What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bias against CU

RuffBuff

Club Member
Club Member
I'm wondering if his * rating dropped because he committed to CU? Didn't that happen with Viska?

This is such a fan thing to say but sadly with CU it really is true. I remember Mangham was a 4 star across the board and it was the middle of the off-season and he commits and all of a sudden he’s just below that ranking.
Mangham also committed as a RB. He was listed as an ATH, and most thought his upside was on the defensive side of the ball.

Far more CU commits have been upgraded than those who have been downgraded over the last several years.

Yeah I’m sure there are some, we’ll always notice the bad first though. But, it feels like if you commit to any “top 25” program you immediately become more valuable. If CU was Alabama how many of those high 3 stars would stay high 3 stars? There seems to be a bias.

Mangham also committed as a RB. He was listed as an ATH, and most thought his upside was on the defensive side of the ball.

I did not take this into consideration, i just notice the aftermath.

Far more CU commits have been upgraded than those who have been downgraded over the last several years.
But most upgraded have been either 2 stars or low three stars that had not been evaluated, and were made three stars or slightly higher three stars.

Regardless, as long as HCMT gets the right players for his system and wins I won’t care what star rankings we have. And if we win enough, our teams name will carry more weight with the recruiting services.

Just for reference. I just looked at 2 guys with no bias...Alabama RB Keilan Robinson, was 358 in June and committed and then finished 250. Huffman Dixon, started in the 200’s, dropped to 346 on January 15th 2019 and 565 On January 31st. Small sample size and could be total reaching but how does a guy drop 338 spots in his ranking? He coincidentally dropped 19 spots the day he came for his official in December and another 221 after signing here. Who knows lol.

It happens to every CU commit.
I know you’re being sarcastic here, but you have to admit that when higher rated players commit to CU, they often times end up receiving a downgrade in rating. The upgrades are when CU accepts commits from lowly rated players w/o P5 offers

I know you’re being sarcastic here, but you have to admit that when higher rated players commit to CU, they often times end up receiving a downgrade in rating. The upgrades are when CU accepts commits from lowly rated players w/o P5 offers

You know why CU fans notice it so much?

1. The number of highly rated players we actually have a shot at is a very small number.
2. Generally those guys have had some issues .
3. CU fans ignore when MWC level recruits get a nice P5 bump for committing to CU.

1. The number of highly rated players we actually have a shot at is a very small number.
3. CU fans ignore when MWC level recruits get a nice P5 bump for committing to CU.
I don’t disagree with any of that, but it doesn’t change anything about what I said

Please follow up with a favorable comparison of talent rating upgrades for CU commits versus commit upgrades at UT, ND, or Alabama.

I don’t disagree with any of that, but it doesn’t change anything about what I said

I guess I find CU fans complaining about rankings on a few players to be missing the point.

Recruit more elite players and it barely even registers as an issue.

Hell, there were plenty of fans firmly convinced that other schools waited to see if MM would offer a player before jumping in with an offer. Or that CU recruits just magically shut down all recruiting and never reported offers after committing. But somehow the issue is a bias against CU by recruiting services?

I guess I find CU fans complaining about rankings on a few players to be missing the point.

Recruit more elite players and it barely even registers as an issue.

Hell, there were plenty of fans firmly convinced that other schools waited to see if MM would offer a player before jumping in with an offer. Or that CU recruits just magically shut down all recruiting and never reported offers after committing. But somehow the issue is a bias against CU by recruiting services?
Oh I don’t think it’s just CU. I think it happens at all similar programs, just like the elite programs and even non-elite SEC programs get the BOTD from recruiting services. Its ranking validation for the services in the same way we use offer validation to judge our targets.

Oh I don’t think it’s just CU. I think it happens at all similar programs, just like the elite programs and even non-elite SEC programs get the BOTD from recruiting services. Its ranking validation for the services in the same way we use offer validation to judge our targets.

Sure. The problem takes care of itself if you land good players (and they are easy to spot).

Well this escalated quickly...I can’t say it doesn’t happen to every school I don’t give a **** about other schools and pay no attention really. I’m not saying it’s a “bias” but I’ve noticed it so it’s merely an observation to me. I’m not a conspiracy theorist so anyone who takes it that far is going overboard.

To your second point: look at a list of CU’s most highly rated recruits in the last twenty years. With a couple exceptions, it’s a list of whiffs. A long list, and a lot of them barely saw the field, if at all.

The recruiting sites didn’t exist when CU was knocking it out of the park, or even as the recruiting declined, leading up to ‘08 - probably the ultimate mulligan year.

Win again. No excuses will be needed.

I don't think it's true that our higher level commits that get downgraded have issues. For example off the top of my head this last class Mark Perry and Braedin Huffman-Dixon were downgraded. Maybe cherry-picking but those are 2 I remember - did they have issues?

On the bright side, a CU 2 star player like Bakhtiari becomes ALL PRO. Another 2 star player like Witherspoon becomes an NFL starter. Several low to mid 3 star players like Awuzie, Oliver, and Thompson also become NFL starters, and Lindsey wins Rookie of the Year and goes to Pro Bowl.

A lot of BUFFS get under rated. Alabama and the OSU can't send any 2 stars to the NFL because they don't have any 2 star recruits.

I don't think it's true that our higher level commits that get downgraded have issues. For example off the top of my head this last class Mark Perry and Braedin Huffman-Dixon were downgraded. Maybe cherry-picking but those are 2 I remember - did they have issues?

Huffman-Dixon transferred for his senior year and had to sit for some games, but made very little impact overall.

Huffman-Dixon transferred for his senior year and had to sit for some games, but made very little impact overall.
Weird circumstances but that could make him fall, relatively, so okay, that's one out of two for my admittedly ridiculously small sample size. Still, "generally had issues" seems like a pretty broad a brush. But I'm not asking for a synopsis.

No one here is capable of having a grounded discussion on this because no one has enough data to make a relevant argument.
Please follow up with a favorable comparison of talent rating upgrades for CU commits versus commit upgrades at UT, ND, or Alabama.

Please keep this kind of **** on the P&R forum. It’s annoying enough when you do it there.

On the bright side, a CU 2 star player like Bakhtiari becomes ALL PRO. Another 2 star player like Witherspoon becomes an NFL starter. Several low to mid 3 star players like Awuzie, Oliver, and Thompson also become NFL starters, and Lindsey wins Rookie of the Year and goes to Pro Bowl.

A lot of BUFFS get under rated. Alabama and the OSU can't send any 2 stars to the NFL because they don't have any 2 star recruits.

So- what you’re saying is...stars... don’t matter?

Back