What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

An Outsider’s Perspective on Cal Game

Sebastabear

For what it’s worth:

On the positives, you have some real talent on both sides of the ball. Despite being in a deep hole you gave the Bears’ defense fits in the second half. Neither UW nor WSU had half that much success. Also you made our offense looked as bad as they have all year, and that’s saying something. You have some real players and speed on D.

On the negatives (or maybe it’s another positive depending on how you look at it) the Buffs clearly lost because of self-inflicted wounds. I haven’t watched the tape but just from memory, two pick sixes within the first two minutes of the game, another interception, two fumbled punts, two critical fouls that extended plays, a roughing the passer penalty that gave Cal a fresh set of downs, a dropped pick six, no takeaways and some highly questionable play calling. That’s without getting in to the dynamic of your coach having been fired the week before and his son being one of the senior starters on the team. And still CU was in a position to win this - down a single score in the fourth quarter. I mean that’s almost unimaginable. Had Cal managed to lose that game our otherwise chill fan base would have gone full Hiroshima.

So while I think it’s pretty common for fans to focus on what their team did wrong in a loss rather than what the other team did right, in this case you are fully justified in focusing on what you can and should correct. If you do that, the Buffs can play with anyone.

Lastly, I saw the thread suggesting CU can’t be a football powerhouse. From the outside looking in that’s just ridiculous. You have the facilities, you have the fan support and you have the history. Very few teams can say the same. I know it’s been said a bunch, but look at what Leach did this year at WSU. They literally have none of your advantages. You just need the right coach.

Anyway, good luck Buffs. Will see you in a few years.

55457836.jpg

The punt return issues were the most frustrating. Been an issue from game damn one and nothing really changed.
I must admit I was pretty surprised when CU trotted him out again after the first one. And then after the second one when he kept being the punt return guy I was pretty sure we were being punked and this was some horrid cat and mouse game where the Buffs were toying with us only to score 50 points in the 4th quarter and make our heads melt.

I must admit I was pretty surprised when CU trotted him out again after the first one. And then after the second one when he kept being the punt return guy I was pretty sure we were being punked and this was some horrid cat and mouse game where the Buffs were toying with us only to score 50 points in the 4th quarter and make our heads melt.
Oops. Just went and watched the tape and saw that it was actually different guys who fumbled the punt returns. Still thought we were being set up for an elaborate face plant at the time (which almost happened). Glad we got the win but . . .

For what it’s worth:

On the positives, you have some real talent on both sides of the ball. Despite being in a deep hole you gave the Bears’ defense fits in the second half. Neither UW nor WSU had half that much success. Also you made our offense looked as bad as they have all year, and that’s saying something. You have some real players and speed on D.

On the negatives (or maybe it’s another positive depending on how you look at it) the Buffs clearly lost because of self-inflicted wounds. I haven’t watched the tape but just from memory, two pick sixes within the first two minutes of the game, another interception, two fumbled punts, two critical fouls that extended plays, a roughing the passer penalty that gave Cal a fresh set of downs, a dropped pick six, no takeaways and some highly questionable play calling. That’s without getting in to the dynamic of your coach having been fired the week before and his son being one of the senior starters on the team. And still CU was in a position to win this - down a single score in the fourth quarter. I mean that’s almost unimaginable. Had Cal managed to lose that game our otherwise chill fan base would have gone full Hiroshima.

So while I think it’s pretty common for fans to focus on what their team did wrong in a loss rather than what the other team did right, in this case you are fully justified in focusing on what you can and should correct. If you do that, the Buffs can play with anyone.

Lastly, I saw the thread suggesting CU can’t be a football powerhouse. From the outside looking in that’s just ridiculous. You have the facilities, you have the fan support and you have the history. Very few teams can say the same. I know it’s been said a bunch, but look at what Leach did this year at WSU. They literally have none of your advantages. You just need the right coach.

Why can't 'Flukes be more like you?

everyone down on little Mac. I was actually saying during the game let JMac go back and field the punts, at least he will secure the ball.

We don't have a better option to return punts, at all? I don't recall if he has or not, but has KD returned punts? Hell, Viska probably could, think he does enough already, though.

You would think that with 85 scholarship players they could find somebody who can wave for a fair catch and secure the football.

OP is right though, this is or should be a better team than the last 7 games showed. The right coach should be able to come in and win games without needing a long time to fix things.

We do have some longer term issues like depth and talent on the OL and DL and our lack of quality depth at RB and TE but unlike our last couple coaching changes this is not a deep hole to get out of.

Great post Sebastabear – watching that game did excite me for how solid our defense can be next year if our CBs stay healthy.

I'm in the minority here, but I like Blackmon returning punts. Yes, he muffed it against Cal (likely pressing too much because we were down), but he was pretty damn close to taking a few to the house this year. With how stagnant our offense was down the stretch, we need yards wherever we can get em.

Also in the minority thinking that KD is the most misused and overhyped weapon ever. He tried to catch the ball with his body – Sproles being the obvious exception, but short arms aren't great for catching deep balls – whether they be punts or passes.

Please let the mighty tatanka gods have the new coaching staff move him to the slot, keeping Viska, Arias, Brown and Stanley on the outside.

Great post Sebastabear – watching that game did excite me for how solid our defense can be next year if our CBs stay healthy.

I'm in the minority here, but I like Blackmon returning punts. Yes, he muffed it against Cal (likely pressing too much because we were down), but he was pretty damn close to taking a few to the house this year. With how stagnant our offense was down the stretch, we need yards wherever we can get em.

Also in the minority thinking that KD is the most misused and overhyped weapon ever. He tried to catch the ball with his body – Sproles being the obvious exception, but short arms aren't great for catching deep balls – whether they be punts or passes.

Please let the mighty tatanka gods have the new coaching staff move him to the slot, keeping Viska, Arias, Brown and Stanley on the outside.
Sorry, Viska is our slot receiver. And outside. ...and takes snaps. And lines up in the backfield. Those spots are filled, apparently.

Did you watch the game?
Not the best showing by us in that one, but there were some extenuating circumstances with the recent fires. But have you ever watched a Stanford game? I think there were more players on the field than in the stands for that UCLA game.

Not the best showing by us in that one, but there were some extenuating circumstances with the recent fires. But have you ever watched a Stanford game? I think there were more players on the field than in the stands for that UCLA game.
Ah Cal...always the bridesmaid.

For what it’s worth:

You're better than that mean Cal fan with the intestinal disorder.

Back