What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

bsn BSN: Don’t expect “The Rise” to continue at CU in 2017

RSSBot

News Junkie
BOULDER – On March, 5 of 2017, Michael Jordan said, “the ceiling is the roof,” in front of a packed Dean Smith Center. His beloved UNC Tar Heels went on to win their seventh college basketball national title little less than a month later.

It’s hard to go anywhere without seeing the internal hype about ‘The Rise’ and how it will continue in the coming month or never stop now that it has started.

I have two questions:

Should any season after 2016 be associated with a rise? Can they keep rising?

Essentially, the question becomes what is the ceiling for the Colorado Buffaloes and how should one value 2017 in context?

2016 was special, it always will be one of CU’s most magical seasons as they re-cemented themselves among college football’s best. Trying to recreate 2016, however, would be a fool’s errand. Last season saw the perfect mix of leadership, health, conflict, luck, and talent which exploded into a 10-4 season.

Most of this is no longer on campus in Boulder.

There’s one thing at altitude that’s missing more than anything and that’s attitude. Maybe it’s the loss of Jim Leavitt or some seniors—that saw their butt kicked in 27 times while only nabbing 10 wins before their final season—but the desire just hasn’t been the same, at least so far, as we head towards fall camp.

Really, one can trace back the lost attitude to right after the Rumble in the Rockies when the Buffs clinched the Pac-12 South. In the two subsequent games, all of CU’s meaningful mottos—Welcome To The Fight (WTTF), Don’t Blink, Etc.—were reduced to cute.

Aside from attitude is the all important talent, more importantly upperclassmen talent.

This is a weird year for Colorado because the coaches have done great recruiting-wise for two straight cycles however their upperclassmen have some holdovers from the dark days of CU Football. Aside from a handful or two of seniors, most of the Buffs’ talent lies with the lower classmen.

Colorado is a tweener team this year, not quite ready for their exciting youth that the rise helped obtain and in need of some talent in impact positions.

They lack the four players that were drafted into the NFL, as well as the nine starters that are no longer in Boulder. These were unbelievably important players from their skill to their leadership. A lot of players looked at Chidobe Awuzie and Tedric Thompson like their blood brothers. Playing for their brothers to help them leave a legacy was half the motivation for “The Rise.”

That’s irreplaceable and impossible to replicate.

It’d be easier to justify a column such as this one if after one of the top five quarterbacks in school history didn’t have a clear replacement with oodles of talent, nevertheless he does. Even then, you’re handing not just the keys but the deed to your offense over to a youngster.

Nobody will deny that CU’s offensive skill positions are loaded but how are they supposed to makeup for a special teams unit which struggled most of the year, a young and inexperienced defense and an offensive line with some turnover. Also, can you trust the offensive players to not grow egos and still keep it about the team whilst they fight for positioning in the Draft with fewer opportunities than normal due to the depth at those positions?

The most boastful of Buffaloes fans have to be a little concerned about this team, no?

To raise one more concern, the consensus coach of the year Mike MacIntyre failed pretty miserably in CU’s last two games to rally his team, on unarguably the biggest and brightest stage they set foot on. MacIntyre has only won 20 games in four years, 10 came last year, CU and Rick George have pledged their faith to the front man but it’s still hard to know what to expect, especially with so much turnover on his staff.

I’m by no means saying tear it down or have no hope, I’m just saying I have some concerns. It’s not fair to put this year’s team—or any team—in the same realm as “The Rise.”

This incarnation of the Buffs will most likely make the postseason and that’s huge. Don’t get it twisted but the ceiling is far from the roof of college football in 2017 for the Golden Buffaloes, the ceiling is closer to a Holliday Bowl.

Jake Shapiro
Continue reading...

Some fair points, but I have to laugh at calling Montez "young." Some Buffs lose their damn minds over any underclassmen playing big roles.
:ROFLMAO:

Yeah. Acting as if we had a true freshman starting at QB (and it's not like even that is uncommon these days). 3rd year QB with starting experience who set school records on the road at Oregon. It's almost as if we're trying to find things to be worried about. 90% of the country would love to have our "QB inexperience problem".

He is an upperclassman though lol.

I also found it weird to start of the podcast the other day saying how amazing Sefo was and then say that Montez looked horrible in the Pac-12 championship game and the Alamo bowl. Sefo didn't play well either.

"an offensive line with some turnover"

We return 4/5 starters which is definitely above average. A team returning all 5 starers is incredibly rare.

I've grown weary of the Sefo reminiscing and the 2016 phenomenon. It's well past time to move on. The 2017 Buffs will be just fine.

Glad to hear the players intensity is so high...that's one thing that doesn't show up on typical analyses. If they are that fired up, another 10 win season isn't out of realm of possibility (though granted not likely). Last year's team was picked last in the South...so pre-season predictions are almost always wrong - just a fun way to kill time or generate content in the offseason.

Some fair points, but I have to laugh at calling Montez "young." Some Buffs lose their damn minds over any underclassmen playing big roles.

Guy is in his third year in the program and has been on the field against Michigan, USC, and Oregon when the game was not in garbage time. He's not young.

The Rise will continue this year with the explosion of the offense. Will the D take a bit of a step back with 8 new starters, sure. But there is always something on the program that should be rising and getting better.

The Rise will continue this year with the explosion of the offense. Will the D take a bit of a step back with 8 new starters, sure. But there is always something on the program that should be rising and getting better.
"The Rise" is 2016. That magical season is over. The point here is that it would be unwise and probably even unfair to expect the 2017 team to live up to the team of last year. It was in every way truly special.

The program will continue to improve, and even if we see a step back in the W column, CU is finally starting to look healthy once again.

"The Rise" is 2016. That magical season is over. The point here is that it would be unwise and probably even unfair to expect the 2017 team to live up to the team of last year. It was in every way truly special.

The program will continue to improve, and even if we see a step back in the W column, CU is finally starting to look healthy once again.

While I agree the rise was about 2016, it sure not the bar which the teams should be measured by. I want a higher bar. Winning the CCG and at least a winning Bowl game. Not arguing that it was not special and should be remembered. That is not it. But one special season best not be the end of the rise. I saw the rise in person from 1985 thru 1990. Took a step back in 86 over 85 but with the big win over NU.

All I am saying is the Rise needs to continue. I will say we are at maintain when we get back to consistent top 15 or better teams, are in contention for conference titles almost every year and get a chance to challenge for a MNC. Standards need to be raised ongoing and permanently and I get it that there will be bumps along the way. But the standard of where The Rise ends should not be last year.

I'm certain the players think they can repeat as champs and actually win the CCG and bowl game...that's all that matters IMO.

Back