What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Boyle, "We would have signed six"

I think with Boyle, you will never see him recruit many big men. A couple just to be able to bang down low, but I feel his whole gameplan is built around long quick guards. Simular to Turgeon (Who is going to be putting dook in its place in the upcoming years just as Gary did), I believe this is what Boyle's gameplan will always be.

...well at least we have our Buff-love in common, because please...bull ****. Look, I've been a fan of Turgeon for a long time, and although I hate Maryland, I liked Gary Williams a lot. The way fans treated him was a joke, and I can't stand turtle fans even more due to their fickle, over-emotional, bitter attitude towards Gary. He was a great coach, and while I wish the best for Mark Turgeon as a coach, I hope he leaves college park for greener pastures soon. Maryland fans don't deserve Mark Turgeon. (and Gary didn't put Duke in their place...unless you mean lost more to Duke than won...I really don't know how Gary put Duke in their place...yes, Duke did do very well while Gary was coaching in the ACC...)

Not reading all the posts. Tad is saying, "if you want on the wagon, better get on now. 'Cause I'm taking the best first. Not the best last. Or some such ****. Anyway, if you want on the band wagon, better jump on when you have a chance. And this ****ing wagon is rolling out of town, mother ****ers!

...well at least we have our Buff-love in common, because please...bull ****. Look, I've been a fan of Turgeon for a long time, and although I hate Maryland, I liked Gary Williams a lot. The way fans treated him was a joke, and I can't stand turtle fans even more due to their fickle, over-emotional, bitter attitude towards Gary. He was a great coach, and while I wish the best for Mark Turgeon as a coach, I hope he leaves college park for greener pastures soon. Maryland fans don't deserve Mark Turgeon. (and Gary didn't put Duke in their place...unless you mean lost more to Duke than won...I really don't know how Gary put Duke in their place...yes, Duke did do very well while Gary was coaching in the ACC...)

I was raised to hate dook, funny story, but when I was in High school looking at colleges my parents told me "You can go wherever you want to go, except Duke", thinking they were joking, they got really serious and said "No we are serious, you will not be going to Duke". I thought it was funny, Duke wasnt even somewhere I would think of going. Anyway, I am happy with my decision that I made to go to CU.

Speaking of that, coming from a big college basketball family, and then coming to CU in the Patton days, I was pretty disapointed, although we had decent team (crappy coach), there was just no support. Luckly I left when Bz came in, then came back for his last year, and the past 3 years its amazing what the program has become. From a "fringe" sport that a few watched because the football program was so bad, to being a legit program that lots of people support. I am very excited about the upcoming years.

Back to dook, how was Belmont last night...

let's not overlook the importance of landing top 150 recruits...that's how it works in hoops. you got to have guys like that on your roster. that's the game in hoops these days if you want to even think about the first weekend of the NCAA. even though KSU is our bitch and Drew is probably dirty, look at the resurgence of KSU hoops or the "surgence" of BU hoops? that's all recruiting. Drew did inherit Curtis Jerrells maybe, and he was a player i liked a lot...but, Drew is getting guys to BU that boggles the mind really. They had two years ago national champ Duke on the ropes two years ago. if Drew vs. K wasn't such a mismatch?

we used to wet ourselves (myself included) when we sign a top 150 guy like Toby Veal or Dale Vanwright ('sup Sweller?)...now, we are starting to think bigger. i like it.

Last edited:
I didn't say we stopped recruting Artis I said that Tad didn't "like" Artis so he decided not to pursue him which was a report from Buffscoop I belive and I found it strange that he would like Talton but not Artis.
I think the only one who didn't like Artis was Wallace. He scratched his Oregon visit once they started pursuing Artis, and I'm sure would've done the same here. So, TB and Co. played the odds- they had a legit shot with Wallace, but were longshots at best for Artis. They went after the guy they felt they had a better chance of landing, even though they ultimately missed out on both. Had Wallace already ruled out the Buffs, I'd be willing to bet they would've made a strong push for Artis.

I was raised to hate dook, funny story, but when I was in High school looking at colleges my parents told me "You can go wherever you want to go, except Duke", thinking they were joking, they got really serious and said "No we are serious, you will not be going to Duke". I thought it was funny, Duke wasnt even somewhere I would think of going. Anyway, I am happy with my decision that I made to go to CU.

Speaking of that, coming from a big college basketball family, and then coming to CU in the Patton days, I was pretty disapointed, although we had decent team (crappy coach), there was just no support. Luckly I left when Bz came in, then came back for his last year, and the past 3 years its amazing what the program has become. From a "fringe" sport that a few watched because the football program was so bad, to being a legit program that lots of people support. I am very excited about the upcoming years.

Back to dook, how was Belmont last night...

...yeah, I just became a Duke fan for various reasons no one cares to hear...but I do understand why SOME people hate Duke...I do hate ND football...hypocritical but whatever.

Man, Belmont is a good team. Say what you will about Duke fans, but they are pretty bball knowledgeable. No one was thinking Belmont was going to be a cakewalk, and that team proved to be everything as advertised. If they shot the ball better, they would have won. I'm really impressed by them, as I always have been with them. When it comes to tourney time, watch out for them as a potential bracket buster (maybe not winning two games, but the first round, definitely depending on how they get matched up).

CU bball is doing great right now, and you're right, the difference is pretty amazing. I went to only one game last year, and it was great to see the fan support. The fans even had organized cheers. For me, 2002-03 was the best year, because we upset KU, UT, OKSt, at home, with KU and UT particularly satisfying wins. We had a lot of fan support that season, because that team was going dancing. However, you're right - the fan support was very temporal, and the support itself, while enthusiastic, was not too invested in the team. It's great to see the improvement over the years.

Mick - Drew is dirty. I used to really be impressed by the resurrection over there, but Drew has been known to be dirty for many years now. It's going to keep going - Drew will get smarter about it, but I think the NCAA will be forced not to turn a blind eye eventually. I hate Baylor now.

...yeah, I just became a Duke fan for various reasons no one cares to hear...but I do understand why SOME people hate Duke...I do hate ND football...hypocritical but whatever.

Man, Belmont is a good team. Say what you will about Duke fans, but they are pretty bball knowledgeable. No one was thinking Belmont was going to be a cakewalk, and that team proved to be everything as advertised. If they shot the ball better, they would have won. I'm really impressed by them, as I always have been with them. When it comes to tourney time, watch out for them as a potential bracket buster (maybe not winning two games, but the first round, definitely depending on how they get matched up).

CU bball is doing great right now, and you're right, the difference is pretty amazing. I went to only one game last year, and it was great to see the fan support. The fans even had organized cheers. For me, 2002-03 was the best year, because we upset KU, UT, OKSt, at home, with KU and UT particularly satisfying wins. We had a lot of fan support that season, because that team was going dancing. However, you're right - the fan support was very temporal, and the support itself, while enthusiastic, was not too invested in the team. It's great to see the improvement over the years.

Mick - Drew is dirty. I used to really be impressed by the resurrection over there, but Drew has been known to be dirty for many years now. It's going to keep going - Drew will get smarter about it, but I think the NCAA will be forced not to turn a blind eye eventually. I hate Baylor now.

there's been enough "Drew is dirty" rumors on OSU, UT, OU, ATM boards for a few years now to not think something is up...

anyway, in 02, not too many teams can claim to have beaten half of the Final Four teams....CU could. like i've posted a 1000 times. Morandais makes a FT at Nebraska and we are out of that Izzo matchup in the first round. we are playing some halfwit 10 seed LaSalle team or Winthrop or some 19 win SEC also ran. nobody you want to play less in the NCAA than a reg season underachieving MSU/Izzo team. not to mention that an Izzo team v. Ricardo hustle D and rebounding is a mismatch from the get-go.

You know who came out of belmont...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricardo_Patton

Also, you should make it to more CU games this year, its a pretty good time

I suppose both methods work, depending on situations.

If you're an established bball program, bankin a 'ship or 2 is viable. You probably have a good idea who will leave early, and when. So you take some hi-profile recruits this year but leave a slot or more open for next year, knowing full well you'll be in the hunt for upper echelon players again.

If you're trying to get to the promised land, I suppose you go for as much talent possible now in order to try to quickly and drastically change your fortunes. Yes, attrition for various reasons has happened seemingly every year at CU, so I suppose a coach has to consider that. I think the programs trying to climb the ladder need to take good players while they can -- you have to have some way to skip a couple of rungs so you can compete sooner rather than later.

Either way, one thing that really strikes me ...... Boyle seems to have a plan. Buckle up! This is gonna be a fun ride.

There is your issue you lack perspective. "Report from buffscoop" should be taken with a huge grain of salt. He's been a lot better lately (and yung seems to be a decent guy) but AZ's not below flat making **** up so he's the only one with the "scoop" or to further his agenda. Look no farther than his "accidental" tweet about Cain realize college costs money so he's reluctantly back on the team.

AZ didn't report anything regarding basketball scoop. It was me, and accurate at the time of posting as far as I know. As I've posted on here multiple times, CU had an "in" with Artis and figured to be very involved with him. Over the course of a week, that tune changed. Boyle decided that he liked Wallace better and was going to put in 100% effort into Tyrone's recruitment.

Also, yes, we did stop recruiting Longrus (I know this wasn't your post, just saving time by combining these two in mine). Boyle liked Jenkins more than Longrus and decided to take Jenkins' commitment. Right after that happened, CU dropped Longrus.

Last edited:
Also in regards to the schollies, I am conflicted. You bank Talton's then you have more flexibility next year. But if you really believe and trust your evaluation of him, then you have to take who you think can help your program. That's really the issue here. Next year is an unknown and I don't see the staff having an NIT birth to sell. So you have to say, can Talton help the program? If you as a staff believe he can, then you can't afford to strike out next year and miss on someone you valued.

And I just realized that my post before last came off incredibly self righteous...please ignore the tone!:thumbsup:

I'm going to defer to the staff here regarding banking schollies because they probably have a better pulse on who they have a shot at in 2013 and what the likelihood of any attrition is. That said, if you take a project guy this year over a guy who could come in and get significant playing time immediately the following year, you aren't really doing yourself any service (plus, you're wasting the AD's money/could be giving that scholarship to a walk-on who earns it). I do think while we are in on some great players for 2013 right now, the way this season goes could end up really hurting us with those guys. We are a program on the rise, but at the same time we lost 80% of our scoring from last year and just simply won't be as good this year as last. That's going to hurt our recruiting efforts regardless of how great of a job the staff does recruiting.

I have to agree with Boyle and dont trust the Basketball Rankings much, I really think that Basketball Rankings look at the top talent, guys who have a ton of publicity around them. That publicity from people talking them up, or they play for schools that are big in the national HS Basketball scene. When you go to some smaller schools, guys are just not that well known, and get generally lesser rankings. I think this is because of a few reasons.

1. A mediocure talent guy can put up 40pts against bad competition (wasnt there some Boulder kid that was doing that last year?), yet a talented guy wont put up that many more points, but you have to look at how they are scoring to realize they are the real deal. This is because in High School if you are able to do one thing pretty well, a team can exploit it. In college you cannot rely on just ok shooting, or being a big guy.

2. Although High School scouting is getting bigger while we are in the ESPN days, if you want to go see talent you are going to go see two top schools play to see the top talent. People are not going to back woods schools to see some kid blow away the compition, unless the word gets out on them being really good, and somehow the hype gets out on them.

3. Same as the NBA take potential opposed to pure talent, Boyle seems to be doing a lot of the same. I tend to see that most of the national rankings talk about how good a kid is now, not how good they could be. A 18-19 year old kid is going to be closer to the end of his physical development than a 16-17 year old kid when you are looking at Seniors. If you notice I believe both Talton and Jenkins, I believe they are both a young 17, and Boyle is taking the gamble that they are still physically developing. Simular to Burks/Dinwidde

This all said, getting guys with high national rankings are much safer recruits, but to win big, you have to take gambles, we are not a Kentucky type school that can bring in a half dozen 5 star guys every year.

Back