What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

All-in-one assistant coach suggestions for CU

How many 2018 assistants will Mel Tucker retain?

• 9 or 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
let's play it out. we've got guys out on the road recruiting. they are selling a vision. we're clearly targeting some different guys than we were. there is a plan. and i think it is also fair to assume that most coaches aren't available to be poached pre-esd. exceptions would be those currently or about to be unemployed or guys in waiting room jobs like q c positions. let the early signers sign. we're not driving this train, but i feel like it isn't off the rails yet.

I feel like I’m at a concert, seeing my favorite band of all time, and they haven’t played any of their greatest hits yet with 10 minutes left before the venue shuts down. Time to walk the walk with ace recruiters, HCMT.

I feel like we bought a sweet new car, but within a week the back passenger side window doesn't work and the check engine light came on.

we've got something like 4 position coach positions open or thereabouts, allegedly.

the music stops for the first round of recruiting in a few days. i would hope that we're targeting lateral position coaches in footprint for the last 4 slots. i would think there will be significant movement after esd. no reason to think otherwise yet. we just don't know.

Both of these coordinator hires blow. So uninspiring. He hasn’t hired one coach that I am excited about, unless we count Chev as a hold-over.

My only guess is that HCMM’s contract is takibg a huge dent out of our coaching salary budget, and this is the result of our inability to offer competitive salaries. Which falls back on RG and his decision to give Mac that bug raise and extension after one good season.

Now we’re once again stuck with a staff that looks more like what one can expect from a G5 school. A never-ending downward spiral.

Both of these coordinator hires blow. So uninspiring. He hasn’t hired one coach that I am excited about, unless we count Chev as a hold-over.

My only guess is that HCMM’s contract is takibg a huge dent out of our coaching salary budget, and this is the result of our inability to offer competitive salaries. Which falls back on RG and his decision to give Mac that bug raise and extension after one good season.

Now we’re once again stuck with a staff that looks more like what one can expect from a G5 school. A never-ending downward spiral.

wow. you seem awfully certain. i think we are all just so beaten down as to expect something bad to happen. these coordinator hires make sense in the context of "the process"-- let's see how the rest plays out.

Except for recruiting his position, what's so exciting about Chiv? He was demoted, so there's that.

This hire is just, eh. I guess we'll have to wait and see. Clearly I had unrealistic expextations - that's on me. My bad.

CU’s in a weird spot as far as salary offerings. We’re in the mid to semi high 6 figure range for coordinators. Well that’s common in the BCS level schools now. So it’d be tough to pull a coordinator from another BCS school without them being recently let go or some other factor that would be a potential red flag.

We could pull a position coach like Lanning from UGA, but he’s already making 325, and could get promoted to DC, we can’t outbid UGA if they want him.

We could mine a lower conference, but if they’re there, there’s still some question marks about their ability at the BCS level.

My point is, if you aren’t one of those tier 1 programs willing to go to the 7 figure mark at coordinator off the bat, you’re kinda stuck in this middle neighborhood of coaches who probably aren’t in high demand or have some question marks.

At least the guys we’re getting have coordinator experience I guess. Nothing to get excited about, and they could be great, but that’s where we are at imo, unless we’re going to splash a lot more cash.

I’ll always remember a quote from a Bronco after winning Super Bowl 50: “They (Panthers) were here to be famous. We were here to be champions.”

My only concern is that MT’s hires can execute at a high level and fit his process. Many coordinators execute at a higher level under the right leadership.

Are they sexy? No.

Are they good at what they were hired for? Past results are mixed but mostly positive.

At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is winning.

This whole destination hire bull**** is just that except for HCes that can have their pick. Assistants want promotions and to get paid. If CU is paying, they'll come.
I don't think you read what I wrote.. I said we won't be poaching top tier assistants, as in an OC at another P5 school isn't going to just leave to come to CU unless it's a significant pay raise (which we can't do) or a significantly better job (which we currently are not). If it's a position coach that shows promise, sure I believe CU could get some of those guys because of the promotion and raise aspect. The difference is these two have experience as coordinators, giving a promotion to a promising position coach is a risk e.g. Chev. My whole point here in summary: CU can't poach Coordinators from other big time schools as of right now, CU CAN poach position coaches from big time schools with the promotion factor. It seems like a lot of the members here think CU is in a position to poach coordinators from big time schools right now which is just not true.

Last edited:
What did I make up? The guy was an absolute disaster at Georgia Southern, or whatever the hell it was.
That he didn't coach any great defenses.
Summers was Central Florida's defensive coordinator from 2012-14. During his time with the Knights, they went 31-9. In 2014, UCF was fifth nationally in total defense (allowing 298.5 yards per game) and ninth in scoring defense (19.2 points per game). They were 17th in scoring defense in 2013 (21.3).

Todd Graham now following Tucker. Thoughts as a 2nd LB or DB coach?
If he came in for a year or two, that would help with Texas recruiting and he'd also bring some very creative blitz packages. I'd expect he would coach OLBs/ NBs/ Buff LBs and he'd have to be given a significant extra title (AHC or something) with a big salary. Honestly, I think it's crazy that he hasn't been hired this year as a HC.

Heck, maybe Tucker would be able to pull off the SEC model and get Graham as a Defensive Analyst for a year. Didn't Washington pull that off with Tedford a few years ago?

Huh. If we believe the hiring so far is the direct result of the lack of budget, what makes you believe Todd Graham would come here?

I don't think you read what I wrote.. I said we won't be poaching top tier assistants, as in an OC at another P5 school isn't going to just leave to come to CU unless it's a significant pay raise (which we can't do) or a significantly better job (which we currently are not). If it's a position coach that shows promise, sure I believe CU could get some of those guys because of the promotion and raise aspect. The difference is these two have experience as coordinators, giving a promotion to a promising position coach is a risk e.g. Chev. My whole point here in summary: CU can't poach Coordinators from other big time schools as of right now, CU CAN poach position coaches from big time schools with the promotion factor. It seems like a lot of the members here think CU is in a position to poach coordinators from big time schools right now which is just not true.
I read what you just wrote and my response hasn't changed. Program cachet doesn't matter and if we pay, they will come.

Huh. If we believe the hiring so far is the direct result of the lack of budget, what makes you believe Todd Graham would come here?

His ASU buyout gives him some flexibility in regards to what he wants to do next and he can afford to leave some money on the table if it's a position or school that interests him. See Sumlin, Kelly and Miles. All 3 signed for less than they could've gotten.

Back