Being better than Jim Jeffcoat and getting the 2018 CU DL to play better than 2017 are two of the lowest standards imaginable.
-Players got better playing for him.
-He brought fire to a position that needed it.
-Players liked playing for him.
-Recruits wanted to play for him.
-He looks to have a huge upward trajectory.
Les may be a lot of things, but he's not dumb and he knows coaches. We lost a good one. If we don't replace him with a substantially better option, we've made a big mistake.

Les may be a lot of things, but he's not dumb and he knows coaches. We lost a good one. If we don't replace him with a substantially better option, we've made a big mistake.
Our mistake? What if Drake wanted to go? His choice.

Drake is a really good young coach, and I will really miss him, and it is not good optics that he is moving on this week!!! But, he is not a top flight guy yet, and thus if the theory of the higher level assistants being able to potentially move after ESD, then we have to assume that an upgrade will occur after the signing days.

My problem right now is messaging, it would be nice to have some type of consistent exciting messaging from the Football operations folks!!!

Which recruits wanted to play for him?

DuUZ8T7VAAA9_Iq.jpg:large

This would appear to be pretty official.

Players wanted to play for him. JFC, get another coach who players want to play for. That is not a reason to LOVE the guy. He was a decent coach by all accounts, but didn't recruit anybody and marginally raised the level of play along the DL (not hard to do from 2017 to 2018). Also, let's not act like Les Miles hand picked him out of everybody in the country. He is at KU because DJ Eliot is at KU, not because Les Miles believes he's some DL coaching savant.

As far as I know, there was never a public announcement that he was part of the new staff at Colorado, and thus the optics (outside of those that are on this board) nationally is that he either

1. was told to find other work
2. was sticking around but wasn't given any assurance by MT for how long (even thru the month).

Remember, firing him means we pay him next year. I am not sure anyone was fired besides MM so far (technically).

So, unless I missed something, the optics don't bother me. I'm with Duff, time to upgrade this position and I really hope it's a guy with Poly ties.

Players wanted to play for him. JFC, get another coach who players want to play for. That is not a reason to LOVE the guy. He was a decent coach by all accounts, but didn't recruit anybody and marginally raised the level of play along the DL (not hard to do from 2017 to 2018). Also, let's not act like Les Miles hand picked him out of everybody in the country. He is at KU because DJ Eliot is at KU, not because Les Miles believes he's some DL coaching savant.

Exactly-See ya later Drake! I want a poly recruiter there.

There is evidence to suggest he has potential and I thought he did a pretty good job in 2018, but especially in regards to recruiting, he is ONLY potential right now. I have no idea where this idea he is killing it on the recruiting trail came from because I do not see much to back it up.

DL/OL coaching positions are THE most important. RG/MT can completely salvage a lot of the frustration of going cheap/unknown to this point by going big on those two hires.

As far as I know, there was never a public announcement that he was part of the new staff at Colorado, and thus the optics (outside of those that are on this board) nationally is that he either

1. was told to find other work
2. was sticking around but wasn't given any assurance by MT for how long (even thru the month).

Remember, firing him means we pay him next year. I am not sure anyone was fired besides MM so far (technically).

So, unless I missed something, the optics don't bother me. I'm with Duff, time to upgrade this position and I really hope it's a guy with Poly ties.
He wasn't even on the trip to see Robinson, arguably our top DL target, so I agree, I think there's reason to doubt he was actually ever going to be retained, despite what Howell/Adam reported initially.

By all accounts players enjoyed playing for Jeffcoat. In the end it's not that important.

A week ago everybody was panicing that we were keeping too many assistants. Now we are panicing because one of the retained assistants got another gig, working for the dc that we wanted gone, for the head coach that supposedly was having trouble hiring assistants.

I am not wowed by the assistant hires so far, but people need to reserve judgment until the full staff is hired before going into a psychotic rage. We might even want to wait until spring practice before deeming the new coach a failure.

HOLD ON! This whole time we are thinking that position coaches will wait until after ESD to move and that's why we haven't filled our 4 positions... and now this??!! I don't get it, what's going on? This is going to screw with our ESD DL recruits! Ugh, so disappointed.
Look, AC's do not move from job to job now because of the ESD. Well, unless they are leaving CU, or considering coming to CU.

Has anybody considered MikMac's slow draw AC hiring process was actually another example of CU Admin. not being able to find its own ass with both hands?

The OL coaching hire will need to be a guy who is a coaching God. Proven to have really found, and developed really good OL's. Not just individuals, but finely tuned "units". That to me is the #3 assistant hire behind MT and the OC/QB coach. At this time, at this place.

Look, AC's do not move from job to job now because of the ESD. Well, unless they are leaving CU, or considering coming to CU.

Has anybody considered MikMac's slow draw AC hiring process was actually another example of CU Admin. not being able to find its own ass with both hands?

Administration might have played a small role, but I think Tucker moves more quickly to fill before January IMO. It will be a clear red flag if he does not.

Back