What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Barnett interested in SMU job

I grew up an SMU fan, and would like to see the guy land it. I bet he could make some noise in the USA Conference.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3094247

I grew up a big SMU fan. My mom and dad met there. My dad played high school ball with Doak Walker. Dad was offerd a schollie to play at SMU but declined. So I grew up hearing the Doak Walker stories. Then I followed them in the 60's. I was at a game in '62 or '63 when SMU played the Roger Staubach led Navy team. I still remember Jerry Levias. But now I could give a flip about SMU. Do you guys remember when it looked like Mac was leaving CU to take over at SMU?

I grew up a big SMU fan. My mom and dad met there. My dad played high school ball with Doak Walker. Dad was offerd a schollie to play at SMU but declined. So I grew up hearing the Doak Walker stories. Then I followed them in the 60's. I was at a game in '62 or '63 when SMU played the Roger Staubach led Navy team. I still remember Jerry Levias. But now I could give a flip about SMU. Do you guys remember when it looked like Mac was leaving CU to take over at SMU?

Yes, and Gordon Gee told Mac that God wanted him to stay here and finish what he started, or something along those lines.

My whole family on my father's side from Gramps on down went to SMU with the exception of my dad, who went to CU. We used to go to a couple of games every year. This was back in the Pony Express years, James, Dickerson, et al.

I was at the Holiday Bowl when they played Jim McMahon's BYU team in 80. BYU won the game 46-45 on a hail mary last play of the game:huh:

Egads, you sound just like Joe Williams... well, except for the part where you failed to bash CU at every conceivable opportunity. Care to add in a pitch for Scott's Liquid Gold? :smile2:

Egads, you sound just like Joe Williams... well, except for the part where you failed to bash CU at every conceivable opportunity. Care to add in a pitch for Scott's Liquid Gold? :smile2:

They made it in a garage on Emporia Street, one half mile east of I-25. Scott played linebacker for Denver East.

They made it in a garage on Emporia Street, one half mile east of I-25. Scott played linebacker for Denver East.

No no no, you're WAY off. The furniture polish was made on Garfield Street, but that's beside the point. What isn't beside the point is the delicious cuisine they serve at Hacienda Colorado...

No no no, you're WAY off. The furniture polish was made on Garfield Street, but that's beside the point. What isn't beside the point is the delicious cuisine they serve at Hacienda Colorado...

They have great tomotillo sauce. They are located on Emporia Street, one half mile east of I-25.

Last edited:
SMU has a lot more resources than Baylor and is right in Dallas.

Got that right B&G

SMU is also a rich kid school. Private school with lots of funding. And SMU also has something that Baylor never had, a history of football excellence (prior to the death penalty). It's much easier IMHO to bring a program back into the national scene if it has been a national contender in the past than try to take one there for the first time. I'm not saying GB's going to win an NC at SMU just that I think if he made a splash it would be noticed more because of their past tradition.

Just curious. How is it that you guys think SMU has more resources than Baylor?

I don't know if you are right or wrong. It's just that SMU seems like an intercity enclave school that is bound by a chic Dallas neighborhood. It's kind of like DU, but with a football team and some guy named Doak. Student population of 11,000, with 6,000 undergrads.

Baylor is more remote, in Waco. It's kind of a glorified truckstop off the interstate on first impression. But Baylor is going through a major capital program and has thrown up some impressive buildings in the last 5 years. I guess Baylor is the oldest University in Texas, and the flagship school of the Baptists. 14,000 students with 12,000 undergrads.

Seems like Baylor cranks out its fair share of lawyers and doctors while SMU cranks out MBAs. Having walked across both campus in the past 12 months, I'd have guessed Baylor has more resources.

I don't know if you are right or wrong. It's just that SMU seems like an intercity enclave school that is bound by a chic Dallas neighborhood. It's kind of like DU, but with a football team and some guy named Doak. Student population of 11,000, with 6,000 undergrads.

Baylor is more remote, in Waco. It's kind of a glorified truckstop off the interstate on first impression. But Baylor is going through a major capital program and has thrown up some impressive buildings in the last 5 years. I guess Baylor is the oldest University in Texas, and the flagship school of the Baptists. 14,000 students with 12,000 undergrads.

Seems like Baylor cranks out its fair share of lawyers and doctors while SMU cranks out MBAs. Having walked across both campus in the past 12 months, I'd have guessed Baylor has more resources.

My impression is that smu has a ****load of money.

My impression is that smu has a ****load of money.

Had to check my friend wikipedia.
Endowment
SMU $1.3B
BU $1B, but has a Baylor 2012 plan with a target of $2B
UT $5.5B
Harvard $34.9B

CU (ahem..) $590M

Maybe GB should try coaching at Harvard.

Last edited by a moderator:
If location was all that mattered, then BAYLOR should be playing for the national championship every year.

Fact is, SMU is pretty far down the Texas food chain:

1. Texas
2. Oklahoma
3. Texas A&M
3a. Texas Tech
4. Oklahoma State
5. TCU and everybody else.

SMU hasn't been worth a crap since the death penalty days. It is not a competitive job anymore, IMO. Barnett might go there and win 3 or 4 games a year, just like most of the other coaches have done.

I'd put North Texas ahead of them too.. They have some 33,000 kids going to that school and they are putting a lot of money into that program..

SMU is dead and I doubt they'll ever come back.. The coaches that win in those kind of conferences are ones that spread you out and throw the ball around (i.e. Kragthorpe when he was at Tulsa, Briles at Houston, etc, etc).. Barnett ain't going to do that.. Barnett doesn't seem like a good fit there.. And with all the baggage Barnett has when he was here, I doubt the SMU faculty/adminstration will look fondly on SMU athletic dept hiring Barnett even though most of us here know that it was a bunch of bullcrap.. Perception wise, I don't think it would sell at SMU.

I agree with this post. Pretty good analysis. SMU does have a good law school though, so it's not just cranking out MBAs.

I'd put North Texas ahead of them too.. They have some 33,000 kids going to that school and they are putting a lot of money into that program..

SMU is dead and I doubt they'll ever come back.. The coaches that win in those kind of conferences are ones that spread you out and throw the ball around (i.e. Kragthorpe when he was at Tulsa, Briles at Houston, etc, etc).. Barnett ain't going to do that.. Barnett doesn't seem like a good fit there.. And with all the baggage Barnett has when he was here, I doubt the SMU faculty/adminstration will look fondly on SMU athletic dept hiring Barnett even though most of us here know that it was a bunch of bullcrap.. Perception wise, I don't think it would sell at SMU.

North Texas is NOT ahead of SMU in the pecking order in Texas. North Texas is a just commuter school which won maybe 1 game in a half a century playing SMU. SMU has a rich football history and deep pockets.

As for what it takes to win Conference USA, it seems everybody in every conference throws a lot more. However, TCU had a fair amount of success in that conference running the ball down people's throats.

I do agree that it is unlikely Barnett will get a shot there. SMU alums (and I know some wealthy ones) are pretty conservative folks who would not be overly concerned with feminazi protests, but given the school's history with NCAA sanctions, they would probably look elsewhere.

Still hearing Fran's name a lot, but a name that seemingly came out nowhere today is Steve Kragthorpe. That would be very interesting.

Still hearing Fran's name a lot, but a name that seemingly came out nowhere today is Steve Kragthorpe. That would be very interesting.

Getting out of Louvull while the getting is good?

It would be interesting to see who they would go to to replace Kragthorpe in that case...

Back