What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bill Hempen out as CU Buffs soccer coach

My bad I didn't mean to hint that I knew something... I thought I had read they were planning on making a hire by the 16th

SANCHEZ IS A FANTASTIC COACH...dannys team's were some of the most disciplined teams i've ever seen play at any level and yes it was D2 but he built a dynasty in very quick order... this is a HUGELY positive hire

Looks like a good hire. But, I will say this... CU doesn't look very far for coaching hires. Lappe, Boyle, Sanchez... and even Embree to some degree

What's interesting to me is that when we talk about the coaching searches for other schools, we always bring up ties to the school or state as a reason why a particular candidate might make sense. But when we talk about our own CU searches, it seems like those ties get used as a negative. There goes Bohn, making another I-25 hire.

From what I know, I like this Sanchez hire.

What's interesting to me is that when we talk about the coaching searches for other schools, we always bring up ties to the school or state as a reason why a particular candidate might make sense. But when we talk about our own CU searches, it seems like those ties get used as a negative. There goes Bohn, making another I-25 hire.

From what I know, I like this Sanchez hire.
I can find you the perfect coach. Make your $250k check payable to one Mr. B Palazzo.

Looks like he brought his Wyoming assistants with him. Looks good on paper for continuity. I don't know about NCAA soccer recruiting but if there's any focus on that this time of year they should be able to get after it immediately.

BCS - answer me this: Can you tell me what it is about this guy (guys) that are so wonderful? Looking at his record at Wyoming, I'm not that impressed. Seems like he lost nearly as many games as he won. I'm the farthest thing from an expert in this issue, but I did take a minute or two to look at the guys bio.

BCS - answer me this: Can you tell me what it is about this guy (guys) that are so wonderful? Looking at his record at Wyoming, I'm not that impressed. Seems like he lost nearly as many games as he won. I'm the farthest thing from an expert in this issue, but I did take a minute or two to look at the guys bio.

wyoming was horrible before he got there i mean below .500 every year... that said most of what i saw was at metro.... his teams were tactically superior in every way vs every opponent, positionally sound, they played an exciting attacking style of soccer, they were incredibly disciplined and tight knit teams and metro hasnt been the same since he left

wyoming was horrible before he got there i mean below .500 every year... that said most of what i saw was at metro.... his teams were tactically superior in every way vs every opponent, positionally sound, they played an exciting attacking style of soccer, they were incredibly disciplined and tight knit teams and metro hasnt been the same since he left

I hope he realizes he's in the big leagues now. He won't be able to be tactically better than anybody in the Pac 12. He'll need to be both tactically sound and talented. He better know how to recruit. There's a lot of good girls soccer players in Colorado (Longmont in particular, for some weird reason).

I hope he realizes he's in the big leagues now. He won't be able to be tactically better than anybody in the Pac 12. He'll need to be both tactically sound and talented. He better know how to recruit. There's a lot of good girls soccer players in Colorado (Longmont in particular, for some weird reason).
tactics do matter in soccer but as for recruiting he did wonders at metro... he got some people at metro that unc had offers out to back in the day

tactics do matter in soccer but as for recruiting he did wonders at metro... he got some people at metro that unc had offers out to back in the day

My point is that the coaches he'll be going up against in the Pac 12 will be every bit as tactially sound as he is. Probably moreso in many cases. Hempen was tactially sound as well, from what I could gather. He won't be able to rely on that. If he's able to recruit, as you say he should be, then he'll do fine.

(I know this is old news, and that this seems like an okay hire to some of you...but...)

HEY, WHAT A SURPRISE! MIKE BOHN JUST HIRED ANOTHER GUY FROM THE GENERAL AREA! His hiring practices and candidate research must be outstanding.

...I for one still am annoyed that Hempen is out. I don't (and most likely none of us really do) know whether he was semi-forced out or not, but this guy is replacing a great head coach. He has very large shoes to fill. (Hempen was a great coach before CU in case some of you are thinking Hempen only had a handful years of solid play along with several mediocre/poor ones).

Talked to Anne Stuller tonight (One of the best talents on our team currently) and she said she absolutely LOVED the hire and all the players are really liking him so far. This is very encouraging to me, Anne has an amazingly high soccer IQ and if she is buying into what a coach is going with this early I trust her. Go Buffs!

(I know this is old news, and that this seems like an okay hire to some of you...but...)

HEY, WHAT A SURPRISE! MIKE BOHN JUST HIRED ANOTHER GUY FROM THE GENERAL AREA! His hiring practices and candidate research must be outstanding.

...I for one still am annoyed that Hempen is out. I don't (and most likely none of us really do) know whether he was semi-forced out or not, but this guy is replacing a great head coach. He has very large shoes to fill. (Hempen was a great coach before CU in case some of you are thinking Hempen only had a handful years of solid play along with several mediocre/poor ones).

oh shut up duke... i know you love hempen because hes a dukey...sanchez is a good coach and he is a very good fit... stop bitching about where he came from

Sanchez's ties to recruiting Colorado high schools cannot be understated either. We still need to recruit nationally but having the ability to recruit well in-state should still be a priority - especially in women's soccer since Colorado routinely produces top talent.

oh shut up duke... i know you love hempen because hes a dukey...sanchez is a good coach and he is a very good fit... stop bitching about where he came from

You accuse him of backing Hempen because he's a Duke guy, but many could accuse you of supporting the new guy just because he was at Metro.

/knows nothing about soccer

You accuse him of backing Hempen because he's a Duke guy, but many could accuse you of supporting the new guy just because he was at Metro.

/knows nothing about soccer
they could... absolutely... but im tired of the whole damn oh no bohn just looked up and down i-25 bs... if the right hire is right down the street it shouldnt matter if they where they came from

This is women's soccer. I have absolutely no problem with Bohn not doing a huge national search if there is a viable candidate nearby.

yes bcs...I ONLY love Hempen because of what he did for Duke...nothing at all to do with how he also rose CU's program from the fodder to conference contenders. He is a great coach that left big holes to fill.

So we have a struggling soccer program that once was very competitive...why not do a national search for a coach? I'm NOT advocating that Bohn and CU should have put a bunch of resources into this position, nor am I saying Sanchez is an unsuitable coach (as I said in my original post, he seems like a decent hire). Still, any coaching position needs to be taken seriously, particularly for a program that has established success (sans the last two years), and when we see I25 hire after I25 hire, it makes one wonder how much Bohn investigates potential candidates. I'm sure he took the hiring seriously, but did he find a good fit for the job or the BEST fit? How many people did he really look at?

This is an ironic position for me: His coaches not from the area (KMac, Hawk, Kritza) have struggled, and the I25 hires (Bz, TB, and Lappe) seem to be doing okay. Still, one of the primary jobs for an AD is hiring coaches. Bohn may kill it on fundraising, but I do question his hiring practices. (one example - I thought there were some equal/better candidates than Bz when he was hired...not a terrible hire...but it seemed like MB was too in love with the local guy. Bz did fine, but could CU bball be even better???).

I think you put too much stock in where the coach comes from... by the way how do you know he didnt... just because they end up being from the area doesnt mean he didnt reach out?

I think you put too much stock in where the coach comes from... by the way how do you know he didnt... just because they end up being from the area doesnt mean he didnt reach out?

I don't know he didn't. I guess I didn't convey this well enough - when one I25 hire is followed by another and then another...it just creates the feeling that Bohn isn't really doing his homework. The Bz hire, even though I'm a supporter of his, made me question Bohn's review of candidates. Then, the other hires followed. It's difficult to think that the BEST hires for these positions were all in our backyard. They might be suitable hires, but did Bohn really do a thorough job??... ...I think it's a legit question, and I even though I clearly ask it, I admit that the answer very well could be an astounding yes. The likelihood of it though... ....??

Anyway - good luck to Sanchez and I hope he builds on what Hempen built and get the program to where it hasn't been before.

dyemeduke,

Did you disagree with firing Hempen? Between the recent results and the ill will he had garnered with high school coaches in Colorado, I think it was time. I believe his key assistant left in the last year for a HC job, too, and that hurt a lot.

I guess I really don't have much of an issue in hiring local people. If the CU head coaching job is considered the pinnacle of thier carreer, then we should do what we can to foster that belief.

dyemeduke,

Did you disagree with firing Hempen? Between the recent results and the ill will he had garnered with high school coaches in Colorado, I think it was time. I believe his key assistant left in the last year for a HC job, too, and that hurt a lot.

Not really. Take into account that I'm a very casual fan of our soccer program. However, obviously also being a Duke fan, I knew of Hempen when he got here. And for us to ask for his resignation...it felt like Texas Tech asking Bobby Knight to resign. I'm NOT saying Hempen is anywhere close to Knight, but try to understand the comparison. CU Soccer was a doormat, great coach with great credentials comes in, builds the program up into a conference contender/playing in the NCAA tournament...and in our case, coach struggles a few years and is asked to step down? Didn't Hempen deserve a few years more?

I can't comment on his relationship with HS coaches, but I do find that odd, since some of his best players were local.

Back