What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Anxious....Buffs Near-term Future

I guess I just don't like seeing posting that is the equivalent of a room laughing at me because I'm not "in" on the joke. Why don't you enlighten me instead.

It's really nothing all that exciting. A longtime poster accidentally typed "idot" in a poster and the misspelling stuck.

You're allowed to throw **** back at everyone else, no worries.:thumbsup:

It's really nothing all that exciting. A longtime poster accidentally typed "idot" in a poster and the misspelling stuck.

It was MSBuff, right? He is a good dude.....

Thanks. My fragile ego is now restored.:lol: Just like Nebraska's Odor.

My apologies for the "life relevance" statement.

Last edited:
I guess I just don't like seeing posting that is the equivalent of a room laughing at me because I'm not "in" on the joke. Why don't you enlighten me instead.
Dude....balls to the wall..get some self-confidence. It will serve you well, and make you tons of cash in the business world.

Dude....balls to the wall..get some self-confidence. It will serve you well, and make you tons of cash in the business world.

Maybe it has something to do with my getting laid off on Friday from the Business world, because my company was making "necessary cuts". I guess we can't all be as self-confident as you after that kind of day.

Maybe it has something to do with my getting laid off on Friday from the Business world, because my company was making "necessary cuts". I guess we can't all be as self-confident as you after that kind of day.
Sorry, man. I believe things happen for a reason. All is good. Keep plugging..you will be ok!

At least ya weren't laid off for being an idot! :thumbsup:

Plus, just look on the bright side. You can get well into the thousands of posts while being out of work!! :thumbsup:

Now, take your "circumstance" over to The Pub and ask for some prayers or, if you are a hippie, some Karma.

low blow....

I'm bad that way. A guy at work almost died slipping on ice and hitting his head. After he was out of ICU and danger, we got a "Get Well" card going. Everyone wrote **** like, "Get Well Man", or "My Prayers are With you!" I wrote, "Next time, wear a helmet!" :huh:

Karma sent.

Plus, just look on the bright side. You can get well into the thousands of posts while being out of work!! :thumbsup:

Now, take your "circumstance" over to The Pub and ask for some prayers or, if you are a hippie, some Karma.

Does this mean I am a hippy? :woot: That is a new one for me! :smile2:

I agree with the following:

1. We are young and talented.

2. Young and talented players improve sharply when they receive the proper coaching..smart game plans..good half-time adjustments..players that are stronger in the 4th quarter so that better conditioned athletes do not roll them.

Hawk had #1 by, I think, common agreement.

He and his staff now need to produce on #2...and what we see on the field will reflect what type of coaching staff is employed in Boulder. And, that improvement must be seen in 2009...it doesn't have to be win the B12, or even the B12N..it is to show improvement in blocking, tackling, and execution.

:lol: True that. Thanks for the good wishes all. I'm confident I'll get it turned around in no time. Life could be truly bad...I could be a Husker fan!:puke:

:lol: True that. Thanks for the good wishes all. I'm confident I'll get it turned around in no time. Life could be truly bad...I could be a Husker fan!:puke:

That's the Allbuff's spirit!! Now your getting it. :thumbsup: And good luck to your job situation. My belief is that these things work out for the better in the long run. It's the short run that sucks.

Listen, there are plenty of fans that understand the situation right now. We were young and we had a LOT of injuries. But Hawk absolutely needs to show something next year. This "well, we'll be really good in two years" crap doesn't fly anymore. In year four, if we're still struggling, forgive people for starting to question the hire.

You're constantly calling everyone else out, so I'm curious what your expectations are for next year.

Not sure I've called anyone out.... Although I did think McKay was "good enough" from the beginning to play here... ;)

I expect progress each and every year, but I'm not going to measure that only in W/L. My goal is to see this program ranked every year and going to a good bowl game and then every few years, we are top 10 and BCS bound. We haven't been ranked since 2001....

To get there from where we were (see previous posts on the H bomb), is going to take a little patience.

Here's where I think we are right now:

2006 - we won 3 games with no QB in the pipeline.
2007 - we started Cody as a freshmen QB out of need and we SERIOUSLY overachieved. We won 6 games, but we were a couple points from winning 3 games again.
2008 - a combination of graduation, attrition, and injuries decimated an offensive line. Our team took several steps backward. We won 5 games including nailbiters over E. Wash, ISU, and KSU, could have been 2 wins....

I think all three teams were equally bad. The only difference is that the 2008 team is much younger. Either the talent was bad or the coaching was bad. That's up for debate. I happen to think that all three teams were bad, bad and bad.

I don't have a clue if Hawk can coach, although I'm willing to give the Boise State experience the benefit of the doubt. I think there's proof that Hawk (and staff) can recruit because I've seen it. I think in the next year or two we will find out if they can coach. And trust me, I'm questioning Helfrich all the time. I'm less than convinced. We'll find out in the next two years if they can coach. If they can't, we'll be left with a lot better players than when they came in.

Frankly, I don't give a rip if we win 7, 8, or 9 games next year. I want to win 10+ games for 10+ years straight! I think that we may be better in the near-term with Cody at the helm. I think we will be better long-term with Hansen. If you tell me Hawk has to go 8-4 next year to keep his job, he may need to go with Cody. I want to get a LOT better, for the next zillion years, so I'd like to see Hansen win that job. There may be growing pains in '09, but that's better than not growing.

In other words, I'm not putting 8 wins as the dividing line because I think it's counter-productive to how good we can eventually be. We will be decidedly better next year, I'm sure. We were a team that was really no better than 3-4 opponents this year. We will be a team that should minimally win at least 7 next year.

Bottom line, I think that questioning this staff right now is counter-productive. I am absolutely convinced that they can recruit big time. I don't know who would come here if we fired Hawk now or next year. But I do know that he'd come here with experienced offensive linemen and a whole bunch of talent. We'll be better off in 2010 with another two years of Hawk than firing him now - at the bare minimum. But I'm betting that we'll be begging him to never leave in 2010 instead.

In the meantime, get some freakin' recruits to start committing!

We lost to Nebraska by 9 points, not 2 or 3. The field goal certainly mattered but to say we probably win without it is discounting the incredibly poor quarter of football CU posted in the 4th quarter. Yes, losing to Nebraska sucks, yes, the opponent landing a 60 yard field-goal sucks even more, but to say that's the only reason we lost is ignoring the bigger issue - the team didn't really come to play in the 4th quarter, and, after being in the driver's seat ALL game, that made the difference.

EDIT: Regarding the above post, is "almost going bowling" some sort of an accomplishment for this program? That's something that can be taken as a positive at a FB program like Duke, Baylor (who, btw, will be good for the next 3 years) Florida International, directional schools, Iowa State, Temple, etc.

I don't know about you but my hopes for this team are a LOT higher than "almost going bowling". A 6 win season and a berth to the Independence Bowl is an insult to this program if you would care to refer to a season like that as a success. CU is capable of much more than that.

Serious question....did you even watch this game? He misses that field goal, we win the game, plain and simple.

On a side note, this turn of events is now being blamed for OU playing in the NC game instead of UT.

This guy writes some good stuff.

http://www.barkingcarnival.com/taylortroom/the-2008-bcs-and-texas

Yes....By the way, Matt sided with LB..this is my last post. Nice knowing you guys....

You can't abandon Allbuffs without first calling Matt a "dickhead". It's a rule.

Can anybody explain the cryptic Matt/LB statement?

I'm starting to think we win no more then 7 games next season.

DE - Huge question mark and a DL coach who has not shown he can develop the talent he has. Without a DL, I'm having a hard time expecting more then 7 wins next year.

WR - We are one ineligible player away from having another mediocre WR group. Hopefully Simas keeps on top of his school work and doesn't let up one bit this summer (like Faatagi). If no Simas, we can expect plenty of Ryan Maxwell? Maybe Sean Lieb? Espinoza? Hopefully Blackmon is putting on weight and is able to make a contribution from the start. And I hope we can redshirt Darden and not be forced into wasting a redshirt year due to poor depth. Please, please hold on to Simmons (and get him to qualify) and get Diante/Mcneal (One or both) in here.

OL - Worried about this group as well. I have seen more then one mention about the coaches being worried about Miller's leg healing properly. And hopefully MTM and Iltis will be at full strength this summer to give us a decent # of reps with our starting 5 (Whether it is Head, Behrens, Iltis, MTM playing guard). I also question who our center will be. We can't count on Tau until he qualifies and who else will be in the running? Maybe Behrens or Keenan Stevens, but either way we need someone to step up in the spring at center.

QB - Another year of Cody? Evans will be too young and is a raw passer. I'm not sure if we see Ballenger again. Hansen has to show better composure in the passing game (And the coaches need to open the playbook for him). But, even so, are we going to see growing pains at QB for the 4th straight season?

Of course, on the bright side:

TE (Geer, Deehan, Devenny, Wallace), HB (Stewart, Sumler, Scott, Polk), LB (Smart, Beatty, Sipili, Burton, Major, Katoa?, Mohler) and DB (Cha'pelle, Smith, Burney, Perkins, Wright, Manhke, Jalil) have the potential to be very good. But, if both of our lines are struggling (injuries, inelibilities, poor depth), it won't matter how good our skill players are.

I'm starting to think we win no more then 7 games next season.

DE - Huge question mark and a DL coach who has not shown he can develop the talent he has. Without a DL, I'm having a hard time expecting more then 7 wins next year.

Agreed that we need to shore up the d-line but I'm not doom and gloom yet. Hopefully we have a surprise or two in this recruiting class. Cunningham looked really good in the time he got this year. Hopefully Obi can live up to the hype. We haven't heard about Will Pericak in awhile. This group could turn out to be pretty good. And, if not, then hopefully we start bringing a bunch of LB blitz packages...

WR - We are one ineligible player away from having another mediocre WR group. Hopefully Simas keeps on top of his school work and doesn't let up one bit this summer (like Faatagi). If no Simas, we can expect plenty of Ryan Maxwell? Maybe Sean Lieb? Espinoza? Hopefully Blackmon is putting on weight and is able to make a contribution from the start. And I hope we can redshirt Darden and not be forced into wasting a redshirt year due to poor depth. Please, please hold on to Simmons (and get him to qualify) and get Diante/Mcneal (One or both) in here.

I'm thinking out WR group will be much improved over LY. Smith and McKnight will be back. Simmons, if he commits, should immediately compete for playing time. So would Mcneal and Jackson. Simas should be eligible this time around and Blackmon should be pretty good as well.

OL - Worried about this group as well. I have seen more then one mention about the coaches being worried about Miller's leg healing properly. And hopefully MTM and Iltis will be at full strength this summer to give us a decent # of reps with our starting 5 (Whether it is Head, Behrens, Iltis, MTM playing guard). I also question who our center will be. We can't count on Tau until he qualifies and who else will be in the running? Maybe Behrens or Keenan Stevens, but either way we need someone to step up in the spring at center.

Where did you hear about Miller's leg? Assuming that he, MTM and Iltis are healthy, we will already be much improved. I'm curious as to how Givens plays into the picture as I know Hawk is in love with him. We also picked up that center who transferred from Maryland. Unless the injury bug bites again (fingers crossed, knock on wood, etc.), OL should be a strength.

QB - Another year of Cody? Evans will be too young and is a raw passer. I'm not sure if we see Ballenger again. Hansen has to show better composure in the passing game (And the coaches need to open the playbook for him). But, even so, are we going to see growing pains at QB for the 4th straight season?

A lot of this hinges on how fast Hansen develops. If he studies up on the play book and gets a chance to stay in the pocket to let the plays develop, I think he will get the starting nod. Cody will be a very solid backup and hopefully Clark Evans doesn't need to compete this year.

Of course, on the bright side:

TE (Geer, Deehan, Devenny, Wallace), HB (Stewart, Sumler, Scott, Polk), LB (Smart, Beatty, Sipili, Burton, Major, Katoa?, Mohler) and DB (Cha'pelle, Smith, Burney, Perkins, Wright, Manhke, Jalil) have the potential to be very good. But, if both of our lines are struggling (injuries, inelibilities, poor depth), it won't matter how good our skill players are.

Agree with you here. We have a lot of very young, but high potential, talent. Our secondary should be very solid next year. Linebackers should have a lot of speed (get qualified Lynn) and should be able to get pressure on the QB if the dline cannot. The RB situation will be very interesting. Everyone was raving about Polk when he first arrived. Speedy rocked this year until he busted his leg. Scott will be healthy and in shape and should be considerably better in pass protection. We absolutely need to open our TE's more to the passing game. I have a feeling that they were held back in pass protection much more than intended this year.

Back