What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bright spots for 2018: Are there any?

I wonder how many transfers will happen if the team chemistry is as bad as it appears. And I’m not talking players buried on the depth chart. I’m worried about some of the young talent starting to think they made a poor choice.
Been thinking about this since the first game of the season.

Mentioned in a different thread...HCMM has a blueprint in the form of Brian Kelly. Bottom line....complete overhaul of coaching staff.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/03/08/brian-kelly-notre-dame-fighting-irish-changes

Sustainable Excellence is a banner that Rick George has been flying to build facilities.

2016 looks like a one-hit-wonder.
This boom-bust cycle isn’t really in the sustainable excellence value proposition.

While HCMM’s blue print will be interesting to see put into action, it’s RG’s design plan for sustained excellence that grabs the attention and wallets of CU’s athletic benefactors.

Need to establish some sort of momentum, any, for nxt season.I don't see a bowl in the cards this season. I hope so, but man we sure have regressed. No big play ability since?? These slow 14 play methodical drives (vs osu)are great when you win, not when thats the best you can do to just stay in the game.

I'm siding with those worried about recruiting. We can't take as many guys that might develop. It's gotta be difference making guys from football states. I get Montez is from Texas but, trust me, the competition in El Paso used to be laughable, most don't leave El Paso for a single game. I've played a few, they suck.

i knew we would take a step back this year but to regress all the way back to 2012-13 is redic....on top of dumpster fire play by the team we have play calling which is so redundant its redic and just poor coaching in general.....then to top it all off we have a head coach who’s antics were just plain childish.....meanwhile after spending millions on facilities and stadium improvements our recruiting has gone downhill as well

The 2012 team got outscored by an average of 4 TDs a game, this year's team got outscored by 4 TDs on the road against what will probably be the 3rd best opponents the Buffs face this season.

The four losses this year were by 28 points (Wash St), 27 pts (Washington), 4 pts (UCLA), and 3 pts (Arizona); the 2012 team lost by 28 points or more 7 separate times, lost to Sacramento State, took a 55 point beat down from a MWC team, lost to little brother, and generally looked like warmed over dog**** week in and week out.

GTFO with the comparisons to 2012. If this team is not competitive in any of the remaining 4 games, then maybe you can compare it to the 2013 team.

One good season and we all block out the memory of how historically inept this team was before Mac took the job. Does that mean he's the long term answer? Not necessarily. Does it mean acting like there's been zero progress under him is ridiculous? Absolutely.

The 2012 team got outscored by an average of 4 TDs a game, this year's team got outscored by 4 TDs on the road against what will probably be the 3rd best opponents the Buffs face this season.

The four losses this year were by 28 points (Wash St), 27 pts (Washington), 4 pts (UCLA), and 3 pts (Arizona); the 2012 team lost by 28 points or more 7 separate times, lost to Sacramento State, took a 55 point beat down from a MWC team, lost to little brother, and generally looked like warmed over dog**** week in and week out.

GTFO with the comparisons to 2012. If this team is not competitive in any of the remaining 4 games, then maybe you can compare it to the 2013 team.

One good season and we all block out the memory of how historically inept this team was before Mac took the job. Does that mean he's the long term answer? Not necessarily. Does it mean acting like there's been zero progress under him is ridiculous? Absolutely.

OK, I agree with a lot of that ... we're better now than 2012 for sure. But this thread has gotten off track, so back to my original question at the top of this thread ... what are the bright spots for 2018? I'm looking for some optimism and I know lots of guys on this board have much deeper insight into our recruiting and depth chart.

OK, I agree with a lot of that ... we're better now than 2012 for sure. But this thread has gotten off track, so back to my original question at the top of this thread ... what are the bright spots for 2018? I'm looking for some optimism and I know lots of guys on this board have much deeper insight into our recruiting and depth chart.
I don't have deep knowledge on the recruiting details, but here's what I can glean while trying to put on rose colored glasses.

Jake Moretti and Grant Polley are among the highest ranked offensive line recruits we've had in quite a while and both are redshirting this year coming off of injuries, hopefully they make the line better. We have depth of talent at WR so losing Ross, Fields, Bobo won't sting as bad as it might look.

According to 24/7 sports there are 6 players on the roster who were 4-star recruits, 4 of them are freshman (Moretti, Polley, Isaiah Lewis, & K.D. Nixon), 2 are sophomores (Beau Bisharat, and Tim Lynott). So the best rated talent (at least by 24/7) is staying on the roster.

Isaiah Oliver is the best player on the roster, he might go to the draft, he might not, I'm not sure if there's a good guess on that one. The loss of Jeromy Irwin and Philip Lindsay are the two most concerning issues that I can think of.

I don't have deep knowledge on the recruiting details, but here's what I can glean while trying to put on rose colored glasses.

Jake Moretti and Grant Polley are among the highest ranked offensive line recruits we've had in quite a while and both are redshirting this year coming off of injuries, hopefully they make the line better. We have depth of talent at WR so losing Ross, Fields, Bobo won't sting as bad as it might look.

According to 24/7 sports there are 6 players on the roster who were 4-star recruits, 4 of them are freshman (Moretti, Polley, Isaiah Lewis, & K.D. Nixon), 2 are sophomores (Beau Bisharat, and Tim Lynott). So the best rated talent (at least by 24/7) is staying on the roster.

Isaiah Oliver is the best player on the roster, he might go to the draft, he might not, I'm not sure if there's a good guess on that one. The loss of Jeromy Irwin and Philip Lindsay are the two most concerning issues that I can think of.

I was also wondering why we are so downtrodden on recruiting when we have what by my eye are some of the most athletic guys we have had. Our strength program is very good, and I do not see programs like WSU having better talent than us. Recruiting is not going to improve too much farther, you just have to maximize the 4* and 3* guys you find. The only issue now is the coaching and development. The seniors on defense last year developed as a group very nicely, and I would give Leavitt some credit for that. The reason we need better assistants is to make sure that the development always occurs, so that every 2 years or so, we have a special team. In the interim years, we need to still win at least 6-8 games.

Besides Jeffcoat, Bernardi and Lindgren being gone, we have some exciting talent: Ento, Oliver and Lewis (if they stay), Udofia, Nixon, Shenault. Maybe a few of the players who left will return.

I was also wondering why we are so downtrodden on recruiting when we have what by my eye are some of the most athletic guys we have had. Our strength program is very good, and I do not see programs like WSU having better talent than us. Recruiting is not going to improve too much farther, you just have to maximize the 4* and 3* guys you find. The only issue now is the coaching and development. The seniors on defense last year developed as a group very nicely, and I would give Leavitt some credit for that. The reason we need better assistants is to make sure that the development always occurs, so that every 2 years or so, we have a special team. In the interim years, we need to still win at least 6-8 games.

Why do CU fans place arbitrary limits on how well the football program can recruit?

Why do CU fans place arbitrary limits on how well the football program can recruit?

This, plenty of examples of schools with less going for them than CU that have been able to recruit top 25, even top 15 classes. And no it isn't always because they cheat.

All the new lineman. This year's cast is tied, with the wr's, for my biggest disappointment all year.

As for recruiting, we have athletes. Lindsay is a stud and I'm really hoping for an all American spot for him. Lewis is the fastest linebacker at cu in a long time. Oliver and Montez have the measurables but are both still raw...one more than the other. Plenty of two and three stars are great college players, speedy was a two star. It's about getting the best players you can to fit your program.

We have the players and this year is insanely frustrating but have faith brothers

There are a lot of young men on this team we were very excited to sign. Coach them up, and there is no excuse for missing a bowl game in 2018.

All the new lineman. This year's cast is tied, with the wr's, for my biggest disappointment all year.

As for recruiting, we have athletes. Lindsay is a stud and I'm really hoping for an all American spot for him. Lewis is the fastest linebacker at cu in a long time. Oliver and Montez have the measurables but are both still raw...one more than the other. Plenty of two and three stars are great college players, speedy was a two star. It's about getting the best players you can to fit your program.

We have the players and this year is insanely frustrating but have faith brothers

Every team can point to a handful of good athletes. Cherry picking the best players on the team does not tell the whole story on recruiting.

Speedy was a 2 star, that's true. You know who else was a 2 star? Kory Rasmussen. So were John Stuart, Austin Vincent, Kyle Washington, Rashad Hall, Wyatt Smith, and Hayden Jones. A couple guys outperforming their ranking doesn't justify sh**ty recruiting.

^ exactly what I said on this forum a couple weeks ago. Some people are just clueless. For every 2 star that ends up being a major contributor to the team, there are like 5 or 6 that never even see the playing field. But people here act like all of our 2 stars end up being speedy Stewart. MacIntyre doesn’t have some unique ability to find diamonds in the rough that the best coaches inexplicably lack. They just don’t recruit as many projects as he does. It’s simple probability, if you have 50 2 stars on your roster, there is a much higher chance that one will become a star, compared to USC, who only has one or two 2 stars on their roster

The one thing that seems odd to me, and you all know I'm far from a sunshine pumper, is we are literally two scores from already having six wins this year.

Have we looked bad? Yeah, but aside from two games we were still right there.

Bright spots for 18?
Montez, Noyer, Lytle all a year older.
Shenault, Ento, Huntley, Arias, Nixon, Bell and others at receiver give us a ton of ability, and we will finally not be relying mostly on small receivers who can't block.
Miller, Haigler, Lynott, Sherman, Polley, Roddick, and the local kid all have legitimate talent.

Callier, Sparaco, Van Diest, Landman, Wells are major physical talent upgraded at the LB spots aside from Lewis.

Not saying stars don't matter but I also remember Darrell Scott. Ryan miller was very average as was Jon major. Edward nuckols, Jack Harris, Bryce givens, Shaun mohler, Andre Simmons.

The recruiting needs to improve, no question. More 3 and 4 stars will work out I'm guessing. Yes, some guys will be like Speedy, most will be known.

Not saying stars don't matter but I also remember Darrell Scott. Ryan miller was very average as was Jon major. Edward nuckols, Jack Harris, Bryce givens, Shaun mohler, Andre Simmons.
Ryan Miller was a 4 year starter and I think still holds the CU record for most starts. Jon Major was a starter when he wasn't recovering from 2 serious knee injuries at CU - he and Mohler would start for this 2017 team. Anyway what's your point? It sounds like you're making the argument that we shouldn't be going after highly ranked players, is that what you're saying? If not, what is your point?

I am no recruiting guru, but you look at a guy like Lynott, a 3* IIRC, but had offers from several legit programs. There is a world of difference in that and a guy who is a 3* with offers from Ark. St., Creighton and Austin Peay. CU seems to grab the latter rather than the former and mix in a gaggle of 2* projects and expects to line up and compete with fUCLA, SC and Stanford who regularly beat out other blue bloods for talented kids. Obviously, not working.

So much in 2018 rides on this year's true freshman class growing up in a hurry and forcing their way into the lineup, especially on the OL. Polly and Sherman have to be pushing for PT, with Moretti hopefully getting there come Fall as well. Outside of that, Fontenot better be the truth and hopefully Terrance Lang (who I believe made it to campus) is squared away and ready to live up to his hype.

So much in 2018 rides on this year's true freshman class growing up in a hurry and forcing their way into the lineup, especially on the OL. Polly and Sherman have to be pushing for PT, with Moretti hopefully getting there come Fall as well. Outside of that, Fontenot better be the truth and hopefully Terrance Lang (who I believe made it to campus) is squared away and ready to live up to his hype.
Are you sure?

Plenty of potential to be in the 7-8 win range. Should be deeper overall, but will probably lack the superstars to be true contenders in the South.

Back