What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Build Rick George a Statue (was #fireRickGeorge)

I follow Monet Weir

31698934_10212373300142723_7479783101871161344_n.jpg

On a more serious note, presumably, CU is making some $$$ on this. Why 1 tour a year? Why not 10-15?
It's really good for Boulder businesses as well. Especially the bands that attract us older folks who, if coming from a distance, are going to stay in a hotel rather than camp in a parking lot.

On a more serious note, presumably, CU is making some $$$ on this. Why 1 tour a year? Why not 10-15?
It's really good for Boulder businesses as well. Especially the bands that attract us older folks who, if coming from a distance, are going to stay in a hotel rather than camp in a parking lot.
this came up last year. my thoughts then and now:
  • very few bands can attract crowds big enough to book football stadiums. The Rolling Stones, Taylor Swift, Garth Brooks -- not too many others can do that. I'm suprised Dead & Co could -- Folsom is the largest venue booked by any GD spin-off band on tour, by far. Usually football stadiums get booked for multi-headliner events these days
  • when a band does come into the Denver metro area that can justify that crowd, it usually needs the city of DENVER to draw from. Dicks or Mile High or even Coors are going to be the first choices. again, I'm surprised Dead & Co was able to do it, but they did have some GD history at Folsom to pull from and some tradition playing July 4th weekend there as Dead & Co. I can't think of another artist or group that is (a) actively touring (b) able to draw crowds of 50k (c) more well received in Boulder than Denver

God no. I hope everyone had a great time. And if I never have to hear a Dead song ever again, we all win.
I have no idea who you like to listen to but I have no question that there are plenty of people who feel the same way towards it as you do about the dead,

Difference is that odds are that there won't be enough people who want to hear yours to fill stadiums in 50 years,

this came up last year. my thoughts then and now:
  • very few bands can attract crowds big enough to book football stadiums. The Rolling Stones, Taylor Swift, Garth Brooks -- not too many others can do that. I'm suprised Dead & Co could -- Folsom is the largest venue booked by any GD spin-off band on tour, by far. Usually football stadiums get booked for multi-headliner events these days
  • when a band does come into the Denver metro area that can justify that crowd, it usually needs the city of DENVER to draw from. Dicks or Mile High or even Coors are going to be the first choices. again, I'm surprised Dead & Co was able to do it, but they did have some GD history at Folsom to pull from and some tradition playing July 4th weekend there as Dead & Co. I can't think of another artist or group that is (a) actively touring (b) able to draw crowds of 50k (c) more well received in Boulder than Denver
I think you are right about the conditions needed that make Dead and Co successful and others leery. I suspect George’s doors are open to anyone that wants to try it and do business with us but the market just isnt there.

According to the Wikipedia it was indeed a multi band show that set the record for Folsom.

The largest crowd ever at Folsom Field was in 1977 for a rock concert, one of the popular Colorado Sun Day concert series. The attendance on May 1 was an estimated 61,500 (exceeding the seating capacity by about 9,000) for a show featuring Fleetwood Mac, Bob Seger, Firefall, and John Sebastian.

The largest crowd for a CU football game at Folsom Field was 54,972 in 2005, against in-state rival Colorado State

I have no idea who you like to listen to but I have no question that there are plenty of people who feel the same way towards it as you do about the dead,

Difference is that odds are that there won't be enough people who want to hear yours to fill stadiums in 50 years,
It’s ok MTN. Everyone likes at least one band that sucks. You can be comforted by the fact that lots of people like the same ****ty band as you!

RG made those necessary moves to keep CU relevant in college athletics. A safe football HC hire would have not been good at all since I think the fanbase would have shrunk and the Big 12 would have not invited us.

I think the best way to commemorate the occasion of RG going from fire to build a statue is to build a statue of him getting fired.

Back