What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Best and worst fan bases to visit

jsmilkst

Club Member
Club Member
Now that the **** talking husker week is over, I'm curious as to where people have had the best and worst experiences as visiting fans.
Though not a true road game, my worst experience was with Wisconsin at the Alamo bowl. It stands out because of the age of the people who bitched at me. Students I expect to receive **** from, especially as a band member at the time, but the "mature" crowd was calling us names as we performed. It was special.
The best experience was a road trip to TTU with @ZandiBuff and crew. We rolled in there and beat Mike Leach, as is customary, and every damn person was cool about it. Legitimately friendly. Besides the fact that it's Lubbock, I would definitely go back.

I agree on TT. No problems there. Walked through their tailgates with Buffs gear. No problem. A lot of “thanks for coming down” and was offered bbq and drinks.

Always have fun at Tempe. Common dislike of zona provides a bonding point.

I probably had the rudest reception in Austin. But that was when Texas thought they had invited the Big8 to join their conference (rather than the converse) and were gods gift to football. And actually it’s the one thing I agree with Nebraska on (or at least with their athletic dept) that just like Colorado they said, “we don’t need this bs and got out”

Related note:
Haven’t been there and more a basketball thing but can’t stand Arizona fans. They are actually very similar to nub fans. Myopic. Entitled. Blind to their own hypocrisy. Delusional (aka will always drink the KoolAid) Willing to rationalize away even criminal behavior if involves their team. Also incapable of anything more than a repetitive 3 syllable chant.

Another Texas Tech shout out. Those fans insisted on handing me beers, finding common ground on disliking Baylor, OU, A&M, UT. They had zero hate left in the tank for CU. To the contrary, they relished telling me about how great their last fishing, camping, skiing, trip to Colorado was, and how they couldn’t wait to go back. The CU fans had EZ seats to ourselves, out earshot from any Tech student chatter. Pretty cool place to meet T-Wheat’s mom, Hugh Charles’s mom and GF, Misti Hawkins, and the few dozen other CU fans who bothered to venture into BF Texas. Didn’t hurt that CU beat Leach’s team that day.

Wazzou was a lot of fun. Also in the Styx of the Palouse. Never forget the tailgate group who fly in a bunch of Maine lobsters for every game and boil them up in a giant witch’s caldron. Also interesting to see their raptor club walking around the pregame festivities with a live falcon. Friendly beer sharing fans throughout the event. Didn’t hurt that CU beat Leach’s team that day.

Hawaii fans throw a mean tailgate. Poke, fire roasted pig, tropical fruit, Mai Tais. Warrior fans spread Aloha, talk football, and put a friendly human face on that rust bucket of a stadium. They know Brian Cabral and who played for the Buffs over the years. This is the only tailgate I’ve ever been to where a guy gave me his business card in case I’m ever in the market for a bonsai tree or a zen garden.

As far as locations, Berkeley is incredible. So many CU fans. Great place to catch up with Bay Area Buffs. And it super convenient to jump on BART and disappear into San Francisco to find distractions from the pain of losing. Cal fans don’t really tailgate, but congregate in bars or the Bear’s Lair on campus. Not much by way of beer offerings, though. And not much football chitter chatter to be found with the fog hippies I ran into. Next time, best to coordinate in advance with Liverflukes.

The UT pregame BBQ scene is wonderballs. The pit masters get the smokers going six hours before kickoff. There are hundreds of setups in the parking lots all over campus. And pregame socializing with beer and meat offerings come easy and often. But once inside the massive DKR Memorial stadium, the hospitality comes to a screeching halt. The visitor section is in a neighboring zip code. Nosebleed seats for guests catch maximum sunshine. Several UT fans insisted on being pricks all game long. **** that stadium. I’d just as well hang out at one of the hundreds of tailgate tents that have a big screen TV with satellite hookup, a bottomless keg, and a grill full of flame roasted meat.

The sailgating on Lake Washington is next level. Got swept up on a boat, drank purple margs, and jammed to some Jimmy Buffet on the poop deck. It sucked that CU lost, but it was cool to be welcomed onto a boat of Dawgs for some post game cheer.

Rudest fan encounter I experienced was in Lawrence. Some creeper behind me sniffed my ear and whispered that I smelled like pussy. Very random. An other group of frat guys directed a bunch of **** talk towards the CU band. The student section directly behind the CU bench were in full heckle mode all game long. More crass than clever. Don’t care to return to KU again. But Freestate Brewery was an upside, and a music teacher did give us an impromptu tour of the campanile. We were invited to ring the bells from the top. Man, I regret not knowing how to play the CU fight song.

Fond memories and some heartbreaks at A&M, Baylor, Okie Lite, Oregon State, UCLA, Arizona, Nebraska, Kjuco, Norman, West Virginia, CSU, and Stanford, SMU, and TCU. It’s no surprise that the best trips involve CU actually winning. Unfortunately those occasions have been few and far between since the glory days. Regardless, college football weekends tend to be a lot of fun wherever the adventure happens to be. America is soooo much better with college football and it’s fans being available to enjoy.

Not a one of them hold a candle to Boulder in September, though. Proud to be a Buff. Can’t wait to check out more stadiums.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never had a problem anywhere. Washington, Wazzu, Cal, Stanford, USC, UCLA, Texas, aTm, Baylor, Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio State, FSU, Georgia and Miami.

Actually... Miami was a bunch of dicks. They were in reality, what Nebraska accuse CU fans of. However, with Miami, yeah... it’s true. Ask @sackman .

They can suck my balls too.

I'm in agreement with Texas Tech. I went over to the student section to watch TT do their pregame warmup which was my first exposure to Danny Amendola as he was snagging everything thrown his direction. Students seemed to be surprised and excited someone that was not from Texas somehow found out where Lubbock was and actually came there. Everyone was awesome there even though TT lost.

Worst was ASU. I have never seen so many fans try to start a fight after their team won. My favorite was the kid who gave me the parting line "welcome to Tempe, bitch". I told him I'd keep that in mind if their teams ever accomplished anything.

Had some little kids come up and laugh in my face after Hawkins blew big leads at Iowa State in '07 and the Kansas debacle. I just blew those off as I probably would have had the same joy myself if I were a kid that had to cheer for those pitiful programs. Plus I was still trying to process the fact D2 Dan managed to find a way to blow those games.

I have not felt the desire to travel to any of the other P12 venues outside of Tempe. Now I just travel to a random game once a year in the SEC/ACC to see those atmospheres as a fan that has no dog in the fight.

Last edited:
Stanford is tame. Wonderful tailgate scene, though. Palo Alto is a nice town and the fans pretty much ignore the opposing teams fans, which is fine by me.

Problems with Badger fans? Interesting. I was one of a few hundred CU fans that saw Neu’s first team destroy the Badgers 43-7 in 1995 in his opening game. I was with 2 locals that had no allegiance to the Badgers or CU. I had my CU gear on. Zero issues before, during, or after the game out that night. In fact, it was a night for the ages. Such a shame Neu couldn’t run a program. He took the keys to a Ferrari and turned it in to a Pinto in 4 years. How he got 2 more chances is unbelievable, but I digress.

We went to Ames in 1990 or 1991. So dang boring. I even had a hook up through a buddy from high school and got in to what was supposed to be the raging frat party after the game. Yawn. Just a waste of a trip. I felt sorry for those ****ers. Buffs won going away, so that was nice.

Can’t speak for Lubbock itself but we ran in to a large group of girls from Texas Tech when the team came to Boulder in 89 or 90. Those girls came back to Boulder twice more that fall. Does anyone blame them wanting to get out of Lubbock?

Tallahassee had some serious ‘roid filled frat assholes raging before the FSU game in 2003. I was semi-concerned for my safety before the game walking to the stadium as those jokers were out of their minds screaming profanity laced insults with intensity that is uncommon. They crushed us so badly, they just laughed at us that night at the bars, but honestly, I expect it was a totally different demographic. I’m sure those frat boys just went back to their house and partied there. Or passed out.

In Lincoln after 27-12 in 1990, a group of 10 of us or so went out and partied decked out head to toe in CU gear. In a bar standing around, you sort of end of mingling and it becomes less apparent how many of us there were. I personally had at least 6 drunk Husker fans come up and challenge me “How dare you think it is okay to be in here wearing that gear! You need to leave!” Really? It became standard operating procedure for us to then gather around and just say calmly (even in the drunken haze) “So why is it a problem for me to be repping my team when you are in head to toe red?” Realizing how many of us there were, suddenly it was no longer a problem. Pussies. Happened dozens of times that evening across many different bars across our group.

So welcoming, those Husker fans. Until they aren’t. Basically your typical internet tough guys.

Last edited:
Even though it's not college, I was in Baltimore once for a Broncos-Ravens game where the Broncos won, and as my friend and I was leaving (he's a Ravens fan), some loudmouth started accosting me, trash talking, challenging my manhood, all on a crowded sidewalk filled with foot traffic. To be fair, the other people around looked at him incredulously. I said "dude, what the hell is wrong with you?" And my friend, who's a judge--a judge!--physically pushed him away into the maddening crowd.

I have been to two games in Tempe and both times the fans were real dicks. First time after a big loss some older guy in his 60s was taunting my sister as we were walking back to her car. The second time it was the assholes behind us who kept touching me every play ASU did something positive. It's like they were making sure I was aware that we sucked which we did.

I've been to games at UCLA (2002), UofA and ASU. Had great experiences at all of them. At UofA, many people commented how much they loved Boulder and would have worn a CU shirt except the were attending with AZ fans. Umm, ok. You can actually see me in the stands of the 2014 game, 3rd quarter. I'm the lone yellow dot right by the band. Actually funny, I ran into a couple of people from high school that went to UofA that game, they only noticed me because I was the only guy wearing a yellow CU shirt in that handful of sections in the south endzone.

I've been to CU roadies at Washington, Oregon, Stanford, UCLA, Arizona (all pre-Pac 12), CSewe, Air Force, Texas Tech, Texas, KjSU, Kansas, Michigan (2), Michigan State, and UMass, as well as the Orange Bowl (3), Fiesta Bowl (2), Freedom Bowl (2), Bluebonnet Bowl (2). My personal experiences in all of those places have been neutral or positive. Worst thing that happened to me was a KU student stole my hat - came flying down the aisle, grabbed the hat and kept on going. It happened so fast that by the time I processed what happened, he was long gone. The couple sitting behind me (KU fans) felt bad so they bought me a CU pennant! Otherwise, pretty civil.

I've also been to well over 100 CU home games over the last 30 years, and I have to say, I've not encountered any bad behavior from either side - save a little trash talking from a few drunk students. All of the piss ballooning, marshmallow nail throwing, and granny pushing has somehow happened repeatedly outside of my sight.

I've always had great experiences going to CU vs aTm. Now there's an actual classy fanbase. Never had to buy a drink either weekend I was in College Station. They may be a weird cult, but they're a hospitably one.

Plus 1. They are weird, and I was at times concerned that I might be held hostage in a basement for cult initiation. But, that was a fun weekend in College Station.

I've always had great experiences going to CU vs aTm. Now there's an actual classy fanbase. Never had to buy a drink either weekend I was in College Station. They may be a weird cult, but they're a hospitably one.

Second this. Some of their traditions are a little out there.....but they're really, really cool people.

Best experience: Kind of surprised Kansas State hasn't made this list. I was out there in 1999. Very friendly people-generous with their food/tailgates. We lost that day, but the experience was awesome altogether, and they were more than classy (and very happy to point us in the direction of a good place to eat afterwards). That's a road trip I'd definitely make again when we play out there again in 2028 IIRC.

Worst: Rammie fan has to be on here for me-Went to a BYU-CSU game in college with a kid I went to high school with (and I told my Mormon friend I'd be more than happy to wear BYU gear if he wanted that day) and they gave it to us like none other. They suck when we play 'em, too. Took a girl I had been off and on with for a while to MacIntyre's first game as HC here, and she wanted to meet with some Rammie friends of hers to tailgate. I was claid in CU gear, and they treated me like I had the ****ing plague.

Fusker tends to be worse when they're here-but they were salty after LY (had to ask six times for basic things like drinks and salt and pepper from the restaurant we were at). Was sitting in the visitor section at Folsom (my buddy got these tickets) for Bill Callahan's finale in 2007. They were regaling me of stories of them being hit with piss balloons, nails, and batteries....having their cars keyed (basically Fusker being Fusker).....and then they started making fun of D2 and staff for three quarters (can't blame them there). The fourth quarter happens-and I remember spending the last 10 minutes GUSHING loudly about how great I think Callahan is and how they should extend him.....that was fun. No fanbase is more fun to mock.

I've been to College Station twice in my life in the spring time and have never had to buy a drink while I was at a bar in a Buffs shirt. One bartender just gave me free drinks all night.

Michigan was a good experience. That game a few years ago at the Big House, I was one of only a few Buffs in the area (and probably stadium), and we were whoopin em through the first half, no one even flinched at my cheering, they were more just “what the **** is happening”. ...and then of course the universe corrected itself and we ended up losing pretty good.

But the tailgating scene was fun and jovial, the atmosphere was great for CFB, stadium is big and bumpin, solid serious fans. No negative interactions whatsoever.

Stanford tailgates are not football tailgates. They are white tablecloth, white sweater draped over the shoulder, white wine sipping with a dangling pinky affairs.

God forbid you toss a football around or wear a school shirt or show any enthusiasm about football or your get the “you are droll” eye roll.

Stanford tailgates are not football tailgates. They are white tablecloth, white sweater draped over the shoulder, white wine sipping with a dangling pinky affairs.

God forbid you toss a football around or wear a school shirt or show any enthusiasm about football or your get the “you are droll” eye roll.

My Stanford CSB.

Before the game in Palo Alto in 2016, I’m having a coffee at some cafe just off campus. A Stanford fan sees my CU gear and tells me about how he was recently on a semester at sea voyage as a 40-something after he made his money on Wall Street. The CU kids on the boat invited him out to join them for drinks and social outings. So he has a soft spot for CU. He said he lived in Long Beach and flew up to the game to attend with his daughter, who he has custody over two weekends a month. He went into detail about how Google employees cash in stock options and buy Palo Alto real estate to diversify their portfolio. He was a classic humble bragger who came off pretty elitist and incapable of making a marriage work.

So when we were saying goodbye, he asked if I knew who Stanford was playing. It was funny watching the penny drop when I told him the Buffs were in town.

Clue-eew-ew-less.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even though it's not college, I was in Baltimore once for a Broncos-Ravens game where the Broncos won, and as my friend and I was leaving (he's a Ravens fan), some loudmouth started accosting me, trash talking, challenging my manhood, all on a crowded sidewalk filled with foot traffic. To be fair, the other people around looked at him incredulously. I said "dude, what the hell is wrong with you?" And my friend, who's a judge--a judge!--physically pushed him away into the maddening crowd.
I've seen that happen to opposing fans at Broncos games, too, unfortunately.

Back