What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bill McCartney diagnosed with late-onset dementia/Alzheimer's

That's a bad break. An insidious disease that doesn't just eventually take your life ... but in the process robs a victim of his very identity.

So sad and a terrible disease. My father in law is now in a facility because of it. Horrible on the family and so sorry for them. Peace Bill as you move thru this ordeal

CJ and Al were saying he recently got lost on the way home and that one reason for going public is so that people are aware and could potentially assist him if the occasion arises. He still goes on bike rides, walks and golf outings.

If he has started to get lost, it's best they went public. My aunt got lost in her car and a stranger did manage to get her home. It did scare her enough that she never drove again.

All the best to Coach Mac as he battles this. It's not easy to watch. Have not dealt with it in my immediate family, but aunts and uncles and parents of friends have had it.

I'm told you lose them twice. First when they no longer know you and then when they actually die. So sad.

This is tough news. Coach McCartney is a great guy. No one should ever have to suffer from this disease.

He and my dad had a lot in common as leaders when I headed to CU. Now they share memory loss diseases.

I decided to watch again The Gospel According to Mac. What an incredible person. God bless you, Mac.

Sad news indeed. As some members have mentioned that there parents (including mine) have been treated for Alzheimers / dementia it becomes a strain on the entire family. Mac & his family have my deepest sympathy.

Sad news.

To echo a lot of others here, my mother in law is dealing with it right now, and the toll it is taking on everyone, especially my father in law, is rough. I don't know who his primary caregivers are, but say an extra prayer for them.

Same disease took my Gpa. My prayers and thoughts are for him and his family. Put that guy on our shoulders out there this season and turn this program around in his honor. He deserves a good memory (while he still has it) of the program he brought a nat'l championship to. He was a heck of a inspiration for his family, team and community. Still have his autograph on my buffs shirt.

Man doesn't give up on life. It's the other way around.

Keep that fire, Coach Mac.

So thankful for all that Coach Mac has done for our community and school. I hope nothing but the best for him and his family going forward.

Back