What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Boyle's contract

What should be done with Boyle's contract?

• Nothing

Votes: 43 49.4%
  • New long-term deal

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • 1-year extension with some bonus

Votes: 37 42.5%
  • Bring back Ricardo

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
No contract moves now. It makes CU look like the ugly bridesmaid that can't believe somebody asked her out.

Look, when Bzdelik dumped us we all knew the next coach had the chance to be a really good team here. With Burks & Higgins back, I thought great coaching might get us to the tourney.

Boyle gave us ... really good coaching. I can't say "great" because of the 3-4 embarrassing losses peppered through the season. But I also can't blame him for some of those losses because he barely knew these guys when we lost to USF (and other early ones I've forgotten.)

The league losses against ATM, @NU, @OU, and @ISU. Still bug me. Two of them I could forgive. But we had those fine road wins against KSU and TTU. So in "bubble games" we were 2-4. I can't call that "great coaching".

(I always expect to beat UT at home, except in years that they have Kevin Durant and we have a wrist-cutter for a coach.)

Nothing on the contract yet. Boyle would scratch his head if we did that.

PS, doesn't he have a nice incentive for making it to the NIT, more for winning it? I thought the word "incentive" meant ... nevermind.

Last edited:
Boyle's base (guaranteed) contract is $590,000 per year.

He gets bonus money (incentives) for the "academic progress of student athletes: ($34,000) ; for the "welfare and development of student-athletes" ($33,000); for the "development of the basketball program outreach and culture" ($33,000); for "winning records", as well as tournament participation and wins (up to $250,000); and an extra $250,000 if the Buffs win the NCAA championship.
(source = http://www.buffzone.com/ci_14942424)

So -- assuming Boyle gets ALL of his bonus money EXCEPT for the NCAA championship bonus - that means he makes only $940,000 for this season. (Not bad pay, for sure)

Consider the fact that Oklahoma was paying Jeff Capel $1.55 million in BASE SALARY, and with incentives he could have made $1.75 million -- and the fact that Arkansas just hired Mike Anderson to the tune of $2.2 - $2.6 million per year -- if a school (any school) comes calling with that kind of money, CU is going to have to "up the ante" to keep Boyle around.

Boyle's base (guaranteed) contract is $590,000 per year.

He gets bonus money (incentives) for the "academic progress of student athletes: ($34,000) ; for the "welfare and development of student-athletes" ($33,000); for the "development of the basketball program outreach and culture" ($33,000); for "winning records", as well as tournament participation and wins (up to $250,000); and an extra $250,000 if the Buffs win the NCAA championship.
(source = http://www.buffzone.com/ci_14942424)

So -- assuming Boyle gets ALL of his bonus money EXCEPT for the NCAA championship bonus - that means he makes only $940,000 for this season. (Not bad pay, for sure)

Consider the fact that Oklahoma was paying Jeff Capel $1.55 million in BASE SALARY, and with incentives he could have made $1.75 million -- and the fact that Arkansas just hired Mike Anderson to the tune of $2.2 - $2.6 million per year -- if a school (any school) comes calling with that kind of money, CU is going to have to "up the ante" to keep Boyle around.

Thanks for the summary, Slade.

If we could have it the way we want it, Boyle would coach this team to the NCAA tourney next year in what is expected to be a rebuilding year by many fans. Then, with all the media contracts for the Pac-12 known and the revenue projection/budget known for the 2012-13 academic year, we can extend Boyle at that time.

But as the old Hebrew saying goes, "Men plan. God laughs."

We need to be prepared to react to whatever is thrown at us to ensure that Boyle is our long-term coach.

Thanks for the summary, Slade.

If we could have it the way we want it, Boyle would coach this team to the NCAA tourney next year in what is expected to be a rebuilding year by many fans. Then, with all the media contracts for the Pac-12 known and the revenue projection/budget known for the 2012-13 academic year, we can extend Boyle at that time.

But as the old Hebrew saying goes, "Men plan. God laughs."

We need to be prepared to react to whatever is thrown at us to ensure that Boyle is our long-term coach.

You say this now. But we were the same way with John Pelphrey after his first year at AR. I think Boyle is a good coach, but let him do it for a couple of years with his own guys first.

You say this now. But we were the same way with John Pelphrey after his first year at AR. I think Boyle is a good coach, but let him do it for a couple of years with his own guys first.

agree. i think we are good with Tad, but let's make a guy prove it with his guys before we clown up the money.

Hawkins talk off the board. let's not get ahead of ourselves again. though, that seems like a permanent feature of AB, Buff fans. we are always the best. and so many new basketball experts posting.

we are going to the Pac 10, OMG those teams have always been so great and full of awesome-ness. UT runs everything in the Big XII. too bad CU revenue sports have been crap the last decade....yet we complain about being mistreated.

really?

Back