What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Buffs to NFL in 2020

I think injury history will certainly be a factor, but realistically, it's going to come down to how he does in the combine. If he runs a low 4.4, and has a high 30's vert, he's going to go in the first round regardless of his injury history IMO. As a point of comparison, DK Metclf didn't show much of anything in college (comparatively speaking), had an injury history, and went at the end of the second round. Viska is in a different stratosphere as a WR comparatively (he's a 1000 times more polished), and if he shows out at the combine, some team in the first round won't be able to resist taking him. If he has a bad day and runs a mid to high 4.5 and a low 30's vert...all bets are off.
Huge difference between the first and end of the second round. Also, this WR class is being touted as the best in a long time. He is not currently viewed as the best or even top 2 WR prospects.

Huge difference between the first and end of the second round. Also, this WR class is being touted as the best in a long time. He is not currently viewed as the best or even top 2 WR prospects.
There are teams that have Viska as the top receiver in the draft. That said, I agree with your first two points, but that's not my argument. My point is this: It's more based upon the combine for Viska than his injury history. Even if Viska is out the rest of the year, if he rolls into the combine @ 6'2", 220lbs+ and absolutely shredded (as he currently is), and he puts up a low 4.4 and a good vertical....he will go in the 1st round. He has amazing film, and some team will take him as a top 2-3 receiver in the draft, even if he doesn't play another game in college, because his potential is too much to pass on. I use DK Metcalf as an example, as he should have been a late round pick (if at all) except for his combine performance and how he looked with his shirt off.

KD is an interesting situation. He sees himself as an NFL player, a lot of NFL guys probably don't agree.

He is at best a later round guy, could end up undrafted.

He has some assets, he has good speed, but not elite and is good with the ball in his hands. He also does well catching the ball including deep balls when he gets his hands on it.

The problem for him is that he doesn't have the height of an NFL WR. We have seen that his catch radius is limited and that the ball needs to be close to perfect to hit him. With the tighter coverage in the pros it is going to be hard for him to present a target.

If he is going to make the league he will have to make it showing value as a returner more than a WR. He isn't retuning a lot of punts though and they are legislating the KO return out of the game.

At that point the question becomes how valuable to him is another year of free education. An additional year in Boulder isn't going to make him any taller.

If he makes the pros going early means he will be able to have one additional year of his time paying. This may be more important to him than a guy like Viska who is likely to be getting much larger contracts, KD doesn't project to making big money by NFL standards.

He has some assets, he has good speed, but not elite and is good with the ball in his hands. He also does well catching the ball including deep balls when he gets his hands on it.

Yes. That's a great point actually. The problem is he gets put into an offense where they want him to be like Wes Welker, Edelman, or Amendola etc (who are all taller than him BTW.). And then he gets smoked all the time and has 100 concussions. I don't say that lightly, or think it's funny, but those 3 guys are going to be drinking meals through straws at 50 and make Jim McMahon sound like Sara Seager from MIT by comparison.

Yes. That's a great point actually. The problem is he gets put into an offense where they want him to be like Wes Welker, Edelman, or Amendola etc (who are all taller than him BTW.). And then he gets smoked all the time and has 100 concussions. I don't say that lightly, or think it's funny, but those 3 guys are going to be drinking meals through straws at 50 and make Jim McMahon sound like Sara Seager from MIT by comparison.
You are on a roll today, and I don't say that lightly or think it's funny

Also, how do you fine chaps know this latest Viska injury isn't bad? They haven't said anything, right? If he is out 6 weeks do you still think he automatically declares for NFL?

Viska will get drafted by the Jets. He and Sam will connect for 12 catches and 177 yards and 2 TDs. Next week he will fall down and we will hear he is hurt and see ya after Thanksgiving and I have to put a bag on my head again Just End The Season.
Douchebag

Also, how do you fine chaps know this latest Viska injury isn't bad? They haven't said anything, right? If he is out 6 weeks do you still think he automatically declares for NFL?
It isn't a serious injury, but the timeline for his return is undetermined ATM. I personally would expect him to declare even if he doesn't play another snap this season.

Last edited:
There are teams that have Viska as the top receiver in the draft. That said, I agree with your first two points, but that's not my argument. My point is this: It's more based upon the combine for Viska than his injury history. Even if Viska is out the rest of the year, if he rolls into the combine @ 6'2", 220lbs+ and absolutely shredded (as he currently is), and he puts up a low 4.4 and a good vertical....he will go in the 1st round. He has amazing film, and some team will take him as a top 2-3 receiver in the draft, even if he doesn't play another game in college, because his potential is too much to pass on. I use DK Metcalf as an example, as he should have been a late round pick (if at all) except for his combine performance and how he looked with his shirt off.

I love Viska

But any GM who has Viska over Jeudy needs some glasses. And we'll just have to wait and see how the injury concerns impact his stock. Once NFL teams are able to hound him with their medical personnel we'll know more. High profile draft prospects fall due to injury concerns every single year.

I love Viska

But any GM who has Viska over Jeudy needs some glasses. And we'll just have to wait and see how the injury concerns impact his stock. Once NFL teams are able to hound him with their medical personnel we'll know more. High profile draft prospects fall due to injury concerns every single year.
Judy is amazing, but so is Viska....ultimately it comes down to whoever they think is a better fit for their team. The bolded is true, but when this happens, it's usually due to an injury that happened prior, that the NFL medical guys think is going to continue to be a lingering problem (i.e. a hack job on a knee that would likely cause the prospect's career to be cut short).

I don't see that being the case with Viska's turf toe from last year, or his shoulder. I have never seen those injuries put a WR's career at risk.

KD is an interesting situation. He sees himself as an NFL player, a lot of NFL guys probably don't agree.

He is at best a later round guy, could end up undrafted.

The problem for him is that he doesn't have the height of an NFL WR. We have seen that his catch radius is limited and that the ball needs to be close to perfect to hit him. With the tighter coverage in the pros it is going to be hard for him to present a target.

If he is going to make the league he will have to make it showing value as a returner more than a WR. He isn't retuning a lot of punts though and they are legislating the KO return out of the game.

At that point the question becomes how valuable to him is another year of free education. An additional year in Boulder isn't going to make him any taller.

If he makes the pros going early means he will be able to have one additional year of his time paying. This may be more important to him than a guy like Viska who is likely to be getting much larger contracts, KD doesn't project to making big money by NFL standards.

Here's the thing, KD likely isn't going to improve his draft position by playing his senior year. I agree he won't go high in the draft and will likely be a free agent, but that's not going to change after another season. If his dream is to try the NFL, why not go for it sooner rather than later?

I will say that he's probably more valuable to an NFL team in a Phil-type role and he should agitate to get some runs from behind the QB and work more out of the slot. They are already letting him show his stuff on kick returns.

Last edited:
Here's the thing, KD likely isn't going to improve his draft position by playing his senior year. I agree he won't go high in the draft and will likely be a free agent, but that's not going to change after another season. If his dream is to try the NFL, why not go for it sooner rather than later?

I will say that he's probably more valuable to an NFL team in a Phil-type role and he should agitate to get some runs from behind the QB and work more out of the slot. They are already letting him show his stuff on kick returns.
Agree completely with this. To make and stick in the NFL he is going to have to create a role for himself, the more flexibility he brings to a team the more likely he will be to stick.

Football players have a shelf life, even in the best of situations they only get a limited number of years. A guy like Viska, assuming he plays to his talent and stays healthy is going to earn enough that one year more or less isn't going to change his life much.

For the guys closer to the end of the roster making NFL minimums or not far above it an extra year can make a big difference long term.

Selfishly it would be fun to see KD back in a Buff uniform next year but if he truly believes that the NFL is the place for him then he should go.

I just can't see KD being anything other than an UDFA. With his size, he needs a differentiator, like blazing speed, and he doesn't have that. He's got heart and character, though, and that will take him a long way regardless if he makes it in the NFL.

People are acting like KD is a slug. He’s got almost top end speed. May not be top shelf, but it’s not slow. He could probably carve a niche as a returner too.
I don't think KD is a slug. He's just not a blazer and doesn't seem to separate from coverage like some other receivers do. With his size, he really needs to be able to create space. He can do that at the college level, but it's a different ball game in the pros. But then again, I'm not a scout, so what the hell do I know.

Noone is saying KD is slow. But he's not faster than the wide receivers that are projected to get drafted. And they are a lot bigger than him.... I'd be shocked if he made it to the NFL. I think the wiser decision for him would be stay and graduate, give the NFL a shot, but be able to fall back on his degree

Noone is saying KD is slow. But he's not faster than the wide receivers that are projected to get drafted. And they are a lot bigger than him.... I'd be shocked if he made it to the NFL. I think the wiser decision for him would be stay and graduate, give the NFL a shot, but be able to fall back on his degree
There’s lots of NFL wide receivers who are slower and smaller than other people. That stuff matters, but aren’t the sole factors. Not saying this necessarily changes thing for KD, but it’s wrong to discount him on that basis.

There’s lots of NFL wide receivers who are slower and smaller than other people. That stuff matters, but aren’t the sole factors. Not saying this necessarily changes thing for KD, but it’s wrong to discount him on that basis.
His size and speed are exactly the basis on which he'll be discounted. Just like Lindsay's size was one of the primary reasons he was discounted. It's the other intangibles that will help KD just as they were for Lindsay. The question is, are KD's intangibles enough to get him drafted. I'm not convinced. I think he'll get a shot as an UDFA, though.

Lots of NFL owners are Republicans so I think it could help with his connection to POTUS 37.

Last edited:
Getting in and out of breaks is huge for a receiver. You have good footwork, it'll help you separate, whether you have top end speed or not. Using your hands is a big deal too, if they are pressing, hell, after you are already in the route, as well.

If I'm Viska, I'm gone, especially if I'm dealing with an injury. It's just like Dinwiddie - if you're going to rehab and risk further injury, do it when you're getting paid to do so. Plus, he has nothing further to prove. If scouts are going to knock him for being injury-prone, coming back for another season isn't going to change that. He's already gotten hurt and missed time more than once in college, so it is what it is at this point.

As far as KD - man, he needs to finish his education. Maybe he gets a look as a UDFA, maybe he makes a 53-man roster, but I don't see him lasting long in the NFL. Make sure you get your degree, then go chase your pro football dream. He's not going to get the coin Viska is going to get.

I agree with you completely but does KD? A lot of college football players overestimate their pro prospects. KD seems like a guy who has dreamed of playing in the NFL for years. He may not want to be convinced that a degree may be worth more than coming out early.

Back