What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Buffs extend Kiesau for two more seasons

I missed the "head coach at CU" thing. He's not ready for that, imo.

For sure I could be way over-reading this but that was kind of my point. Why re-up Kiesau - even if he can be bought out rather cheaply - if you don't want him around? Assuming Hawk gets the boot after a dismal start, who gets the interim job? One way to find out if Kiesau's up to the real job is to give it to him. After all, to this point it's hard to tell what the guy is capable of given the dysfunction of the Hawkins era.

Just a gues but maybe Kathy-Mc-Connell-Miller?

I think Lappe got that contract, but could be wrong. We have 6 long-term contracts at CU, I think they are currently allocated to:

Benson
Bohn
Hawkins
Kiesau
Boyle
Lappe

Is that right? So who would have had the 6th contract before Kiesau...DiStefano?

Just a gues but maybe Kathy-Mc-Connell-Miller?

Good question. I assume the AD, head football coach, and two head basketball coaches get one. Thats 4. I'd also assume that Hempen gets one. Maybe Ceal Barry gets one as well. That would be 6. Just guessing. If thats the case, I'd say Ceal would not mind giving hers up if she has the assurances she needs.

Couldn't you just structure a one-year contract with some sort of back-end balloon payment that is forfeited by the coach if he is given a new contract? That way you could at least show a coach you have some level of commitment to them long-term since you aren't going to want to make those back-end payments unless absolutely necessary (like you want them gone). Would to some degree be equivalent to a long-term contract and would maybe allow you to attract more coaching talent.

Beyond some sort of creative contract language, let's get serious about football. Stop handing out long-term contracts to the freakin' women's hoops coach and give it to a DC. That way we can hire a decent head coach, OC and DC. Who gives a crap about women's hoops anyway? Support the only program that generates money for the department. Or take it from Benson, I don't care.

Good question. I assume the AD, head football coach, and two head basketball coaches get one. Thats 4. I'd also assume that Hempen gets one. Maybe Ceal Barry gets one as well. That would be 6. Just guessing. If thats the case, I'd say Ceal would not mind giving hers up if she has the assurances she needs.

I believe it's 6 contracts for the entire school, not just for the AD so one or two are going to top administrators. No way soccer or track or skiing will ever be getting a long-term contract unless they start generating major revenue. Frankly I'm a little surprised women's hoops gets one.

What's the point of only allowing so many long term contracts to CU?

Did you mean "so few"?

One of the big reasons we lost Grimes to Auburn was over job security and the fact that they could offer a long-term deal to an OL coach.

agree. You know, when Hawk first came, I was all on board, particularly due to his assistants. The only mistake I thought he made was not retaining Hankwitz, which I was right on I guess. Still, I liked Grimes, Helfrich, Cabral, Hagan, Kiesau and Brown. I thought Brown was an absolute gift from the football gods.

The new head coach has the right to get rid of everyone, and that's fine. However, I have no idea why you would get rid of Cabral. This isn't me wanting a holdover from the Mac days. This is objectively looking at his resume and realizing that he's a great coach. If I'm Cabral though, I voluntarily leave and gain experience elsewhere to become a head coach.

This sucks, because I do think Kiesau is a good coach, but I think he got promoted too quickly. I do not think we should make him a HC just based on potential. You can't groom and develop a head coach - they need to be ready to the job from day one.
Agree 100% Maybe it's just me but if Talkins goes down - I say bring in some fresh blood.
pin_hayward..jpg

Just seems odd to extend someone in such a situation unless there's a plan... Somethin's up.

That is why I posted this thread...something has to be up and I'm not talking about those birds dropping white goo things at you.

Another question: why does it take a year and a half to get a 3 year contract approved and signed? I know there is some administerial red tape, but that's pretty ridiculous.

Another question: why does it take a year and a half to get a 3 year contract approved and signed? I know there is some administerial red tape, but that's pretty ridiculous.

The BOR has to accept those contracts.

Who would have the OC been if Kiesau left too? Denver Johnson? Darian Hagan? Or even worse, Hawkins himself.

Seriously? :smile2:

He's from Cali. Prolly never heard of Dougie Bruce.

TABOR was defeated twice by the voters before it was passed, BTW. Now would be a terrible time to try to repeal it, but someday, if we get a governor with some courage and a legislature with the same, we can rid ourselves of the double whammy of Amd 23 and TABOR. Two of the all time stupidest amendments to a state constitution ever enacted. We should get rid of the minimum wage amendment, too. How stupid is it to have a minimum wage written into the state constitution?

Back