What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Anyone who can confirm/deny this?

I understand that but if we are going by that, why did he play last year and Simas was the one to redshirt? He will play this year, not nearly as much as last year, but we cant only play 4 recievers this year game in and game out.

Simas wanted to redshirt to get bigger and gain confidence. The fact is, Cellestine may be playing less, and if he believes he can start somewhere else, he's going to go somewhere else. It's great to believe that these guys are all here for the love of the game and an education, but most of the big recruits have dreams of heading to the NFL, that's not going to happen for him if he's not getting solid playing time.

So now we're Texas?:wow:

God, I hope not! LOL

It'll settle in after a while, but see the argument about playing time in the post above. If they're not going to get the playing time here, the ones the feel they've got a shot the the NFL will go where they can get the playing time.

God, I hope not! LOL

It'll settle in after a while, but see the argument about playing time in the post above. If they're not going to get the playing time here, the ones the feel they've got a shot the the NFL will go where they can get the playing time.

I was just kidding. But you make some good points. IMO Kai was probably not going to keep the OG position. He's as tough as they come, but CU has some good competiton at many positions now, and that is what CU needs to return to, dare I say it, dominance.

Maybe starting was the wrong word, however, he did play in 11 games last year and made a few critical catches against OU. I just dont understand why he would leave.

I think he has a lot of potential, but it is pretty crowded at WR right now.

The position switch coupled with the academic issues he is supposedly having may be turning the tide for Kai to head elsewhere if all this rumor stuff is true. A youngster like this so far away from home may have trouble adjusting to the pressures of being a student at a highly regarded university while being a scholarship athlete of a high profileI wish he would stay as an o lineman, even if he gets beat out, the dude would be great back up at least at guard and center. I guess I don't know enough about the situation.

Its a natural assumption to believe this is b/c of the move to FB.

But we all know what they say about assumptions.

Wish it weren't true....but will get over this fairly quick.

Simas wanted to redshirt to get bigger and gain confidence. The fact is, Cellestine may be playing less, and if he believes he can start somewhere else, he's going to go somewhere else. It's great to believe that these guys are all here for the love of the game and an education, but most of the big recruits have dreams of heading to the NFL, that's not going to happen for him if he's not getting solid playing time.

I've really never understood this attitude. If you believe that you are NFL quality, then you better believe that you are good enough to win your position in college. If you are the third or fourth guy at a place like CU, then you should probably wake up and smell the coffee.

Now if a player just wants to play college football because he loves the game and doesn't feel that will happen at CU anymore then I'd be happy to support them moving to another school.

The whole reason they moved him to FB is because he WASN'T going to start on the OL anymore. People can disagree with the move, but if he stayed at OL, he wasn't going to see the field, so he moves to FB. Great, maybe it works for him, maybe it doesn't, the coaching staff did what they could to make sure he would see the field and be productive. If he doesn't like it, it's his right to go somewhere else. He had a solid freshman season, and with some work, he'll make a sick FB, but the season doesn't hinge on whether he stays or goes.

Disagree with that...Kai came in and broke into the starting lineup almost immediately as a true freshman. The young man has a motor and a mean streak which makes him tough to beat out. All the guys you are talking about beating him out were on the team last year and could not take the job away from him.

I wish the best to him and his family. And I also don't believe for one minute that this is not about his move to FB. I'm sure family played a role, but I'd bet you if he was still a starter on the OL, we're not having this conversation.

I think the coaching staff royally screwed the pooch on this one. I was against the move from day one and this is exactly what I feared could happen (either this, or him rotting on the sidelines). I am sad to say I was right.:sad1:

This is the first major screwup by Hawk and crew, IMO. Hopefully there won't be many others.

I wish the best to him and his family. And I also don't believe for one minute that this is not about his move to FB. I'm sure family played a role, but I'd bet you if he was still a starter on the OL, we're not having this conversation.

I think the coaching staff royally screwed the pooch on this one. I was against the move from day one and this is exactly what I feared could happen (either this, or him rotting on the sidelines). I am sad to say I was right.:sad1:

This is the first major screwup by Hawk and crew, IMO. Hopefully there won't be many others.

What a bunch of BS. You were right? How do you know that? Maybe it's about the position move, but maybe it's not. Unless you have some inside info, I question your assessment that it's a major screw up by Hawk and crew.

Here is the quote from the RMN:
The freshman from Wailuku, Hawaii, said his switch from offensive guard, a position he played well enough last season to earn first-team All-Big 12 Conference freshman honors, played a relatively minor role in his decision to leave CU.

What a bunch of BS. You were right? How do you know that? Maybe it's about the position move, but maybe it's not. Unless you have some inside info, I question your assessment that it's a major screw up by Hawk and crew.

Here is the quote from the RMN:
The freshman from Wailuku, Hawaii, said his switch from offensive guard, a position he played well enough last season to earn first-team All-Big 12 Conference freshman honors, played a relatively minor role in his decision to leave CU.

I know what the article said, I'm just saying that I think he's still a Buff today if they don't move him. Yes, he said it played a minor role, but then went on to talk about how he wasn't happy with how the spring went. I just think he would still be a Buff if he didn't get moved.

Let's see where he ends up. If he ends up at UH near where his family lives, then I will concede that I was probably wrong. But if he ends up somewhere else on the mainland, will you do the same?

I am a huge supporter of Hawk and his coaches. I just think they screwed this one up. Badly.

I was against the move from the start, but the move won't make or break the team. I wish Kai the best wherever he ends up.

I know what the article said, I'm just saying that I think he's still a Buff today if they don't move him. Yes, he said it played a minor role, but then went on to talk about how he wasn't happy with how the spring went. I just think he would still be a Buff if he didn't get moved.

Let's see where he ends up. If he ends up at UH near where his family lives, then I will concede that I was probably wrong. But if he ends up somewhere else on the mainland, will you do the same?

I am a huge supporter of Hawk and his coaches. I just think they screwed this one up. Badly.

Fair enough. If he ends up at a school where it's seems unlikely to be better for his "family situation," then I will also concede. Just seemed that you were jumping to conclusions, and blaming Hawk, for issues that have yet to be proven. Peace.

Didn't he miss quite a few practices this year?

Wasn't he among some group of players who were being held out for academic issues or something?

Family comes first. Good luck Kai!

A few months back, the Polynesian pipeline into CU football looked tight. Dizon and Cabral made the appearance that all was well. The CU-HI connection is wonderful. Shaka!

Then there was Sipili's incident. (It's awesome he grinded out his suspension). Isn't Katoa Hawaiian via SLC? And now Maiva. Is there trouble in paradise? Best of luck to Cabral mentoring the Hawaiian kids and helping them thrive in Boulder. Dizon left some big shoes to fill on the field, and maybe also in the lockerroom, too.

Disagree with that...Kai came in and broke into the starting lineup almost immediately as a true freshman. The young man has a motor and a mean streak which makes him tough to beat out. All the guys you are talking about beating him out were on the team last year and could not take the job away from him.

You can disagree if you want. The coaches themselves said they moved him because he was too small (height) to consistently play the guard position at a high level in D-1 football. Yes, he made an impact as a true freshman, but the guys behind him that redshirted and came in this year are better suited to play at an equal or higher level. The fact is, he peaked his level on the OL, and the guys behind him are bigger and better suited to the position. I think I'm going to take the coaches assessment of his long term viability on the OL over yours.

You can disagree if you want. The coaches themselves said they moved him because he was too small (height) to consistently play the guard position at a high level in D-1 football. Yes, he made an impact as a true freshman, but the guys behind him that redshirted and came in this year are better suited to play at an equal or higher level. The fact is, he peaked his level on the OL, and the guys behind him are bigger and better suited to the position. I think I'm going to take the coaches assessment of his long term viability on the OL over yours.

If what you say is true, and I believe most of it is. Then why are we handing out scholarships out to guys that can't play at this level? We can't just hand out scholarships for the sake of handing out scholarships. There is a few guys on the walk on team that deserve one, and can't get one because we make mistakes on guys like Kai.

Don't get me wrong, I love Kai. He was a great player for the Buffs. But if he does not have the size and strength to get us where were going than why are we wasting our time and money? Kai would rock at CSU. But CU and the big 12?

If what you say is true, and I believe most of it is. Then why are we handing out scholarships out to guys that can't play at this level? We can't just hand out scholarships for the sake of handing out scholarships. There is a few guys on the walk on team that deserve one, and can't get one because we make mistakes on guys like Kai.

Don't get me wrong, I love Kai. He was a great player for the Buffs. But if he does not have the size and strength to get us where were going than why are we wasting our time and money? Kai would rock at CSU. But CU and the big 12?

If you recall, Hawk had Tello and Gerhart lined up to come in on that year's OL class. They bolted and Kai was a last minute addition to the class for the OL. IMO he surprised veryone with how well he did. He will do well wherever he lands. Good luck to him.

I wish he would have stayed.. I think Kai would make a SICK fullback.

I don't think they just handing out scolarships. And I don't think Kai was a mistake. On one hand, Kai WAS kind of a backup option at the last minute. He came in and did an amazing job for the time that he was here. Don't forget though, that it's a crapshoot with 18 year old kids. Kai came in and rocked it, the other guys they brought in weren't as big or as strong as Kai last year. They redshirted. The guys the redshirted grew bigger and stronger over the last year, enough to supplant Kai. Kai, from all accounts, was pretty much maxed out size and strength wise for his frame, he just didn't bulk up like the other guys, so they asked him to lose weight and be a fullback, and with his speed, at his size, that, I think, was the best option. Had he continued to grow and bulk up, or been 6 or so inches taller to carry more bulk, I have no doubt with his fire he'd be a 3 year starter on the OL (he'd leave early for the NFL LOL)

Also, there are guys coming in with this class, that are every bit his equal OL-wise, so he's not only competing against last years redshirts, but some top OL recruits in this class. Max TM is supposed to be a bigger stronger version of Kai with the same fight, Givens, by all accounts, is also ready to play as a frosh, though he probably won't.

then went on to talk about how he wasn't happy with how the spring went. I just think he would still be a Buff if he didn't get moved.

Kai shouldn't be happy about how the spring went. His grades were suspect, he got an underaged drinking ticket and that caused him to miss a bunch of practices, which slid him down the depth chart at a new position. I was not at the spring game, but from all reports, he was not lining up in the right spots and missed a few assignments.

This is not all on the coaches, Kai has to take some responsibility, namely for his grades slipping and being held out of practice until they got better.

I wish Kai the best in what ever he does, but I'm not going to go around wringing my hands in anguish over this.

People are assuming the reason Kai is transferring is b/c he was moved to FB and/or for family reasons. I understand that is what the articles quote and discuss. But there are other mitigating circumstances as well. ie. academic standing, etc.

People may have been against the move. Its understandable. But there is no "right or wrong" here. There is no the "staff screwed the pooch with the move".

It was a move made to get the best players on the field. Kai had a great freshman campaign and became the newest poster child for the little two stars that could argument.

But he had his limitations. The kids that RS last season got stronger and better. They are deep and were going to be pushing hard. Especially if Faatagi remains eligible. So it was a preemptive strike to give Kai a chance to be the starting FB after a RS season.

Whatever the factors and circumstances- lets be clear- it wasn't just one thing. There is a lot more...regardless of where he ends up transferring.

Sure this will be a subject of debate for a while.

SD Buff -

You are right on. Most people are overreacting to this. We will be fine...both on the O-line and at FB. Let it go!

Back