What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Build Rick George a Statue (was #fireRickGeorge)

well, if you weren't sure about RG's job stability, i think that presser makes it pretty clear a big reason Prime is here.

phillip just looked confused, but hey he didn't get in the way of this so good on him.

I believe PDS is the biggest reason CUFB has been in the dumper the last 15 years or so. It made me ill to see him blathering on as if he were anything other than luggage on the way to Prime land.

RG? Nearly buried CUFB with the KD hire and was rumored to be on the verge of hanging us with the Bronco minivan until there was an intervention. You guys have awfully short memories.

Having said that, in deference to the fact he was at least in the room to get Prime, this is the last time I will comment on his "performance".

Haven’t had a chance to watch the press conference but from what I’ve read, it looks like I was wrong on RGs influence on this hire. Massive props to him. He’s earned that extension.

Now that it appears that football is on the right track, and hopefully pulling in big money, I hope RG can put some of that money towards the little things that many of us have screamed about - engaging students, spirit support, etc - and really make me look dumb*.

* Dumber than normal. I can look dumb on my own thankyouverymuch.

And the former guy’s buyout. But for me, if Deion lives RG that’s plenty good for me.
Whomever wrote that RG has a complicated relationship with his time at CU hit the nail on the head.

He’s done a couple of great things. He’s also done several boneheaded things.

Regardless of your POV on the events surrounding this hire, Saliman has done one masterful thing: he has removed excuse sources. HC pay? Done. AC pay? Done. NIL budget? Done. Transfer credits? Done.

Prime will succeed. The next challenge is to keep him happy. No more excuses. Just win, baby.

It’s OK to say that Rick George ****ed up royally with KD hire, bungled some contracts in the past and has lacked awareness with the MBB program, while also acknowledging that he absolutely crushed this hire, with the help of his bosses taking the chains off.
No more excuses. Just win. Just keep Prime happy. If he does that, he’s made it right. Huge gamble.

I have so much trouble reconciling the events of RG during his tenure are CU. He's an enigma to me. With that said, if Coach Prime said he was instrumental in closing the deal, huge props to him and I'll happily look past the KD era. Seems the contact buyout parameters are reasonable so all is good to me now (like it matters).

I didn’t have the energy to be on ab for sooo long. I’d creep in every now and then after a win (not many) but holy crap have things changed. We have earned this. Let’s enjoy it. CU on 9/7!!

**** the past... The present and future is all we should care about. With that said RG is clearly worthy of praise. We can scorn him if he ****s up again but as of this moment he is worthy of being the greatest non coach or athlete in CU athletics since Gee.

Let's all do ourselves a favor and forget about everything that has happened since MSU came calling for Midnight Mel. It appears karma has come for all parties involved. Let's enjoy.

What's up with his comment about the contract and saying we don’t have the money yet but its coming?

What's up with his comment about the contract and saying we don’t have the money yet but its coming?

dumb-and-dumber-iou.gif

And the former guy’s buyout. But for me, if Deion loves RG that’s plenty good for me.
Coach Sanders talked about being united. I’m ready to unite and as part of that, I’m 100% behind RG now. He said that we’re looking to the future and not the past. Let’s do it. He’s got us positioned to begin a great era of CU football.

I’m still thinking this is 99% Saliman. But RG had an important role
It may be that the biggest role Saliman had was to tell RG that he had the resources and the authority and to tell PD to go back in his hole and stay out of the way until his retirement date.

They let PD bask in the moment because to do otherwise would create some hard feelings and distract from the most positive moment in CU football in two decades.

You saw Coach Prime glow about RG, he gave big props to Saliman. He acknowledged the presence of PD. Telling.

I still believe that hiring KD was due to PD.

Let's say you run an organization that relies, in part, on charitable donations. Would it ever be in your interest to say--no worries, we've got plenty of cash to do what we need to do?

Seems obvious to me, so someone correct me if I am off base here.

RG hired KD at the end of February, his pickings were rather slim, went after a few guys he wanted and they all passed (turned them into raises, or wasn't the right time). Even those who he went after had some rather big question marks around them. They were stumped, and as RG and LC talked about, who do we talk to next. KD fell into their laps as someone who was in theory a low risk and high likelihood of landing. KD (more likely his agent) turned that level of desperation into a very lucrative contract since they had all the power.

I was thinking at that time they should have just named a interim coach for the next year, then started the search all over again during the normal cycle. In hindsight that would have likely lead to a Chiv IHC, and would have likely ended up something similar to Embree.

RG didn't work miracles with Mel leaving, but with what he was dealt, I struggle to fault him too much looking back.

Seems obvious to me, so someone correct me if I am off base here.

RG hired KD at the end of February, his pickings were rather slim, went after a few guys he wanted and they all passed (turned them into raises, or wasn't the right time). Even those who he went after had some rather big question marks around them. They were stumped, and as RG and LC talked about, who do we talk to next. KD fell into their laps as someone who was in theory a low risk and high likelihood of landing. KD (more likely his agent) turned that level of desperation into a very lucrative contract since they had all the power.

I was thinking at that time they should have just named a interim coach for the next year, then started the search all over again during the normal cycle. In hindsight that would have likely lead to a Chiv IHC, and would have likely ended up something similar to Embree.

RG didn't work miracles with Mel leaving, but with what he was dealt, I struggle to fault him too much looking back.
KD and his agent had no power. He was an NFL WR coach who was in demand by absolutely no one. Giving KD the same salary they were prepared to give Sarkisian was one of many unforgivable errors. “Your client won’t accept our $1 million per year offer? OK, it was nice talking to you. We’ll hire Mora Jr, or one of several other possibilities.”

I’m a person who generally believes that people will act with honor and integrity. RG gave Tucker a huge break and I don’t think in his wildest dreams RG even considered that Tucker would stab him in the back like that.

All that said, things happen for a reason and Tucker led to Sark led to KD. NIL and The Portal happened. USC and UCLA jumped. Saliman was hired. CU football embarrassed the school and the alumni. The light came on for a lot of decision makers and here we are.

Ok, now that we’re in a much better place can we stop with the “Tucker stabbed us in the back” bull****? It was weak in Feb of 2020, it’s really weak now. Tuck was offered double what he was getting. He was offered to double his staffs salaries. He was offered better support administrationally. ANYONE would have done the same. Did it suck timing wise? **** yes. Is it awkward as hell that he was on a CU boondoggle while negotiating? Yes. But when I left my last job, I waited until the ink was dry on the contract before I told them too and anyone who doesn’t is a damn fool.

The Tuck situation sucked. But he did exactly what everyone else who is being honest with themselves would have done. Move the **** on.

Ok, now that we’re in a much better place can we stop with the “Tucker stabbed us in the back” bull****? It was weak in Feb of 2020, it’s really weak now. Tuck was offered double what he was getting. He was offered to double his staffs salaries. He was offered better support administrationally. ANYONE would have done the same. Did it suck timing wise? **** yes. Is it awkward as hell that he was on a CU boondoggle while negotiating? Yes. But when I left my last job, I waited until the ink was dry on the contract before I told them too and anyone who doesn’t is a damn fool.

The Tuck situation sucked. But he did exactly what everyone else who is being honest with themselves would have done. Move the **** on.
And for those who are saying that RG's job right now is to make sure prime is happy, remember that this is not the first time he has promised the moon to an ambitious coach. It seems like he's learned his lesson about a lot of different things, but there is a history here to be concerned about.

If he hadn't been meeting donors and making media appearances to tell them he was 100% staying while he was finalizing negotiations, I'd feel differently.

He probably has assurances from Saliman that a shortfall (up to a certain point) will be covered by an increase to student fees but that RG also needs to bring in as much as he can. I would bet that he answered that way specifically to try and incite some extra donating. Will they have the money? Definitely. Do they want more donations? Absolutely.

If he hadn't been meeting donors and making media appearances to tell them he was 100% staying while he was finalizing negotiations, I'd feel differently.
I was representing my company to the fullest too. And then the first chance it was official I was out.

KD and his agent had no power. He was an NFL WR coach who was in demand by absolutely no one. Giving KD the same salary they were prepared to give Sarkisian was one of many unforgivable errors. “Your client won’t accept our $1 million per year offer? OK, it was nice talking to you. We’ll hire Mora Jr, or one of several other possibilities.”

What other possibilities do you think realistically existed? Their board was empty

I was representing my company to the fullest too. And then the first chance it was official I was out.
That wasn't MT representing his company. That was him using his public position to leverage negotiations with a job he knew he was taking, not caring who he lied to.

Goose - he intentionally burnt bridges so there's no damn reason to excuse it, especially when you're part of the group he burnt the bridges with. He did CU and its fans dirty to get what he wanted out of MSU.

Back