What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Best CU QB-WR Tandem Ever?

Stewart to Westbrook by a mile. CU was primarily a running team and these two still killed people. Both players were athletic freaks of nature. Would love to have Montez to Shenault take this mantle over. They are a remarkably similar combo. Complete athletic anomaly at WR and a QB with special skills that is fatally flawed (Watching Stewart try and throw out routes was painful, watching Montez try and read a defense is painful).

If Buffs target one guy as in the past, We get same old, same old. If the O minds on the staff mean what they say, spread the ball to playmakers.

You must not have watched the games.
Lol, do tell how you watched all those games and came up with, in any scenario, Hawkins and McKnight as 'best qb wr tandem ever' in your mind.
Did I miss the sarcasm font? You're one of the best critics of talent on this board, and I'm honestly not sure how 'best' in the OP title doesnt mostly mean most 'talent and results'.

Stewart to Westbrook by a mile. CU was primarily a running team and these two still killed people. Both players were athletic freaks of nature. Would love to have Montez to Shenault take this mantle over. They are a remarkably similar combo. Complete athletic anomaly at WR and a QB with special skills that is fatally flawed (Watching Stewart try and throw out routes was painful, watching Montez try and read a defense is painful).

Westbrook had the biggest set of hands I've ever seen-I got a picture taken with him after we won at Texas in 1994 (week after the Miracle at Michigan). He's smiling for the camera with an arm around 8 year old me (who is looking at those hands like "Holy ****")

Lol, do tell how you watched all those games and came up with, in any scenario, Hawkins and McKnight as 'best qb wr tandem ever' in your mind.
Did I miss the sarcasm font? You're one of the best critics of talent on this board, and I'm honestly not sure how 'best' in the OP title doesnt mostly mean most 'talent and results'.
I feel as though you’ve answered your own question

I’m much older than the PRich era. I just remember him dominating even with really brutal QB play. If he had a good QB during his time at CU, he’d be an all time leader in yards/TDs.
There’s something to be said for always being the fastest guy on the field and having ridiculous hands. That one hand layout catch against Oregon comes to mind.

It was sarcasm.

After this season I'll say Montez to Shenault.

4 candidates for me, I would rank them this way. Included are the WR stats that year:

1)Kordell Stewart to Michael Westbrook ‘92 76 1060 8
2)Kordell Stewart to Charles Johnson ‘93 57 1082 9
3)Koy Detmer to Rae Carruth ‘96 54 1116 8
4)Steven Montez to Laviska Shenault ‘18 86 1011 6

Westbrook and Viska’s catch totals are a little inflated because both the ‘92 and ‘18 offenses used short pass plays as almost glorified run plays. The ‘93 team and ‘96 teams were more traditional offenses where CJ and Rae’s productivity was more traditional WR plays. All 4 WR’s completely dominated games which for me separates them from other big stat guys like Spruce or even P-Rich. Those two were great college WR’s but didn’t dominate like the 4 on my list did.

All 4 were pretty amazing and all will end up featuring a 1st round draft pick at WR. Kordell was a 2nd round pick and Koy played in the league for a decade or so. Who knows what the future holds for Montez but if he ends up with either Koy or Kordell’s NFL career, it will be because of a big SR year and that might vault the ‘19 version to the top of this list.

I can see a lot of the Westbrook love, but CJ > Westbrook.

But also, WR is just 1/2 of the equation, and Koy >>> Kordell as a passer. Koy was probably the best pure passing QB CU has ever had. So, given that information, it's hard to not put Koy to Carruth at the top of the list.

There have been better WRs at CU, but the gap at WR is not as big as the gap at QB, and Rae Carruth was an absolute joy to watch at CU. Sucks that he turned out to be a douchebag psychopath.

Back