What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

As of Early Signing Period - 2018 Class Grade

What grade would you give the 2018 recruiting class?

• A

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • A-

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • B+

Votes: 42 26.3%
  • B

Votes: 59 36.9%
  • B-

Votes: 33 20.6%
  • C+

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • C

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • C-

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • D

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • F

Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters
This may be better in a new thread, but how can a state like Colorado that is so passionate about pro football have such a weak collection of programs at the HS level?
Population density.

I think the Denver Metro area holds it's own, but there's just not enough in the hinterlands.

We are uncommon!!

Also this thread had gotten real shi**ty.
I think there's the potential for 15-25 years of sustained success, I just think that's step 1. By the year 2035-2040 I'm not so certain about all the other factors. By that time I may be able to take a hyperloop from Balto/DC to Denver/Boulder and be at Folsom field in 60 minutes so all the regional questions will be moot at that point.

And this may be a politically incorrect answer but it’s because there aren’t very many black people living in CO.
giphy.gif

Even if your post is tongue-in-cheek, I don't think that's fair. lvbuff's post that he was responding to had anger management issues directed at a "certain ethnic" group... ...it was complete bull**** of a post. Tshekler post about lack of black people in CO doesn't seem to harbor any ill will towards anybody, but just notes that the correlation of athletic success by the black people in this country. Now, we can debate on whether this is genetic, how that's brought about, institutionalized due to poorer neighborhoods' culture, etc. Fine, but I don't think Tshekler's being a hypocrite here. lvbuff's post deserved to be called out.

You're making drastic leaps here. At what point did I call anyone racist?

Yeah, even though I just defended Tshekler's comment to Ogre, his comment still raised a lot of interesting topics with inherent conclusions that could be socially/politically divisive. I have my thoughts on it, but I ain't touching it on here. Definitely raised my eyebrows, even though I don't think Tshekler's comment is fine.

Even if your post is tongue-in-cheek, I don't think that's fair. lvbuff's post that he was responding to had anger management issues directed at a "certain ethnic" group... ...it was complete bull**** of a post. Tshekler post about lack of black people in CO doesn't seem to harbor any ill will towards anybody, but just notes that the correlation of athletic success by the black people in this country. Now, we can debate on whether this is genetic, how that's brought about, institutionalized due to poorer neighborhoods' culture, etc. Fine, but I don't think Tshekler's being a hypocrite here. lvbuff's post deserved to be called out.
Maybe this belongs in pet peeves, but using phrases like "I'm uncomfortable" or "that offends me" to end a sensitive conversation is week sauce, IMO. Tscheck's smart enough to articulate a response other than a canned "I've been triggered!" It wasn't meant to be so serious, Francis.

Maybe this belongs in pet peeves, but using phrases like "I'm uncomfortable" or "that offends me" to end a sensitive conversation is week sauce, IMO. Tscheck's smart enough to articulate a response other than a canned "I've been triggered!" It wasn't meant to be so serious, Francis.
My “this makes me uncomfortable” comment to lvbuff was done tongue in cheek because lvbuff said the exact same thing in the Ana Kendrick thread. There is nothing that you assholes can post on this message board that would make me feel legitimately uncomfortable.

Demographic probably has something to do with it. It could also be that states like TX and CA can have football all year and not be interrupted in the winter by snow. Hence why sports such as tennis and golf thrive there as well. But that wouldn't explain the east coast's success. I think it lies at a fundamental level where there are just more opportunities in other states and in Colorado we have way more to do in the way of hiking and skiing

My “this makes me uncomfortable” comment to lvbuff was done tongue in cheek because lvbuff said the exact same thing in the Ana Kendrick thread. There is nothing that you assholes can post on this message board that would make me feel legitimately uncomfortable.
Hmmm, you sure about that?

Demographic probably has something to do with it. It could also be that states like TX and CA can have football all year and not be interrupted in the winter by snow. Hence why sports such as tennis and golf thrive there as well. But that wouldn't explain the east coast's success. I think it lies at a fundamental level where there are just more opportunities in other states and in Colorado we have way more to do in the way of hiking and skiing

The upper midwest produces a ton of good FB players and they have winters much harsher than ours.

It comes back to culture and participation. In states like Texas, Florida, Ohio, Michigan, and others in many areas almost any boy big enough to play is expected to play. Participation is almost assumed. As you mention in Colorado and some other places it is almost a surprise when a kid wants to play instead of doing other things.

To @TSchekler 's comment it doesn't have to be a racist statement to acknowledge that in many black communities participation in team sports is more strongly encouraged and participation rates are higher than in some other groups.

Somebody needs to pick up this gauntlet...AB's reputation for crassness is at stake.

The other big factor for Colorado in-state recruiting is that we're only in the early stages of building out the big suburban high schools. That's usually where most of the D1 athletes are produced since they have the facilities to go with the population. This is true for all sports, not just football. But considering football, notice how you don't see a ton of players from New York City (the nation's largest city) but you do see a ton from the northern New Jersey prep school and public schools? That's because the best NYC athletes are going there to play HS ball. Same thing happens in Los Angeles where the true city schools aren't producing the most talent.

Growth of the suburbs and light rail systems to make commuting easy within the Denver metro will probably drive CO prep athletics more than anything. In terms of diversity, the growth of the state is improving things. People of every background & heritage will move where the jobs are.

I know successful people who attended CSU and Metro State,

I met him too!

I have a degree from each. Don't know if I qualify as successful though, after all I waste way to much time on this board with you guys.

I do have to say though, I don't know how it is now but of all my academic work including CSU, the CU system, and a little bit of others my final two years of business at Metro was the most academically challenging and beneficial. I had to work my a** off to get good grades in some of those classes, something that I didn't have to do elsewhere.

The other big factor for Colorado in-state recruiting is that we're only in the early stages of building out the big suburban high schools. That's usually where most of the D1 athletes are produced since they have the facilities to go with the population. This is true for all sports, not just football. But considering football, notice how you don't see a ton of players from New York City (the nation's largest city) but you do see a ton from the northern New Jersey prep school and public schools? That's because the best NYC athletes are going there to play HS ball. Same thing happens in Los Angeles where the true city schools aren't producing the most talent.

Growth of the suburbs and light rail systems to make commuting easy within the Denver metro will probably drive CO prep athletics more than anything. In terms of diversity, the growth of the state is improving things. People of every background & heritage will move where the jobs are.
I think what I hear you saying is that if Amazon puts HQ2 in Denver, CU football will improve. Nice.

Having large HSs with a concentration of talent, coaching, and S&C is significant. While we love to hear the stories of some kid from a small town making it those kids who not only play but practice every day against higher level talent, who have better and more focused coaching, who have to develop technique and knowledge to succeed rather than just dominate by being bigger and faster have a big advantage in advancing to the next level.

I have a degree from each. Don't know if I qualify as successful though, after all I waste way to much time on this board with you guys.

I do have to say though, I don't know how it is now but of all my academic work including CSU, the CU system, and a little bit of others my final two years of business at Metro was the most academically challenging and beneficial. I had to work my a** off to get good grades in some of those classes, something that I didn't have to do elsewhere.
FFS recognize a ****ing joke when you see it.

Back