What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Biggest problem with the team

This team accomplished a lot last year, they learned how to win and did it 10 times.

I wonder if they have now forgotten what it took to get there. Last year the focus was on winning, on team, on sacrifice. The team worked like they expected to have to earn everything they got.

How much of the problem is that they now believe they deserve to win without doing everything they had to last year to do it. Guys more worried about stats and press attention. They just don't seem as focused on doing what they have to do to win.

This team accomplished a lot last year, they learned how to win and did it 10 times.

I wonder if they have now forgotten what it took to get there. Last year the focus was on winning, on team, on sacrifice. The team worked like they expected to have to earn everything they got.

How much of the problem is that they now believe they deserve to win without doing everything they had to last year to do it. Guys more worried about stats and press attention. They just don't seem as focused on doing what they have to do to win.

Maybe we can stop making baseless speculations and just consider that the team lost some talent and has had some poor bounces in two very close games. They could be 5-1 without much changing. Let's see if the coaches and players can make some improvements.

Maybe we can stop making baseless speculations and just consider that the team lost some talent and has had some poor bounces in two very close games. They could be 5-1 without much changing. Let's see if the coaches and players can make some improvements.

Team did lose a lot of talent.

It didn't lose enough talent that we should have struggled with UNC and Texas State as long as we did. It didn't lose enough talent to put us at 0-3 in conference.

Fact is that this team isn't playing well right now. You can try to sugar coat it by calling it baseless speculations but the fact is we aren't seeing the same kind of fire and intensity from most of the team as we did last year. Certainly there are some individuals out there who are giving it everything they have plus but this team has an issue to solve that isn't just a matter of talent.

That I noticed from the post game interview. Is that nobody seems to care about winning anymore. Philip Lindsay at the podium says ...
What players say at a press conference, what they say in the locker room in private and what they think aren't always the same thing. Phillip Lindsay had a record-breaking night. Any other game (one without 100+ yards in stupid penalties) and Lindsay's performance might have been enough, even with the second string opposing quarterback playing out of his mind and body.
But Lindsay can't talk about his incredible night, because it would not be humble or appropriate, when tied to CU's loss. “I’d rather not talk about that right now,” Lindsay said. “At the end of the day we didn’t get the win.”
So you assume Phillip Lindsay didn't have a winning attitude? How the hell did you reach that conclusion?

What players say at a press conference, what they say in the locker room in private and what they think aren't always the same thing. Phillip Lindsay had a record-breaking night. Any other game (one without 100+ yards in stupid penalties) and Lindsay's performance might have been enough, even with the second string opposing quarterback playing out of his mind and body.
But Lindsay can't talk about his incredible night, because it would not be humble or appropriate, when tied to CU's loss. “I’d rather not talk about that right now,” Lindsay said. “At the end of the day we didn’t get the win.”
So you assume Phillip Lindsay didn't have a winning attitude? How the hell did you reach that conclusion?
He is a small, inebriated, bear from another continent. His reasoning, es ehhhh, not so good.

Damn cute tho'!

The "they need to want it more" spin is a bit of hyperbole. They just aren't the same caliber of team this year. Montez is legit if he can dial in the deep ball accuracy.

The loss of Carroll, SK, and Gilbert cannot be understated. Those were the difference makers on D compared to this season, unbelievable drop off this year at those positions.

Oh, and Eliot is terrible. That matters.

This is true but also confusing and deja-vuish. Didn’t we lose 2 OT games in 2014, and have several very close games in both years, and could have gone bowling with just one lucky bounce in several close losses? Yet we wound up with dismal W-L records. In 2016 we dominated most games we won - a lucky bounce v USC would have been nice-

I’d like to see a dominating win over OSU and enough improvements to win a few games without relying on incidents falling in our favor.

This is true but also confusing and deja-vuish. Didn’t we lose 2 OT games in 2014, and have several very close games in both years, and could have gone bowling with just one lucky bounce in several close losses? Yet we wound up with dismal W-L records. In 2016 we dominated most games we won - a lucky bounce v USC would have been nice-

I’d like to see a dominating win over OSU and enough improvements to win a few games without relying on incidents falling in our favor.
Actually we just pulled out the close games last year and I'm not sure why we can't this year.
41-38 at Oregon
10-5 at Stanford
20-10 over UCLA
27-22 over Utah

A great example of that the other night was the last 3rd conversion by Tate to end the game. 3rd and 7, he gets about 3 yards and Moeller comes from the outside and doesn't go for a tackle that would have given us the ball back with a minute to go down 3. How can a senior do that in that situation?

Actually we just pulled out the close games last year and I'm not sure why we can't this year.
41-38 at Oregon
10-5 at Stanford
20-10 over UCLA
27-22 over Utah

A great example of that the other night was the last 3rd conversion by Tate to end the game. 3rd and 7, he gets about 3 yards and Moeller comes from the outside and doesn't go for a tackle that would have given us the ball back with a minute to go down 3. How can a senior do that in that situation?
Seemed like the wins were easier...guess winning promotes optimistic memories.

I gotta be honest and realize I have a bias and probably shouldn't be commenting since I've got an injured son on the team. I won't trash anyone in particular but I will say this. (I'm going old guy on you here) In my day, I guarantee I would have been in 2-3 fights as an O - lineman during pass-pro and 9-7 against the 1 D-line. I would see it as my duty to beat the MAN into those guys. WE NEED NASTY, NASTY, DIRTY, SMART LINEMEN. Win or lose, you are going to have to prove you are worthy and step into the ring every friggin' day until you figure it out.
Teaching toughness without inflicting injury is the toughest thing I’ve grappled with as a coach. I’ve made mistakes as often as I’ve succeeded. The old school in me wants the fight. The pragmatist says I don’t want to lose a kid because I was trying to bring it out. I know colleges that use tire fights, and sumo drills to bring it out. I’m not sure there is a good answer, and it just may be inate. Regardless, I think you, as a very invested spectator, are at the heart of the issue.

Last edited:
I gotta be honest and realize I have a bias and probably shouldn't be commenting since I've got an injured son on the team. I won't trash anyone in particular but I will say this. (I'm going old guy on you here) In my day, I guarantee I would have been in 2-3 fights as an O - lineman during pass-pro and 9-7 against the 1 D-line. I would see it as my duty to beat the MAN into those guys. WE NEED NASTY, NASTY, DIRTY, SMART LINEMEN. Win or lose, you are going to have to prove you are worthy and step into the ring every friggin' day until you figure it out.

This is a good point and tough topic.

I don't know if you can beat toughness into guys anymore. Good coaches can channel it and encourage it but I don't know if you can teach it.

I do think it can come from within the team itself. A lot of very good teams have a few players, sometimes players who may not have been the top talent guys, who are on the team because of the attitude they bring, the tone they set.

The ideal of course is to have a guy who is both talented and driven, a guy like Naole. If you can't have that then it is worth a few roster spots to recruit guys who will see a tone, who raise the bar emotionally.

It also helps to have guys on defense who bring that same attitude. When you are practicing against guys like Beikert and Johnson and a whole list of others we had back in the winning days toughness was a survival tool.

We have some tough guys. Lindsay is a perfect example but we need those guys in the trenches setting a tone. That is something that RBs, DBs, etc. can't do.

As far as playing injured, it shouldn't happen. As a player, my biggest problem was deciding if I was hurt or injured. Hell, I really knew the answer. My coaches though, they never encouraged me to shut it down. The expected me to play. Looking back, I can see going out and playing. Regular games are the ones I regret the most, we beat that ass whether I played or not.

Back