What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Assistants

Did that team have Jack McDowell on it?
Yep, I never liked that prick. Pretty sure, he won the Cy Young that year. When Nolan Ryan and Ventura had their little scuffle, I want to say it was '93 or '94, or so? He's lucky that big guy didn't kick his ass for him. :D McDowell was talking **** apparently, but behind a few other folks, shocking.

Yep, I never liked that prick. Pretty sure, he won the Cy Young that year. When Nolan Ryan and Ventura had their little scuffle, I want to say it was '93 or '94, or so? He's lucky that big guy didn't kick his ass for him. :D McDowell was talking **** apparently, but behind a few other folks, shocking.
Didn't know he was a doosh. I remember wishing the Jays had him. The '92-'93 seasons were amazing. I thought they had it in '85 vs the Royals but they blew that.

That's what I call a drought. Jeesh.

YearPlaycallerPPGPac-12 Rank
2019Jay Johnson24.210th
2018Darrin Chiaverini27.17th
2017Brian Lindgren26.411th
2016Brian Lindgren31.37th
2015Brian Lindgren24.611th
2014Brian Lindgren28.510th
2013Brian Lindgren25.411th
2012Eric Bieniemy17.812th
2011Eric Bieniemy19.812th
Doooooooom!!!

Dorrell went against his original stated intentions of having an experienced play caller. It appears he acquiesced to Chiv’s campaigning and possible leverage to his role with recruits. This is not a good look for Karl Dorrell.

Dorrell went against his original stated intentions of having an experienced play caller. It appears he acquiesced to Chiv’s campaigning and possible leverage to his role with recruits. This is not a good look for Karl Dorrell.

He was more emphatic in his original conversations with the press that he (Dorrell) would not be calling plays, choosing instead to focus on being an all-around head coach. But your point still stands, he hasn’t grabbed a really experienced OC. I will say this, though, there are four coaches that have called plays on staff - Dorrell, Chev, Rodrigue, and Langsdorf. We’ll see how that plays out.

He was more emphatic in his original conversations with the press that he (Dorrell) would not be calling plays, choosing instead to focus on being an all-around head coach. But your point still stands, he hasn’t grabbed a really experienced OC. I will say this, though, there are four coaches that have called plays on staff - Dorrell, Chev, Rodrigue, and Langsdorf. We’ll see how that plays out.
I like the staff support for Chiv, absent last time. His success will depending on his humility, willingness to ask for and receive assistance and his opportunities to listen. These are signs of maturity. The jury is out, at least for me. Maybe Dorrell is exactly what he needed at this stage in his career, especially off the field.

I like the staff support for Chiv, absent last time. His success will depending on his humility, willingness to ask for and receive assistance and his opportunities to listen. These are signs of maturity. The jury is out, at least for me. Maybe Dorrell is exactly what he needed at this stage in his career, especially off the field.

The jury is definitely still out, but I’m ok with giving Chev another shot. Clean slate for me. As the stats above show, it’s not like he was worse than either Johnson or Lindgren (and actually better statistically although doesn’t mean that much with all the variables).

I’d like to see what Chev can do with better personnel. Remember in 2018, he had OL Coach Adams rolling out Kaiser-Tonz-Pursell-Lynott-Haigler (Lynott coming off injury, Pursell young, Tonz and Haigler quit football with eligibility remaining), Lindsay was being replaced as the feature back, and Montez was, well, Montez. That was not an offense built for much success.

The jury is definitely still out, but I’m ok with giving Chev another shot. Clean slate for me. As the stats above show, it’s not like he was worse than either Johnson or Lindgren (and actually better statistically although doesn’t mean that much with all the variables).

I’d like to see what Chev can do with better personnel. Remember in 2018, he had OL Coach Adams rolling out Kaiser-Tonz-Pursell-Lynott-Haigler (Lynott coming off injury, Pursell young, Tonz and Haigler quit football with eligibility remaining), Lindsay was being replaced as the feature back, and Montez was, well, Montez. That was not an offense built for much success.

I guess I can see giving him another shot, but my worry is the contract he was given (raise and new three-year deal) may make it nearly impossible to fire him if things go poorly again.

I guess I can see giving him another shot, but my worry is the contract he was given (raise and new three-year deal) may make it nearly impossible to fire him if things go poorly again.

That’s a legit concern, but at least there are other options in the building where you can subtly switch things around if things do go poorly.

Let me expound a bit on Chev. I’m not measuring his hire against an experienced playcaller that Dorrell suggested. I’m measuring the Chev hire against a likely replacement. In my opinion, replacement may have commanded same contract terms or better, and likely wouldn’t have been a proven OC either. I think we would’ve had to offer a promotion to a position coach, grabbed a retread, or gone for a successful, but lower tier FCS coach. So far, the only sample size we have on Chev is 12 games in 2018 behind an absolutely abysmal offensive line, no TE, and a head case for a QB that refused to run or had any pocket presence. You had Viska and McMillan. Viska went down, McMillan got nicked up. Offense cratered. Play calling did look suspect toward the back half of the season, but when you can’t run up the middle or off tackle, and have no TE, good DCs are going to eat you up. And that’s what they did.

At least he won't be pushed by Mickey Mac to: 1) get that 1,000 yds for Trayvon; 2) always look for your one go-to guy; or 3) shut things down, when the score gets too high. Oh, almost forgot: Completely ignore your TE, except as a blocker.

Why don't you buy and send him a copy of Sun Tzu's Art of War ? Lotta great lessons in there for OCs.

Yes. The site would not let me change it. I’ll try again. The content seems to bother you. That’s OK.
It doesn't bother me at all. I just think it's weird to have a coach on another staff wearing that teams colors and logo as an avatar. Not something that as a true fan would ever cross my mind.

I don’t think you would want fire him any way. Take the play calling away from him and keep him recruiting for CU. Hopefully, it’s a moot point.
Over time I have convinced myself that Chev will work as the OC under HCKD. He has a lot more support this time around with both Dorrell and Langsdorf there. The key for me is if Rodrigue can provide a solid Oline. Very few OC can be successful without winning the trenches. I have convinced myself that Rodrigue is going to be good too.

I don’t think you would want fire him any way. Take the play calling away from him and keep him recruiting for CU. Hopefully, it’s a moot point.
Over time I have convinced myself that Chev will work as the OC under HCKD. He has a lot more support this time around with both Dorrell and Langsdorf there. The key for me is if Rodrigue can provide a solid Oline. Very few OC can be successful without winning the trenches. I have convinced myself that Rodrigue is going to be good too.

In my opinion, Rick George should have extended Kap before hiring a head coach. Tough thing to force on an incoming coach, but I would’ve been prepared to eat Kap’s guaranteed salary in a bid to retain him. Thought not going that route was a mistake, especially if reports that he and family really liked living in Colorado were true.

Even Bill Belichek wasn't successful the first go around. I am hopeful Chev has learnt from his first go around as OC. It is a great opportunity for him. RPO is the best offense that fits the skill set of both our young QBs. Got to be a balanced offense. Also need to be able to make adjustments.

That isn’t a unilateral transaction. Kap was in high demand before Tucker left, why would he sign in advance of knowing who he would be working for?

That’s true. It would’ve been a risk. But I would’ve made him say no. The fact that it took a bit longer to hire him makes me think he was keeping the door open to return. He did have an expiring offer with Tucker and we didn’t have a coach yet. Kap did what he had to do and handled his departure with class.

The key will be Chiv’s humility, willingness to ask for and receive help and listening to others.

In my opinion, Rick George should have extended Kap before hiring a head coach. Tough thing to force on an incoming coach, but I would’ve been prepared to eat Kap’s guaranteed salary in a bid to retain him. Thought not going that route was a mistake, especially if reports that he and family really liked living in Colorado were true.
I can see why you would want this, but the wrong thing for an exec to do.

Even Bill Belichek wasn't successful the first go around. I am hopeful Chev has learnt from his first go around as OC. It is a great opportunity for him. RPO is the best offense that fits the skill set of both our young QBs. Got to be a balanced offense. Also need to be able to make adjustments.
What do you want Chiv to have learned, and how/when was he supposed to have learned it?

I hope he makes improvements on balanced attack, passing schemes, predictability, feel for down and distance and adjustments.

Back