What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bohn on CJ and Klatt..

That NU game last season was brutal. It was not fun. That sea of red on top of a 9th loss that provided book ends to the CSU and Toledo loss resulted in a very bitter taste. Retaining Coach Hawkins was simply adding insult to injury.

12% sounds about right. It'd be 15% if it weren't for the Pac-10 allignment and UGA game.

this year we almost didnt re-up for economic purposes... we even gave up our broncos tickets for the money... don't act like it isnt a huge part of the equation

It is a scapegoat for the CU AD. CU season tickets are nicely priced for the most part. I am not trying to be a dick and saying the economy has no effect on season ticket renewals, but does anyone doubt the -12% figure is looking better if the on-field results are better?

Broncos tickets are a different story entirely because they are expensive as ****. We sold a few games this year for the first time in a while. Plus their numbers are looking great anyway as far as season ticket renewals.

I don't understand the PAC10 argument for helping sell season tix. Is someone dumb enough to think we are playing that schedule this year? How does that help sell tix this year? Sure the year we actually make the move, then yeah, I can see a huge increase unless Dan is still around.

I don't understand the PAC10 argument for helping sell season tix. Is someone dumb enough to think we are playing that schedule this year? How does that help sell tix this year? Sure the year we actually make the move, then yeah, I can see a huge increase unless Dan is still around.

Rekindled excitement in the program. Desire to lock in good seats before the rush that will happen the 1st year we play a Pac-12 schedule.

Hardly enticing enough to pay money to see Dan coach football for a half dozen games.

I got tickets so I can enjoy tailgating followed by cheering on my favorite team. I also got them so I can yell at Hawk if necessary.

It is a scapegoat for the CU AD. CU season tickets are nicely priced for the most part. I am not trying to be a dick and saying the economy has no effect on season ticket renewals, but does anyone doubt the -12% figure is looking better if the on-field results are better?

Broncos tickets are a different story entirely because they are expensive as ****. We sold a few games this year for the first time in a while. Plus their numbers are looking great anyway as far as season ticket renewals.

So if someone fails to renew CU tickets it is because we suck but, donkeys tickets (who wrapped the season on a 2-8 run and traded away most of their marquee players int eh last 2 years) are because of the economy?

Look, clearly some people didn't re-up because of the on-field-product, some because of the economy and some for all kinds of combos in between. To argue it's all one thing or another is kinda stupid.

The tautological truth: if the product on the field was better season ticket sales would be better, bad economy or good.

Look, clearly some people didn't re-up because of the on-field-product, some because of the economy and some for all kinds of combos in between. To argue it's all one thing or another is kinda stupid.

The tautological truth: if the product on the field was better season ticket sales would be better, bad economy or good.

wholeheartedly agree, although conversely if the economy sucked less there would be more renewals as well.

So if someone fails to renew CU tickets it is because we suck but, donkeys tickets (who wrapped the season on a 2-8 run and traded away most of their marquee players int eh last 2 years) are because of the economy?

It could be. Depending on the location of the tickets at CU or in Invesco, you're talking a difference of $1,000 or more. That's not chump change.

The Broncos are just lucky enough to have a waiting list, regardless of the crappy recent seasons.

What was Klatt's record as a starting QB? What bowls did CU compete in with JK as starting QB? What was our rank? I seem to remember that we won some North Titles with him as QB but I am trying to remember his record of success before I decide how much credibility I want to assign to him. Thanks in advance.

What was Klatt's record as a starting QB? What bowls did CU compete in with JK as starting QB? What was our rank? I seem to remember that we won some North Titles with him as QB but I am trying to remember his record of success before I decide how much credibility I want to assign to him. Thanks in advance.

Thats exactly what I think when I hear Klatt has went off on another rant about the Buffs. The guy seems to think he was part of the glory days of CU football. Must have forgotten about the ass waxing at ISU, NU, and UT his senior year. He was a decent QB, but the fact that he was a walk-on starter says a lot about how far we had already fallen.

Thats exactly what I think when I hear Klatt has went off on another rant about the Buffs. The guy seems to think he was part of the glory days of CU football. Must have forgotten about the ass waxing at ISU, NU, and UT his senior year. He was a decent QB, but the fact that he was a walk-on starter says a lot about how far we had already fallen.
Let's be honest, it was a mixed bag with JK. But I will say this, when he was here and some weak opponent played the Buffs they whacked said opponent. That alone makes that version of the Buffs miles ahead of where we are now when teams like Toledo and CSU beat the Buffs. JK led Buffs generally beat the teams they were supposed to, and nobody else. They were the strongest of the weak sister north which isn't the greatest achievement, but again, freakin' light years ahead of where we are now.

I like listening to JK because he is as dissatisfied as I am with the program and isn't afraid to say it. Does he have the same credibility as CJ on the issue? Not by a longshot, CJ has a ring. Enough said.

I like listening to JK because he is as dissatisfied as I am with the program and isn't afraid to say it. Does he have the same credibility as CJ on the issue? Not by a longshot, CJ has a ring. Enough said.

I echo your points. Our teams were not the strongest in Klatt's days, but they were largely competitive. And they did beat the teams they were supposed to. Also, I think Klatt gets a little too much of the blame on those teams. He never really had much of anybody to throw the ball to by the end. We were down to possession receivers only. The run game was still pretty good, but was declining from the apex in 2001.

Klatt can be critical on the radio, but I absolutely love that he doesn't sugar coat anything. He should be upset at the performance of the program for the last 4 years. Let's just hope this year is different...

And CJ works with Ceal Barry, who was the Basketball coach when Mac coached football at CU. The SAME football program that Dan Hawkins coaches! Whoa! These similarities are getting scary. :smile2:

Chuckles Fairbanks coached that team. Hawk is very similaro to chuckles

There are quite a few ppl I know who have not renewed. And they always list this reason (sometimes there are others, but this is the common denominator): We suck. that is on Hawk.

Just anecdotal, I know, but thats what I hear every time. Ppl don't want to see a ****ty half ass effort product :huh:
Well, they can say "its because of Hawkins" all they want. My suspicion is that there are probably other reasons but it makes them feel better blaming Hawkins. That sounds way cooler than, "We just couldn't afford it this year" or "we'd rather watch them on TV."

Well, they can say "its because of Hawkins" all they want. My suspicion is that there are probably other reasons but it makes them feel better blaming Hawkins. That sounds way cooler than, "We just couldn't afford it this year" or "we'd rather watch them on TV."

Would you agree that losing 33 games over four seasons make the decision not to renew much easier?

Let's be honest, it was a mixed bag with JK. But I will say this, when he was here and some weak opponent played the Buffs they whacked said opponent. That alone makes that version of the Buffs miles ahead of where we are now when teams like Toledo and CSU beat the Buffs. JK led Buffs generally beat the teams they were supposed to, and nobody else. They were the strongest of the weak sister north which isn't the greatest achievement, but again, freakin' light years ahead of where we are now.

I echo your points. Our teams were not the strongest in Klatt's days, but they were largely competitive. And they did beat the teams they were supposed to. Also, I think Klatt gets a little too much of the blame on those teams. He never really had much of anybody to throw the ball to by the end. We were down to possession receivers only. The run game was still pretty good, but was declining from the apex in 2001.

Klatt can be critical on the radio, but I absolutely love that he doesn't sugar coat anything. He should be upset at the performance of the program for the last 4 years. Let's just hope this year is different...

I listen to JK and CJ every day at lunch, well, if I can. So I get about a half hour of them. First, they are really good together. There are a lot of funny exchanges. Joel is a funny guy. But, I have to say, he is walking a very fine line in his criticism of Hawkins and even Bohn. To me, he comes across as if he is trying to develop a kind of edgy radio personality. But he also runs the risk of burning some bridges with CU. I give Hawkins and Bohn credit for even going on the air with him although they probably did it for CJ who is much more guarded in his criticism.

I also thought JK made himself look kind of silly in the Hawkins interview. Before Hawkins came on, JK was kind of thumping his chest like he was going to be a badass. Then Hawkins came on and JK kind of soft balled it. I don't think it will serve him well if he keeps bashing the program/Hawkins on the air UNLESS the season goes down the tank. Then he can play the big badassed hero.

I also thought JK made himself look kind of silly in the Hawkins interview. Before Hawkins came on, JK was kind of thumping his chest like he was going to be a badass. Then Hawkins came on and JK kind of soft balled it. I don't think it will serve him well if he keeps bashing the program/Hawkins on the air UNLESS the season goes down the tank. Then he can play the big badassed hero.

I agree he is too harsh, but I certainly understand his frustration. You are right that he does come across as macho until he is actually talking to the people he is criticizing. He should tone it down a bit.

I agree he is too harsh, but I certainly understand his frustration. You are right that he does come across as macho until he is actually talking to the people he is criticizing. He should tone it down a bit.

Agree. JK has a ton of talent and I'd like to see him go well beyond a radio gig and occasional commentator job. He needs to be a little careful where he treads because things can come full circle. You should show a little respect to folks on the way up because you may need them on the way back.

it's not an admirable quality but the "i'm gonna light up this next guest" is certainly a sports radio ploy to get you to hold through the 14 minute commercial break. drives ratings, increases ad time value, etc.

Back