What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Assistants

That a school with double our AC budget can’t attract really good ACs at this stage in the hiring cycle should be a major cause for concern with CU fans. Seriously. That means that coaches are staying put this year.

It sure would seem to refute the notion that money is the most important factor above all else and that everyone would jump at a significantly higher salary.

I am far from obsessed with the former head coach. But a SIGNIFICANT topic in the last week has been the assistant coach salary pool. It's not something I've ever heard much focus on. And it was emphasized as a secondary yet important reason the former coach went to msu. So as I try to sort out this general emphasis on assistant coach salary pool, I'm seeing the use of the assistant coach salary pool at msu to build a staff and the reality seems inconsistent with the former coach narrative that CU's assistant coach salary pool was too paltry. I have NEVER said anything joyful about CU coaches leaving for other jobs elsewhere. I hope that coach Dorrell can round up a solid staff that is extremely successful in coaching, preparing, developing, guiding, recruiting.

I think there is some validity to the issue but at the same time I think too much is being made about it now.

Keep in mind we really did not hear much about this issue until after HCMT left. Which makes me thinks it really is 90% about Tucker trying to save face after revealing who he really was. Its a smoke screen. I think he was caught off guard at how much negative attention he received. Started this up as a defensive mechanism.

He is proving me right based off who he is hiring as assistants. Those are his actions not his words. We now know that you can not trust Mel Tucker's words.

That a school with double our AC budget can’t attract really good ACs at this stage in the hiring cycle should be a major cause for concern with CU fans. Seriously. That means that coaches are staying put this year.

I'm not sure the two situations are identical. MSU has money, but really, what else? A head coach who is a good liar? East Lansing? Would I hitch my horse to Midnight Melvin that he can make good headway against Michigan, Ohio State, Wiscy etc? Until the last few years, I always felt that D'Antonio was working absolute miracles in that hell hole. Mel will be there only until a SEC coach is ready to pay up. Maybe South Carolina will be next ones up?

Why wouldn't he be doubling the salaries of the coaches he pulled from CU? Well, except Peagler, he had better more than doubled Peagler.
Probably because they’re not worth double, except for maybe Kap. But, if they got doubles, more power to them.

Probably because they’re not worth double, except for maybe Kap. But, if they got doubles, more power to them.

How does that conversation go?

"Hey Jay, I've got 2x budget for assistants at MSU. I want you to be my OC here, I really liked what you did at CU. I'll pay you more, but less than 2x because you aren't worth 2x. Kap is worth 2x, but you are not. What you say?"

"Hey Jay, I've got 2x budget for assistants at MSU. I want you to be my OC here, I really liked what you did at CU. I'll pay you more, but less than 2x because you aren't worth 2x. Kap is worth 2x, but you are not. What you say?"
For a guaranteed job with a guy you know and like and for whom you’ve worked already? Most ACs are going to say yes. JJ likely got a raise. I’d be surprised (but not shocked) if he’s making $1.2mm this year. We’ll know when his contract is approved and made public.

I don't think he can pay the OC less than the OL coach.

Great example of why to ignore someone or thing with your own abilities (whatever they mayn’t be), rather than letting the overlords do it for you. They always screw things up.

Could be that some coaches are Rape Averse
I guess. Unfortunately, MANY schools’ football programs cover up sexual assaults by football players. I don’t think it’s an ethics thing for most guys. They’re just glad to have something solid locked up for 2020 and will reevaluate after the season is over.

I am excited to see who he bring in. I liked the fact that he said he was not going to rush the hires. He plans to be here for the long haul and wants to do it right. Although time will play a roll with spring ball around the corner.
Question I have and cant find the answer....I know they are only allowed so many practices for spring ball. Are there rules about how many days a week they can practice? I know in the past the practices have been spread out, like every other day mostly. Can they practice every day if need be? If they cant push the spring game back, can they push back the start date and practice more often?

I am excited to see who he bring in. I liked the fact that he said he was not going to rush the hires. He plans to be here for the long haul and wants to do it right. Although time will play a roll with spring ball around the corner.
Question I have and cant find the answer....I know they are only allowed so many practices for spring ball. Are there rules about how many days a week they can practice? I know in the past the practices have been spread out, like every other day mostly. Can they practice every day if need be? If they cant push the spring game back, can they push back the start date and practice more often?
Could be wrong, but I seem to recall a couple years when spring ball took a break over spring break, then resumed. Not sure if it was under Embree, or someone else. So if my memory is correct and there are no new rules about this practice, it should be possible.

Tucker was using spring break in the middle of his spring practice schedule.

We can move the start day back a few weeks and still finish at the same time, just like WSU and UW are scheduled.

Tucker was using spring break in the middle of his spring practice schedule.

We can move the start day back a few weeks and still finish at the same time, just like WSU and UW are scheduled.
Thought I read UW and WSU are on a quarter system, so school ends much later than CU. So that may not be a viable solution for us.

Thought I read UW and WSU are on a quarter system, so school ends much later than CU. So that may not be a viable solution for us.

You did but it's not relevant They are ending at the end of April just like us. Nothing to do with quarter system. It's just a more compact approach. Tucker was spreading it out to keep S&C going.

At the end, Big Al said that when his kids were at the age to go to a football camp he put them on a plane to learn from Karl Dorrell at UCLA because he knew how Karl does things. I'm not sure there's a stronger endorsement of a coach from a player than trusting him with your kids.

Back