What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Buffs Skiers Open Season Tuesday In Utah

probably better if you are on the mountain. you can enjoy some runs and find some good viewing spots along the course. not really a great grandstand sport from my experience...bring your cowbell...
If you are on the mountain, you are most likely a course worker .... you get to watch people fly by you on skis and you might have to fix a gate that got knocked over etc. And then, when the race is over, you have to ski down in waning light on a steep icy hill. (No, I didn't do it but my husband did). If you are at the base of the mountain you get to see each skier come in to the finish line. If I were watching a race in person, I'd be down at the bottom.

If you are on the mountain, you are most likely a course worker .... you get to watch people fly by you on skis and you might have to fix a gate that got knocked over etc. And then, when the race is over, you have to ski down in waning light on a steep icy hill. (No, I didn't do it but my husband did). If you are at the base of the mountain you get to see each skier come in to the finish line. If I were watching a race in person, I'd be down at the bottom.
Interesting... I've watched World Cup downhill races on the mountain as a spectator, but it's been a while. Maybe they have limited that access now. That sucks if so, hard to really get a feel for the speed and the chatter from the base.

Interesting... I've watched World Cup downhill races on the mountain as a spectator, but it's been a while. Maybe they have limited that access now. That sucks if so, hard to really get a feel for the speed and the chatter from the base.
What I was describing was a college race at Eldora, not World Cup. Don't have a clue what is done there.

Anyone ever attended a collegiate skiing competition? I'm not a skier and know nothing about the sport, but having a world class team nearby is intriguing.

Is competition skiing a quality spectator sport? Is it something that can be appreciated by non-skiers, or will I miss all the intricacies and will it just look like people going downhill really fast (like taking a native Coloradan to a NASCAR race)?

January 25-26 the Buffs have an event in Nederland (assume Eldora) and I have nothing even penciled on my calendar for that Sunday.

There is a significant SCOOP opportunity here.

Please attend and report back. CU's ski team fandom is a blank canvas around here.

It would be an amazing improvement to the Allbuffs content quality if there were an active forum that engaged the family, friends, and former ski team athletes. With as many national championships claimed by CU and as many athletes coming from foreign lands, a virtual ski community on Allbuffs would potentially be an amazing and unique Internet asset that sets Allbuffs apart.

Last edited by a moderator:
Busy morning for the Buffs. There must also be a men's cross country race going on.

[tweet]554327335982600192[/tweet]

Congrats to a couple Buffs on their 1-2 finish! (The cubuff.com preview article for this Utah meet says the two young men are individually ranked 1 & 2 college Nordic skiiers in the country.)

[tweet]554337527742877697[/tweet]

Last edited:
So, per the live scoring (again- at http://live-timing.com/race2.php?r=140688 ), looks like the Buffs final leaders in today's men's slalom were 10th (ZIKA, Adam), 11th (HIETANEN, Kasper) and 16th (GUNNARSSON, Henrik).

Also, assuming I found the right information (http://summittiming.com/live_results/data/live_results_with_splits_for_women.html), looks like the Buff women's Nordic team ended up with finishes that included 5th (SOLBAKKEN, Maja), 7th (JOHNSEN, Ane) and 8th (HYNCICOVA, Petra) in their 5K freestyle race earlier today.

So, the women's 2nd run of the slalom is the one thing I believe is still left to run today.

Last edited:
Looks like the top women have now all raced their 2nd runs in today's slalom, and looks like a very good day for the Buff's (per http://live-timing.com/race2.php?r=140687). Top Buff finishers- 1st overall (GROSVOLD, Thea- good victory with best race times in both 1st and 2nd runs), 4th (WALES, Brooke- nice comeback, only 15th after 1st run; had 2nd fastest time (behind only her teammate) in the 2nd run), 6th (MCLEAN, Shane) and 10th (HONKONEN, Jessica).

Last edited:
Back