What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Boyle ranked #34 in Top 50 College Coaches

Once again, spot on. Like any other profession, you usually work your way up. They aren't just going to hand you the keys to the Kentucky basketball program without seeing how you've done in a lesser situation.

They kind of did with Billy Clyde and it was a catastrophic

It's fair. It's a bit of a flavor of the month ranking, it seems, but a guy with 1 Big Dance win can't be any higher...

Seems about right. I'd argue Tim Miles probably shouldn't be above Tad, although he has done a good job both at Nebraska and CSU. Surprised John Thompson III isn't higher on the list.

Scott Drew shouldn't even be on the list.

Seems about right. I'd argue Tim Miles probably shouldn't be above Tad, although he has done a good job both at Nebraska and CSU. Surprised John Thompson III isn't higher on the list.

Scott Drew shouldn't even be on the list.
They made the Final Four in 2007, but he's won TWO Tourney games since then at a pretty good school.

I think the ranking is about right, but like others have pointed out, Miles shouldn't be ahead of him. Remember that Tad was the fuskers first choice. They "settled" for Miles after Tad turned them down. Miles is a good coach, but not in Tad's league.

They made the Final Four in 2007, but he's won TWO Tourney games since then at a pretty good school.

Yeah, but he's had a lot of regular season success too. I know the tournament is where coaches earn their reputation, but don't think you can completely throw out what he's accomplished during the season.

Yeah, but he's had a lot of regular season success too. I know the tournament is where coaches earn their reputation, but don't think you can completely throw out what he's accomplished during the season.
I need to rethink my evaluation of Marty Schotteinheimer.:rofl:

It shouldn't be totally disregarded, but the name of the game is to get far in March (April). If were putting regular season in the discussion more, Tom Izzo goes down a notch.

Yeah, John Thompson being on there is questionable. Some serious underachieving in March lately, and fair or not March is make or break.

My first reaction was that he's too low, but after looking at the coaches ranked above him on that list it seems about right.

Personally I'd move Randy Bennett up that list.

There's 351 men's basketball programs, if Tad is 34, he's in the top 10% of all coaches, not bad. I have a bit of an issue with them putting the Mercer coach in it on basically one win.

There's 351 men's basketball programs, if Tad is 34, he's in the top 10% of all coaches, not bad. I have a bit of an issue with them putting the Mercer coach in it on basically one win.

Mercer has routinely been one of the better small school programs....the win over Duke was the highlight win for him

Mercer has routinely been one of the better small school programs....the win over Duke was the highlight win for him
That was their first Tourney appearance in 30 years, I have a hard time seeing him crack the next 25 if they don't beat Duke. They have one NIT appearance and a CIT one. He's had a good three year stretch. He didn't fare too well at Texas–Pan American Broncs, looks like he was good at Oklahoma Baptist (at the NAIA level).

Here's 24-19

[h=3]No. 24: Bob McKillop, Davidson[/h]
[h=3]No. 23: Greg McDermott, Creighton[/h]
[h=3]No. 22: Tommy Amaker, Harvard[/h]
[h=3]No. 21: Larry Brown, SMU[/h]
[h=3]No. 20: Thad Matta, Ohio State[/h]
[h=3]No. 19: Jay Wright, Villanova[/h]

He's already had that "bigger" job, quality of life matters.

he was fired from Michigan, they paid him $900,000 to go away. It't not like he decided that the stresses of the big 10 were too tough for him and that he wanted a low stress ivy league job.

Based on recent success against Dawkins and Amaker, CU needs to schedule Duke ASAP.

I'd take our chances at Cameron and their 110-game non-conference home win streak as a one-off. Tad owns Blue Devil coaches.

he was fired from Michigan, they paid him $900,000 to go away. It't not like he decided that the stresses of the big 10 were too tough for him and that he wanted a low stress ivy league job.
I know he was fired. Just maybe he likes his situation now? Maybe, it take a lot for him to leave? The "grass isn't always greener on the other side" as they say.

Based on recent success against Dawkins and Amaker, CU needs to schedule Duke ASAP.

I'd take our chances at Cameron and their 110-game non-conference home win streak as a one-off. Tad owns Blue Devil coaches.

You know, Marquette and Northwestern would be a fun road swing weekend in November in lieu of a tournament.

its his team now..... the players were all recruited by Boyle. Right now I have to admit that #35 might be generous.

Let's see how the rest of the season plays out and revisit this. It's been a tough year but not over yet.

its his team now..... the players were all recruited by Boyle. Right now I have to admit that #35 might be generous.

you're probably right, he really needs to do a better job of projecting which top 100 guys are going to get back spasms and sprain ankles.

Never like these kind of rankings. Is the person who did this knowledgable enough to make a list or is it a "who's who" of coaching?

you're probably right, he really needs to do a better job of projecting which top 100 guys are going to get back spasms and sprain ankles.

Weak argument. We lost five non-conference games even with those guys and it was hardly that difficult of a non-conference schedule. These injuries also wouldn't matter quite so much if we had better depth-Tad is in charge of building the roster. Injuries are also not unique to Tad Boyle, every coach has to deal with them.

Back