What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bronco Mendenhall - Former HC at UVA & BYU

Not sure i understand the love on this one. Decent guy/coach. BYU maintained and arguably got better since he’s been gone. He was 36-38 at Virginia and 1-2 in bowl games in 6 years. He’s saying all the right things on his podcast but you could argue he’s just selling himself for another job.
The play here is to be positioned for a B1G invite for the next round of realignment.

Bronco is a guy who we know will deliver a winning football program with no risk of scandal/ NCAA violation. He'd accomplish it without CU having to drastically change the way it operates. And he'd give us the multi-year stability the program has been searching for since firing GB.

We would be winning, drawing great crowds, and gain a ton of breathing room on budget problems to allow things to get fixed.

It's not a sexy hire, but it's the type of hire CU needs to make.

I guess I’m confused how we know he’ll deliver a winning program. He didn’t at Virginia?
The play here is to be positioned for a B1G invite for the next round of realignment.

Bronco is a guy who we know will deliver a winning football program with no risk of scandal/ NCAA violation. He'd accomplish it without CU having to drastically change the way it operates. And he'd give us the multi-year stability the program has been searching for since firing GB.

We would be winning, drawing great crowds, and gain a ton of breathing room on budget problems to allow things to get fixed.

I am a little leery of Bronco. IIRC, he flat turned Bohn down during the MikMac search.

The LDS thing is going to be awkward.

My biggest concern, is once somebody self identifies as a burn out, it is not at all uncommon for them to say to themselves "hey, I really miss that and can get right back in the groove". But the reality is, they get back and find they were right in the first place and they become dead weight.

The prospect of Bronco pantsing RG in contract negotiations and scoring a huge, guaranteed retirement on the job deal is pretty high.

Yes he did at UVA.

2-10 his first year.

Bowl eligible the next 5, including one division championship. 34-28.
They were 4-8 the year before he took over. He doesn’t get To erase that year. Regardless he’s a .500 at best coach and had losing record in The 3 bowl games.

Robert Anae has got to be the OC if CU goes this way. He's at Syracuse IIRC-what's he make there?

I'll applaud the hire if it happens, but let's be real about what CU needs to do. CU needs to remove obstacles in order to compete, otherwise this B1G invitation doesn't matter. If/when they remove those obstacles, CU needs to go after the best possible candidate with a high ceiling.

Bronco is the right hire if nothing is done on the transfer or recruiting infrastructure front.

They were 4-8 the year before he took over. He doesn’t get To erase that year. Regardless he’s a .500 at best coach and had losing record in The 3 bowl games.
Dude. Since 2006, CU has been to 3 bowl games total. Lost all 3. CU has had Exactly 1 full regular season where they posted a greater than .500 record.

I would be ecstatic if a coach came here and averaged nearly 7 wins a year and took us to 5 straight bowl games. That would be a SUBSTANTIAL improvement.

Coaches with a losing record in bowl games include:
Bill McCartney, Tom Osborne, Frank Beamer, and Bill Snyder. Bronco Mendenhall is 7-7 all time in bowl games. Bob Stoops was 10-9. Steve Spurrier was 11-10. A "losing record in 3 bowl games" is one of the dumbest disqualifiers for a quality head coach I've ever heard.

Dude. Since 2006, CU has been to 3 bowl games total. Lost all 3. CU has had Exactly 1 full regular season where they posted a greater than .500 record.

I would be ecstatic if a coach came here and averaged nearly 7 wins a year and took us to 5 straight bowl games. That would be a SUBSTANTIAL improvement.
Where’s the 5 straight bowl games coming from? I see they played in bowls in 17,18,19 winning 1.

I fully expect it to take 2 years to win at CU. That's the point of the 1st year record being moved to the side when looking at a new HC's performance when taking on a rebuild.

Yeah, he went 1-2 in bowl games. CU has only been to 3 bowl games since 2005 and lost all of them.

Basically, I'm saying to take the layup and get stable, respectable and consistently winning more than we lose instead of taking a risk with this hire. CU cannot afford a failure. And the fact is that this new coach is coming into a cash-strapped AD with need for an organizational overhaul which can't begin to happen until Phil is gone. Failure rate is going to be extremely high with most candidates because they won't have the infrastructure, institutional support or organized/established donor & NIL consortiums you find nearly everywhere else.

This is a very difficult job and requires a certain type of coach to successfully navigate it while the problems are being worked on.

You picked some of the oldest coaches known to man. They coached in eras where they coached for 20 plus years. How many coaches in todays coaching world have losing records? Again I’m not touting his whole history as he was obv really good at BYU as has been his predecessor I’m saying we saw he couldn’t win at Virginia, why would he here?
Coaches with a losing record in bowl games include:
Bill McCartney, Tom Osborne, Frank Beamer, and Bill Snyder. Bronco Mendenhall is 7-7 all time in bowl games. Bob Stoops was 10-9. Steve Spurrier was 11-10. A "losing record in 3 bowl games" is one of the dumbest disqualifiers for a quality head coach I've ever heard.

You picked some of the oldest coaches known to man. They coached in eras where they coached for 20 plus years. How many coaches in todays coaching world have losing records? Again I’m not touting his whole history as he was obv really good at BYU as has been his predecessor I’m saying we saw he couldn’t win at Virginia, why would he here?
Yeah, that was exactly my point, the main thing all those coaches have in common is that they're old.
Come On Reaction GIF by NBA

So I’m operating g under the assumption that anyone that makes our shortlist we’re assuming can get us to 6-6? So maybe that shouldn’t be the main selling point in Bronco?

Jim Harbaugh is 2-6 in bowl games.
Lane Kiffin is 2-3 in Bowl games.
Mike Leach is 8-9 in bowl games (not saying he should be a candidate here)

Where’s the 5 straight bowl games coming from? I see they played in bowls in 17,18,19 winning 1.
In a shortened 2020, he was 5-5 at the end of the year. At .500 he had his team bowl eligible, but Covid.

In 2021 he was 6-6, bowl eligible again. UVa decided to skip the bowl game due to Covid.

Pat Fitzgerald: 5-5
James Franklin: 5-5
Mike Leach: 8-9
Lincoln Riley: 1-3
Mario Cristobal: 1-2
Chip Kelly: 2-2
Brett Beilema: 2-5

So I’m operating g under the assumption that anyone that makes our shortlist we’re assuming can get us to 6-6? So maybe that shouldn’t be the main selling point in Bronco?
Considering that CU has gotten to .500 exactly once (outside of the Covid season), maybe you should lower your expectations a bit.

Improve us from suck hole to mediocre, then we can worry about who will take us to the next tier.

Considering that CU has gotten to .500 exactly once (outside of the Covid season), maybe you should lower your expectations a bit.

Improve us from suck hole to mediocre, then we can worry about who will take us to the next tier.
I’m well aware of our history. I’m saying does anyone hire a coach they don’t think can get you to .500?

Again, well aware of the history. We’re any hired thinking they couldn’t?
I tend to think that coaches that took over ****ty programs and made them better are worth a look.

I also think that evaluating them purely on their overall win/loss record is short sighted.

when you take over a ****ty team, the record the first year (or two) isn't necessarily a good indicator.

Would you take a coach who's first 6 seasons in the P5 had the following win totals:

And who's bowl record was a whopping 0-3?

A little bit of context that I think people are missing with that 2021 season - they were 6-6, but that 6-6 was fun as hell. Brennan Armstrong was must-see TV.

I'll take that over a 5-7 with Lavish getting like 5targets a game any day. Just a better spectator experience

If you think the only argument for Mendenhall is he might get us to 6-6, you need to start this thread over and read from the top before asking this question.

A little bit of context that I think people are missing with that 2021 season - they were 6-6, but that 6-6 was fun as hell. Brennan Armstrong was must-see TV.

I'll take that over a 5-7 with Lavish getting like 5targets a game any day. Just a better spectator experience
Wel, I am convinced. I have no idea what you are talking about, but I am still convinced.

Back