What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bohn secured increased funding of AD from the university?

Phenomenal news! If true, I am pleased that the university is finally back to supporting athletics. If the university shows support we will definitely see increased support from donors. This will have a snowball effect on the university as a whole. You invest in down times and it pays off in spades down the road.

Go Buffs!

this would be a huge start, do you know if the in-state kids get the in-state rate on scholarships?

Good question -- if someone knows the answer to this one, plz post it.

Let's play a little devil's advocate, here. Let's say that CU charges athletic scholarships at the out of state rate. With the states' current financial situation, what would that mean for CU? In this scenario, is it even doable?

It's something like that. But we're also looking at a revenue decrease. Season tickets for football are down. More importantly, exit penalties for leaving the Big 12 will reduce our conference revenue by at least 50% ($4-5 million).

The loss of season ticket revenue can be offset by selling more single game tickets. It won't be easy, and it's not a trend they want to see continue, but it can be offset. It can be reversed by sh*t canning Dan Hawkins, I should add.

yes this is horrible freaking news, it will never happen, dooooom!!!!!!

Oh wait if it doesn't happen we are right back here, and haven't lost a thing, and if only part of it happens then we are ahead, yeah this sucks I am going to cry about it.
You lose your tampons or something? I just don't get excited over these internet rumors anymore. Sorry if my opinion got your panties in a twist.

It was also confirmed on the Buffalo Chips internet radio show last night.
I believe they said they heard of the same rumor as well. Not sure how much of a confirmation that is.

Edit: I was wrong. Buffschips did confirm that the AD will bump up to 23% next season. I guess we'll all see how this goes, and then the Junta can fling all the poo at me as they want. :lol:

Last edited:
valdez,

It wasn't directed at you. Rising and Defektor didn't seem pleased about this and I figured others who hadn't posted were in the same boat to more or less degree. But I wasn't thinking of you at all when I posted that.

Edit: Just went back and re-read. I hadn't realized that abs was responding to you directly or that it was on something tangential to the original topic. Oops. Sorry for the confusion. I wasn't trying to get in the middle of you two.

valdez,

It wasn't directed at you. Rising and Defektor didn't seem pleased about this and I figured others who hadn't posted were in the same boat to more or less degree. But I wasn't thinking of you at all when I posted that.

In fairness I quoted Valdezj but I was speaking to all the negative nancies.

I am not great with the new math.

But if the University only paid about $2 mil to the athletic department previously -- and they are going to pump in $10 mil now, I trust our athletic department budget has just increased by $8 mil?

Obviously Dan saw that and now realizes that CU can afford the extension he deserves! No wonder he went public with it!

Oops. Sorry for the confusion. I wasn't trying to get in the middle of you two.

No sweat. I can see your point. I've just heard these rumors of big time $$ and how it's going to start coming to the AD since the Neuheisel years.

But you are correct on the budget increase, I hope you're right about the 50M as well.

No sweat. I can see your point. I've just heard these rumors of big time $$ and how it's going to start coming to the AD since the Neuheisel years.

But you are correct on the budget increase, I hope you're right about the 50M as well.

I've got no read on the $50 million. The truth seemed to be more like a number of wealthy boosters were being organized. The "50 guys at $1 million apiece" thing was a media creation. And that it may end up being more of an investment opportunity that benefits the program. One idea was a hotel & conference center on the creek and in conjunction with CU that could endow the AD as part of the plan. I don't know if there has been any progress. I don't draw enough financial or political water to be in the loop on something like that.

valdez,

Edit: Just went back and re-read. I hadn't realized that abs was responding to you directly or that it was on something tangential to the original topic. Oops. Sorry for the confusion. I wasn't trying to get in the middle of you two.

Yeah, I guess I am a little miffed at this whole news story. Sure, winning more football games means more money for the university, but my issue is with the timing of everything. Aside from the usual pre-1st game optimism, if there ever was a low point for our football team (strictly speaking on the field), it would be now. I say throw some money toward the AD AFTER there's actually some hint of better, more victorious times ahead. As far as I recall, Dan Hawkins is still our coach.

Coincidentally (or perhaps not), only about three weeks ago I got a call from the CU Foundation for the first time and I pledged $30 once I got my financial aid check (yeah, I love CU that much) for school out here in San Diego. Since I graduated in '07, I had envisioned a future where I would be regularly donating to the j-school and helping those kids who had the same interests in better informing the masses as I did. Now, I see that the athletic department is getting a nice bump in funding while my j-school is "discontinued."

Sorry if I take that as a slap in the face.

Yeah, I guess I am a little miffed at this whole news story. Sure, winning more football games means more money for the university, but my issue is with the timing of everything. Aside from the usual pre-1st game optimism, if there ever was a low point for our football team (strictly speaking on the field), it would be now. I say throw some money toward the AD AFTER there's actually some hint of better, more victorious times ahead. As far as I recall, Dan Hawkins is still our coach.

Coincidentally (or perhaps not), only about three weeks ago I got a call from the CU Foundation for the first time and I pledged $30 once I got my financial aid check (yeah, I love CU that much) for school out here in San Diego. Since I graduated in '07, I had envisioned a future where I would be regularly donating to the j-school and helping those kids who had the same interests in better informing the masses as I did. Now, I see that the athletic department is getting a nice bump in funding while my j-school is "discontinued."

Sorry if I take that as a slap in the face.

I just don't see the "J" school thing as being related to funding. It is a reaction to the changing world we live in. An overreaction, for sure. But it isn't because the school is short on funds. Personally, I think you should separate the two issues.

It's about time. Consider it seed money that will come back to the university in spades if the football program recovers from a decade of having factions in the community and the university trying to stamp it out.

The golden age of Gordon Gee may not come back, but a successful football program would be invaluable to the school.

Last edited:
I just don't see the "J" school thing as being related to funding. It is a reaction to the changing world we live in. An overreaction, for sure. But it isn't because the school is short on funds. Personally, I think you should separate the two issues.

Agree totally. They are reviewing the curriclum and trying to determine if there is a better way to approach the subject in a changing world. They are not discontinuing the J School as far as anything I have read or seen in the press. It has not even been determined that a change will be made at this point. The evaluations are ongoing with the results still yet to be reported. Who knows, there may be a significant committment to becoming a cutting edge school in the area and leading the way to the future. I think we need to hold off on condeming CU on this one. The University has had a proud tradition in the J School putting out quite a few of talented and well recognized personalities. I do not think they will just drop the program.

oh i'll be able to separate the two, it's just that they happened so close together. i would find your position more persuasive if CU was not 49th in state funding or whatever it is right now. and also, i know it may just be a sales pitch, but the student at the CU foundation was pretty adamant about how broke the university is and how much a donation would mean. Obviously, the foundation might always be saying that, but it still stuck in my head.

And from what I've been shown, Buffalo Brad, they are beginning the process of completely shutting it down. Sure, they might not go through with it, but from the letters I've gotten from the dean of the j-school and the chancellor, this is indeed the 1st step in a 2-4 year process. Granted, they may incorporate a large portion of the school's curriculum into this new proposed "school of information," but to me it nevertheless is still a sad and frustrating episode for me as well as all other j-school alum and students i'm sure.

oh i'll be able to separate the two, it's just that they happened so close together. i would find your position more persuasive if CU was not 49th in state funding or whatever it is right now. and also, i know it may just be a sales pitch, but the student at the CU foundation was pretty adamant about how broke the university is and how much a donation would mean. Obviously, the foundation might always be saying that, but it still stuck in my head.

And from what I've been shown, Buffalo Brad, they are beginning the process of completely shutting it down. Sure, they might not go through with it, but from the letters I've gotten from the dean of the j-school and the chancellor, this is indeed the 1st step in a 2-4 year process. Granted, they may incorporate a large portion of the school's curriculum into this new proposed "school of information," but to me it nevertheless is still a sad and frustrating episode for me as well as all other j-school alum and students i'm sure.

I don't blame you one bit for being pissed.

you are not going to like this answer, but the football team gives back so much more to the community and alumni than the J-school. Yes I understand that we need academics, but look how we all rally around the team and discuss the school. It gives us the common ground that we need and a connection to the school. So I would just relax and see what happens with the J-school and sit back and see that the increased support that the school is delivering to the AD is a really good thing.

NBDefektor,

I totally understand that you are frustrated. No one wants CU to close down the J School (or whatever it would be called after a re-organization). CU's pretty well known for it. Odds are it will just be a restructuring. Don't discount the fact that since it is the "journalism" school, that it's likely the profs/administrators there have good contacts in the media, were able to use them to get ahead of the story, that even journalists with no connection/affiliation will have their sensitivities aligned with the J School, and what has been reported is likely slanted to support the "save the J School / don't make us change" agenda. I honestly don't believe we're looking at a doomsday scenario for journalism education at CU. Far from it, in fact. I think the restructuring will better prepare CU graduates for the modern media world.

I've got a question here....

When we go to the Pac-12, and the extra money we're all pretty sure we'll get there starts rolling in, does it go straight to the AD or into the University's coffers? Is there any possibility that the extra $10 million a year (or whatever) that Bohn supposedly has the University committed to mostly just represents the extra money we'll be getting from the 12-Pac over what we're now getting from the Big XII?

I'm guessing no, at least up front, if the rumors are actually that the University is going to start that extra funding now and that extra Pac-12 money may be going to pay off our Big XII buyout for at least a couple years. But just a question that occurred to me this morning.

Dear Colleagues:

As you may be aware, program discontinuance proceedings have been initiated for the School of Journalism and Mass Communication.

Organizational responsibility for program discontinuance falls to a specially empanelled campus committee consisting of the members of the Academic Review and Planning Advisory Committee (ARPAC), the Associate Vice Chancellor (AVC) for Graduate Studies, the AVC for Undergraduate Education, the Vice Provost for Budget and Planning, and the Vice Chancellor for Diversity, Equity, and Community Engagement. These individuals constitute the campus Program Discontinuance Committee. The committee has sixty days to complete its work. It must gather information around a set of issues indicated by the Board of Regents. The committee meets with faculty, staff, and students. They issue a report to the provost which includes a recommendation for or against discontinuance. Please refer to the following link for details regarding these proceedings:

http://www.colorado.edu/facultyaffairs/atoz/AA_Program_Discontinuance_Policy_Signed_2005.pdf

We know that many of you may have questions or concerns regarding the process and what it will mean for the School of Journalism and Mass Communication. The Program Discontinuance Committee wishes to hear from you. Two meetings open to university faculty and staff have been scheduled for next week. Both meetings will take place in the University Memorial Center (UMC), Room 235.

Tuesday, September 7: 12 noon - 1:30 p.m.
Wednesday, September 8: 12 noon - 1:30 p.m.

Doors will open at 11:45 a.m. Discussion will begin promptly at 12 noon and run until 1:30 p.m.

We encourage everyone to contribute to this important conversation.

Here is the official release so far.

Back