What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Big rules change for lacrosse early recruiting passed by NCAA (Will other Olympic sports follow?)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
Just saw in a thread of the lacrosse forum I visit (http://network.laxpower.com/laxforum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=61768&st=0&sk=t&sd=a) that, EFFECTING LACROSSE only, NCAA Council Proposal 2016-26 just passed. Their coaches association supported the proposal, which per their announcement at www.laxpower.com/laxnews/news.php?story=52314 , is effective immediately.

Per http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...c_non_event/ncaa_council_positions_feb_17.pdf , this 2016-26 proposal was (and I assume new NCAA RULE is) -
"
In lacrosse, to specify that: (1) off-campus recruiting contacts shall not be made with an individual (or his or her relatives or legal guardians) before September 1 at the beginning of his or her junior year in high school and that contacts that occur during a prospective student-athlete's junior year may occur only at the prospective student-athlete's educational institution or residence; (2) telephone calls may not be received from an individual (or his or her relatives or legal guardians) before September 1 at the beginning of his or her junior year in high school; and (3) an unofficial visit with athletics department involvement shall not occur with an individual (or his or her relatives or legal guardians) before September 1 at the beginning of his or her junior year in high school.
"

Be interesting to see if and how quickly the rules for the other Olympic sports (and to a lesser extent basketball) might change, with especially volleyball and soccer also right now commonly getting commitments from young players EARLY in their high school, if not late in their middle school, lives.

Note- there was a comment in the lacrosse forum thread I linked to above that wondered if some kids might still commit early, with NCAA coaching staffs just using the players' club team coaches and other representatives as intermediaries to make offers and receive commitments. This seems like a loop hole that, IF it WILL exist and be used (???), would need to be plugged to really stop early commitment decisions which I assume is the intent of the new rule.

I think this is a good rules change. In all the Olympic sports, they're recruiting freshmen and sophomores. We're seeing 2020 commits right now. That seems crazy to me. I've got a buddy whose son has been committed to golf at LSU since he was a freshman in high school and is just finishing his junior year. That's normal, but I've never understood how or why it went that direction with Olympic. Football and basketball (M&W) are working on gaining 2018 commits right now and maybe they'll snag a 2019 while working on laying the groundwork for that class. And they'll be making some contacts for 2020, but not heating up with that yet. I think it's a good thing if Olympic starts following that model. 14 and 15 year olds being expected to commit to a college right now or risk missing out seems that it's the wrong approach both for the kids (too early to make a decision) and for the colleges (too early to know on academics and development).

Just noticed that, in the laxpower.com forum thread I linked to in the OP, the following clarifying letter was posted last Thursday by the College Coaches' Association (IWLCA) President. Just posting the full thing-

"
Clarifications About the New Div. I Recruiting Legislation

Last Friday, April 14, 2017 brought a major change in recruiting for our Division I men's and women's lacrosse coaches and prospective student-athletes ("PSAs"). The NCAA Division I Council passed a proposal that establishes September 1 of a prospect's junior year as the date when all recruiting contact can begin between a Division I lacrosse coach and a PSA.

This new legislation became effective immediately. Initially, there was some confusion as to the date when this rule would begin. The NCAA confirmed quickly that the new rule was final on April 14, 2017 (not April 26 or August 1).

Many questions have come up about how this rule will apply in various situations. As we seek further interpretation from the NCAA, we can confirm the following points unequivocally:

• Club and high school coaches may NOT be used to circumvent recruiting contact rules.

• Direct messaging to PSAs [Prospective Student Athletes] through these third parties is NOT permissible.

• Communication about verbal offers through these third parties is NOT permissible.

The IWLCA has been a leader in this effort to slow down early recruiting. The intent behind this legislation was to allow for PSAs to play the game longer and for coaches to evaluate them longer before engaging in the recruiting process. The vast majority of our coaches believe pushing back this process is better for the PSAs and for the sport in general.

I am excited that the NCAA heard our voices and allowed lacrosse to be a pilot program with this new rule. Change can be challenging, but change can also bring about tremendous growth and opportunity.

Special thanks to the IWLCA's NCAA Division I Legislation Committee, the IMLCA, US Lacrosse and the members of the NCAA DI Council for their hard work, commitment to improving college lacrosse, and courage to follow this vision.

Enjoy the game.

Alicia Groveston
President, IWLCA
"

Major points to me-
  • This rule change was effective immediately and
  • NO using 3rd parties (club or high school coaches, etc.) as go-betweens using ANY form of communication.

That was quite a strong move then. Unusual for the NCAA. I like it a lot.

This is HUGE. I was stressing about getting into the rat race with FightSon. He's in 8th now and there was pressure to start looking at the best camps to attend for looks. I am VERY happy about this

Back